Kneel before me...for my name is GAS and I shall SMITE THEE!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

savage8190
Orange Master

Kneel before me...for my name is GAS and I shall SMITE THEE!

Post by savage8190 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:28 am

About two months ago both my laptop hard drive failed, AND my backup failed. It was pretty devastating...mostly because we could have lost every single family photo we had. I took the drive to a recovery place...2000 bucks. I scraped up the cash from everywhere I could, including my 335 fund, and had it ready to go...what choice did I have, what little hesitation I had was immediately removed by my wife.

Before we did I decided I had to try and see what I could do, so I contacted all our family members, and had everyone search for what they had. Miraculously we were able to recover damn near every photo...we're not sure how, but I guess at some point we had hooked our pc into one of the family's back up drives, and for some reason it backed them all up. Hows that for a stroke of luck! They were all older ones, but Facebook, which I hate a little less now, made up the rest.

So there I was, happy as hell, with a big wad of money I wasn't supposed to have...and then the 335 gas came back. I damn near escaped it, but then I saw this one...a 50th anniversary 1958 335 that someone had traded in and had just been marked down. Id been looking for one with a fat neck, and this baby plays like butter. Id also been itching for a Fender amp and they had this Deville sitting next to it, its the new version III, a trade in that's mint, and half the price of new. Fate maybe ;).

Well, my wife thinks Im nuts, and my wallet's a hell of a lot lighter for the foreseeable future, but Im a happy camper. Ive had it for about a month now and I just managed to put it down now for a quick photo :).

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Kneel before me...for my name is GAS and I shall SMITE THEE!

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Wow...that's a much better way to spend $2,000 if you ask me. It just goes to show you that guitars are awesome and computers are dumb. I hope you invested in a flash drive or something for your pics though.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:18 pm

beautiful looking guitar, and looks even nicer sitting in front of the amp.

Do yourself a favour and hit Wal Mart and pick up a secondary hard drive, for just around $100.00 you can get a 1.5 terrabyte hard drive that will hold approx 1600 movies (or more depending on the file size which is usually 700mb or 1.36g per movie) and you can store all of your friends and families photos on the hard drive, as well as back up your entire music collection in mp3 format and it weighs about 2.lbs and you can even hook it up to your dvd player and watch your movies right from the hard drive (as long as your dvd player plays divx but $45.00 bucks Wal Mart and you can have one of them too).
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:37 pm

What a beautiful setup!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Might want to look into Cloud storage. Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, etc. I'm thinking of moving to this sort of backup. There's way less chance of their high end servers wiping your data than a $50 hard drive, CDs, DVDs, computer hard drives, etc.

Nice Guitfiddle too. ;)

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Oh Im not too worried about backups now. Now I have two clone drives...one sitting in my office, a second in my pc and I plan to rotate them... and Ive put all the pictures on dvd's as well.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Congrats finally...
always a good sign I think if it's hard to put down :D
Paul.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Wow... beautiful guitar!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:48 am

Ohara wrote:beautiful looking guitar, and looks even nicer sitting in front of the amp.

Do yourself a favour and hit Wal Mart and pick up a secondary hard drive, for just around $100.00 you can get a 1.5 terrabyte hard drive that will hold approx 1600 movies (or more depending on the file size which is usually 700mb or 1.36g per movie) and you can store all of your friends and families photos on the hard drive, as well as back up your entire music collection in mp3 format and it weighs about 2.lbs and you can even hook it up to your dvd player and watch your movies right from the hard drive (as long as your dvd player plays divx but $45.00 bucks Wal Mart and you can have one of them too).
+1 I backup my shizzle regularly.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:38 am

beautiful guitar... i'm jonesing for a"lucile" right now, LOVE the way they sound
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 pm

very nice :D
Mark

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:23 pm

You know its funny too, but I was just looking at that photo, and I dont really play the 335 with the Fender. I think the 335 sounds better through my Vox, but my Les Paul kills through that Deville...that is a perfect pairing if there ever was one...and the Fender is the PERFECT platform for my Big Muff too. Ive never heard it sound so lush...

I just wish it had a master volume on the normal channel, the first day I used it it left my ears ringing a bit...that sucker is loud.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Congrats there!

Them deville are a bit of an enigma to me - i never really like them when i try them personnaly, but have seen bands using them to great effect, so i know they can sound nice. Just not in my hands!!! :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

stunning slice of wood you go there! I love ES-335's, stunning machines. A true piece of art.

yea, I run multiple backups too, but you never know what will happen. I have 3 drives with photos on it, and one of them is a network drive and it gets all the photos first. Then I got my big mem cards, and I use my old ipod classic as a mobile hard drive with my ipod camera interface. Finally, nothing gets deleted from the memory card until I have physical copies of the photos printed off. :)

the scarriest was when I came back from shooting my cousins wedding and forgot the memory card in my pocket. It went through the wash!!!! Amazingly... card still works to this day.

on another note... $2000 for hard drive recovery is highway robbery. A local store here has done mine for $100. I got back everything I needed too...thankfuly. After that I started backing stuff up more often.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Wired wrote:stunning slice of wood you go there! I love ES-335's, stunning machines. A true piece of art.

yea, I run multiple backups too, but you never know what will happen. I have 3 drives with photos on it, and one of them is a network drive and it gets all the photos first. Then I got my big mem cards, and I use my old ipod classic as a mobile hard drive with my ipod camera interface. Finally, nothing gets deleted from the memory card until I have physical copies of the photos printed off. :)

the scarriest was when I came back from shooting my cousins wedding and forgot the memory card in my pocket. It went through the wash!!!! Amazingly... card still works to this day.

on another note... $2000 for hard drive recovery is highway robbery. A local store here has done mine for $100. I got back everything I needed too...thankfuly. After that I started backing stuff up more often.
Yeah, well at least they had a policy where you dont pay if your not happy with the recovery. They had to open it up and repair it to get anything, and even then it failed before they got much. It was pretty easy to walk away from it...Im just glad things worked out.

I talked to a few places and the price was about the same from all of them...its crazy. I just cant believe both my drives failed at the same time...stupid western digital. Their back up drives have failed me more often than my actual drives that get used constantly. Wont ever be buying another product from them...