Problems with my AD30TC

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Problems with my AD30TC

Post by Bandeapart » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:16 am

Okay, so here's my issue(s). A few months ago, my amp started making some odd noises on all channels. After it was powered up and turned on for a while, it started. I recorded the sound with my iphone:

http://soundcloud.com/philrobles/memo-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So I thought that this might be a tube issue. I pulled the amp portion off the speaker cab and oops... I created a second problem... I pulled too hard and ripped one of the wires out of the speaker connectors. This seems way too difficult to get the wire back in the little metal connector and probably easier to just replace the speaker cable all together. I always hated how short that damn cable was anyway, so I would rather replace it with a longer one so I could connect it to an external cabinet if I choose to do so someday.

So now I have two problems and I would love help to fix both of them.

1. Where can I get a new speaker cable to connect to my speakers? Keep in mind, this is the AD30TC combo amp. One end of the cable needs to split off and connect directly to the speakers. I don't need something amazingly over-priced, I'm broke, I just need something that works as well as the stock one.

2. What the hell is this sound and where is it coming from? It's irritating and I want it fixed!
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Re: Problems with my AD30TC

Post by Bandeapart » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:19 am

...oh yeah, in my sound clip, those aren't radio frequencies I'm picking up, those are my band mates speaking in the background.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:03 pm

If I was replacing the speaker cable I'd simply go buy a short-ish speaker cable and modify it to work for the combo. Make sure you pay close attention to positive and negative.

As far as the other problem, I'd get the cable sorted first and bring it to a tech. Maybe carbon build-up on tube sockets? or something else? Either way, I'd let a tech sort it out...

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:33 pm

I'm a moron with wiring things. There's no website where I could just buy a replacement?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:39 pm

I usually have my local music shop make up custom cables for me. If you have a decent shop in your area that does service work, I'd see if they can help.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Do you know anyone that can solder... I'd get them to remove all 4 of them spade connections to the speakers and solder them direct to the speaker lugs.
It needs to be someone competent though....if they get too much heat on the lugs its possible the thin braided wires to the speaker coil could detach too.
Paul.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:59 am

OrangePaul wrote:Do you know anyone that can solder... I'd get them to remove all 4 of them spade connections to the speakers and solder them direct to the speaker lugs.
It needs to be someone competent though....if they get too much heat on the lugs its possible the thin braided wires to the speaker coil could detach too.
The only person I know that solders is as incompetent as me with it. "Just throw tons of solder all over it til they're connected." That's the way I roll.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:25 am

That sounds like arcing to me.
http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/popping.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:45 pm

a.hun wrote:That sounds like arcing to me.
http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/popping.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.

Thanks!

Is it safe to pull one tube at a time and run it with only 3 tubes? I had a feeling it might be the tubes because the only issues I've ever had with this amp are with the tubes.

It seems to be a death box for them. I'm starting to question my choice of a combo amp and I'm starting to think I wanna trade someone for a head with a 2x12 version.