Orange Cab Made in PRC?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

agreatheight

Orange Cab Made in PRC?

Post by agreatheight » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:18 pm

So I saw an amazing deal on HELLO music for an Orange 1x12 (PPC112) and was a little shocked to see that is was made in PRC (People's Republic of China) when it arrived. What's the deal on that? Has this always been the case? Or is this something new? How can one tell where an Orange piece is being made?

Thanks in advance.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange Cab Made in PRC?

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:47 pm

The 1x12 has always been made in China, as have the open back 2x12 and the 4x10 guitar cab. All other Orange cabs are UK assembled.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

agreatheight

Post by agreatheight » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks Le Chat! What about heads and combos? I try hard to avoid buying products and services from countries that do not pay a living wage (but it is hard when things are this confusing). I am specifically thinking about getting a Rocker 30 head or combo, but can get something else - even it costs more.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:12 pm

agreatheight wrote:I try hard to avoid buying products and services from countries that do not pay a living wage (but it is hard when things are this confusing).
I think most people would be surprised to see a typical Chinese electronics factory - clean, sanitary and the staff are on a good wage for someone living in China. I don't think slave labour should be an objection to buying foreign goods, else you may as well not buy any modern amplifier as almost all the internal components are Chinese-made! A 'UK made' Orange still has its PCB populated in china, then the case, tolex etc are 'assembled' here. I think it's more valid to talk about of reliability and QC, which varies from company to company.

As an aside, people seem to be a lot more emotional than rational about guitar amps, far moreso than any other electrical goods. I bet almost everyone who gets on their high horse about Chinese amps and supporting our local workforces regarding amps still probably has a Chinese microwave, television, computer, mobile phone, etc, etc...
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 pm

The Rocker 30 is 'Made in England' except for the parts that Le Chat Noir mentioned. If it really irks you then maybe look into the AD50 or other handwired amps.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 pm

even companies that build in the UK, US or other reputable exporters still get all their parts from places like PRK, PRC, etc. it's just the way it works. all heads and combos are built in the UK except for the Terror series and the Thunder (but not Thunderverb) series. the PPC112, 410, and 212OB are also built in asia, but the PPC212, 412, and 412HP are either UK or US built (i believe they built some in the US, correct?)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

agreatheight

Post by agreatheight » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I can apprecaite your perspective. Sorry to open a can of worms. I am not trying to "soap box" to anyone, I am just trying to do right in my own mind. Skip this next paragraph if you like!

I try to keep as much of my money local & small business / non-corporation as I can. When that is not possible, I try to keep as much of my money in the US on primarily US made / sourced goods as I can. When that is not possible, I try to keep as much of my money in countries that, in my mind, have economic need and I try to avoid countries that, in my mind, have excess montetary power. I try to avoid countries that, in my mind, do not pay a fair wage or have less than ideal working conditions. I try to buy used local as much as possible. Nothing to do with quality. Nothing to do with race. I am not a hippy, or a crazy guy, just someone who wants to exert thought over where his dollars wind up, as best he can. With all that in mind, PRC falls way to the bottom of my list in terms of where I'd like to buy stuff from. I am not saying I am right, and I am not trying to change anyone's mind. Just doing what I can. My last head purchase was hand made 15 miles from my home using lots of domestic parts (http://www.thirdageamplifiers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)!

BTW, I am not returning the cab, I am not even upset about it - just a little taken aback is all. But no worries, I get stuff wrong all the time! No big deal, I'd just like to make a more informed descision on my next Orange purchase, if I can!

Thanks!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:05 pm

No worries, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you. I'm sure your intentions are noble, but it's impossible to avoid Chinese goods these days and any amp you buy will be at least part-assembled in China or contain many Chinese-made components - there's no avoiding it!

For current production 'domestic' Oranges (UK that is :P), look to the AD range, Rockerverb range and Thunderverb range (not Thunder 30 or 100) plus the custom shop jobs.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Cars=Japan, Amps=England, Underwear=Hanes

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:09 am

They put the country of origin on the back of the cabs and amps for those who are interested in that sort of information. Of course, you don't always get to see a shot of the back if you order online, so that could explain it. Stores seem to omit that sort of information a lot.

I might mention that while the standard of living has been dropping sharply in Western nations recently, the standard of living in places like China, India, and Vietnam has been skyrocketing over the last decade or so. The wages have increased so much in some areas that children not only do not have to work in the fields any longer, but their parents can actually afford to send them to school now. There's actually a lot of information out there on the webz if you want to know what actually takes place when new factories open up in poor parts of the world. Most of the anecdotal nonsense that I hear on the subject is usually misinformation motivated by politics or job protection.

yossarian83
Orange Hero

Post by yossarian83 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -nets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 am

Are you implying that we should therefore extrapolate and say all Chinese workplaces are unsafe? My response to the Foxcon thing was more 'glad I don't buy Apple' than thinking I shouldn't buy any Chinese goods at all. Though of course workplace laws are more lax in China, it was Apple who chose to exploit it and not all employers do.

http://www.good.is/post/apple-ranked-de ... -in-china/

Anyway - what sort of computers are we all typing away at? Mine was definitely made in China and I bet yours was too, so I don't think any of us can get on our high horses just because we buy UK or US 'assembled' amps!

Chinese suicide rate: 13.9 per 100000
US suicide rate: 11.10 per 100000

Not exactly a huge difference if we're going to go by suicide as a measure of workforce happiness!

Russia's suicide rate is 31.7 per 100000, almost 3 times higher, but I bet nobody here is going to boycott Russian tubes as a result.

I maintain that most people's objection to Chinese-produced goods is largely emotional and possibly slightly xenophobic. The basic delineation generally seems to be 'buying goods made by caucasians in the West = good, buying goods made by anyone else = bad', without really understanding any of the complex underlying issues.

I'd love to live in a world where we all sustainably produced goods and food in mutually supportive, localised economies, but the only way we'll ever end up like that again is when the oil runs out and our ability to shift stuff all over the globe comes to a halt... along with a huge correction in the numbers of our species.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Just stay outta Walmart and you'll be fine! :lol:

But I definitely try and support local whenever I can - the best way to "vote" is with your dollars, so I too try to support companies/services that I can feel good about. Of course, there are things that are unavoidable - and that's typically the electronics: my TV, phone, car, etc.

And seriously, stay outta Walmart...
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:23 pm

myboss57 wrote:Just stay outta Walmart and you'll be fine! :lol:

But I definitely try and support local whenever I can - the best way to "vote" is with your dollars, so I too try to support companies/services that I can feel good about. Of course, there are things that are unavoidable - and that's typically the electronics: my TV, phone, car, etc.

And seriously, stay outta Walmart...
You want the many thousands of unskilled workers currently employed by Wal-Mart to be laid-off :D ?

Colonel Sanders

Post by Colonel Sanders » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:27 pm

I would be willing to bet that the PC boards in the ''Made in UK'' Orange are soldered in China and the only part of the Made in England is stitching the sub-assemblies together. This being said, the PT and OPT are definitely made in UK.
Fender Precision 1969, Fender Jazz 1975, Rickenbacker 4003 1990 Jetglo, Rickenbacker 4001v63 1997 Fireglo, Rickenbacker 4003 2011 Mapleglo, Steinberger L2 1983, Orange AD200B mk3/OBC115, Eden WT550/410XLT.