Small Stone or Phase 90?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Small Stone or Phase 90?

Post by jason41224 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:49 pm

hey, looking for a small, cheap phaser. These two keep coming up everywhere. I'm fine with a lack of control, just as long as they sound good. I've watched youtube videos, but the only comparisons between the two seem to have sorta bad sound quality. Does anyone own/love one of these?

EDIT: by Phase 90, i mean any of them. Script, Block, EVH...whatever.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

artoo

Re: Small Stone or Phase 90?

Post by artoo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:19 pm

I used a small stone for years but was recently converted to the 1974 reissue phase 90. I had an LED added by analogman but you can easily tell whether it is on or not.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm currently using the regular phase 90. Love it. Got tired of dialing in phase tones with multiple knobs and never being satisfied. Too much...too little etc.. One speed knob, the rest is just right where it needs to be. Very clear, good tone. One phaser that does interest me though is the re-issued ibanez jet flanger. Big footprint though

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:36 am

I use the EVH Phase 90. One knob is all I need to fiddle with...
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 am

I had a basic orange Phase 90 for years. Couldn't find anything better until I came across the Retro-Sonic Phaser. :D
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 am

I think the mxr orange phase 90 really sets the bar for reliability, tone, and ease of use, it's my choice. but I bet the small stone is great too. Sorry, nothing more to add than that, but I like the mxr housings best too, very small footprints and durable as all get out. Of course the small stone has a similar footprint. I like EHX pedals too, though.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:04 am

I have the Nano Small Stone and the color switch is nice to have. In one position it's sort of more or less like the phase 90, and then in the other position it's warmer, slower, and slightly more lo-fi sounding. It works well enough with my R30, too. No complaints really. If anything it's a bit more warbly than the Phase 90, if that makes ANY sense at all.

That said, I have thought about selling it for a phase 90, but what I really want is to pick up an older Phase 100 at some point.

Powerslave
Tiny Terror

Post by Powerslave » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 am

Just to throw in something completely different - I would highly recommend the Phaser made by Providence (PHF-1 Phase Force).

I went to the store with a view to walk-away with one of the MXR Phasers - based on reputation, sound clips, reviews, etc.

A/B'd a couple of Phasers including the MXR variants, and finally the Providence - stunning!

Works great through the front of my R30, and though the loop of my RV50 MKII.

Not cheap, but one for the long-haul. Seems a solid build, also.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:45 am

I had a small stone - was happy enough with it.

If you're looking for a cheap & reliable unit, you won't go wrong with either.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

DiabloS
Orange Master

Small Stone or Phase 90?

Post by DiabloS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:39 am

Wired wrote:I had a basic orange Phase 90 for years. Couldn't find anything better until I came across the Retro-Sonic Phaser. :D
Nice, I use a Retro-Sonic phaser too! It's my only other effect pedal aside from my wah. I'd recommend it to the OP top, but it's not exactly on the cheap side, not crazy expensive either though.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 pm

yeah, no retro-sonic or providenc for me. i'm just trying to keep it simple and cheap. can't get much cheaper than $50 used without looking at Danelectro or Behringer. i have to admit i've been leaning more towards a small stone. it seems more "wah-ish" on slower settings, which is exactly what i want. on higher settings, it still sounds good too (as long as it's not cranked!)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 am

well, i went to Guitar Center to have my tele repaired (bad switch, bad strap button, scratchy pots, etc.), and while the tech was taking a look at it i got a chance to try out a block-logo phase 90 through a TT (the only Orange my GC carries). my thoughts:

1) i like the phase 90. a lot. a lot. it does that kinda slow-wah like setting when you put the speed at minimum, and it sounds very good still with the speed reasonably high (and it's still not totally unusable at max either, unlike the Small Stone). i know a lot of people complain about the block logo adding mids and distortion, but i heard neither. actually sounded like the pedal was very transparent, and worked really well for both clean funk stuff and for distortion. i think i might be sold! :D

2) the TT was plugged into a Raven 412, and i can honestly say it sounded like sh!t. i've never seen how drastically speakers can affect the sound for better or worse until today. it used to be plugged into an Epiphone Valve Jr. 112 and that sounded MILES better (though i'm sure it was still a cheap speaker). just food for thought, i guess.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:23 pm

jason41224 wrote:well, i went to Guitar Center to have my tele repaired (bad switch, bad strap button, scratchy pots, etc.), and while the tech was taking a look at it i got a chance to try out a block-logo phase 90 through a TT (the only Orange my GC carries). my thoughts:

1) i like the phase 90. a lot. a lot. it does that kinda slow-wah like setting when you put the speed at minimum, and it sounds very good still with the speed reasonably high (and it's still not totally unusable at max either, unlike the Small Stone). i know a lot of people complain about the block logo adding mids and distortion, but i heard neither. actually sounded like the pedal was very transparent, and worked really well for both clean funk stuff and for distortion. i think i might be sold! :D

2) the TT was plugged into a Raven 412, and i can honestly say it sounded like sh!t. i've never seen how drastically speakers can affect the sound for better or worse until today. it used to be plugged into an Epiphone Valve Jr. 112 and that sounded MILES better (though i'm sure it was still a cheap speaker). just food for thought, i guess.

yeah speakers are so often overlooked or an after thought, but they are really important to your sound. I guess, it's kinda hard to try different types of speakers as you already have so much money tied up in decent cab, that you just usually can't swing speaker experimentation. I've been wanting to try gh30's for ever, but my v30's in my ppc412 will just have to do for now, although if I ever find a good deal on a 40th anniversary orange cab, I'm going to get it.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:43 pm

when i get my PPC212OB, i'm going to swap out one of the V30s for a G12H.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals