can the orange 2x12 handle a twin reverb reissue?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hithere
Orange Expert

can the orange 2x12 handle a twin reverb reissue?

Post by hithere » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:05 pm

with the ted weber z matcher can my orange 2x12 (2 vintage 30s rated at 120 watts at the guitar center website... and 240 on the orange site) not sure what is up with that

can make twin reverb reissues 85 watts run through this orange cabinet on 10?

Some are telling me the twin really puts out more than 85 watts....

also which is the correct output of the orange cabinet 240 or 120 watts?

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: can the orange 2x12 handle a twin reverb reissue?

Post by Icarus » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:38 pm

The orange 2x12s are 120watts. 2 X V30's which are 60watts a piece.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:39 am

Yeah, the 2x12 is 120watts - even with the twin on full bore I think you'll be completely fine.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

hithere wrote:with the ted weber z matcher can my orange 2x12 (2 vintage 30s rated at 120 watts at the guitar center website... and 240 on the orange site) not sure what is up with that

can make twin reverb reissues 85 watts run through this orange cabinet on 10?

Some are telling me the twin really puts out more than 85 watts....

also which is the correct output of the orange cabinet 240 or 120 watts?
Amps have power output ratings, speakers have power handling ratings. :wink:

Valve amps are normally rated for their clean output power - before distortion or at a certain level of distortion, often 5%THD. Fully cranked into distortion they will indeed put out more than that rating. Anything up to double in fact.

Speaker power rating methods vary. Strange but true there is no universal standard. Celestions have always been very conservatively rated and basically their guitar speakers will normally handle the full distorted power output of an amp with the same (clean) rating as their speakers. I say 'normally' because some amps will actually put out more than their clean rating or have a much higher peak output than others of similar ratings. Old 100W Marshalls, Hiwatts and some others for example were also very conservatively rated and could often put out anyhting up to about 140W clean. They were easily capable of blowing 100W rated Celestion filled cabs, so people used to simply double up the cabs. Thats exactly how the classic twin 4x12 cab Marshall stack came about.

Although Celestions are pretty conservative with their power handling ratings, most other speaker manufacturers aren't so cautious. If using other makes of speakers I'd always use rather higher rated drivers, at least 150 - 200% of the amps clean rating to be safer. No bad idea with Celestions either frankly...

Good thread on a lot of that stuff.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=277137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I'm sure an 85W Twin would be safe with the Orange 2x12. I'm not quite so sure how you'll like the sound of the V.30s with a Fender. Might be a bit edgy sounding in the upper mids , or that might not be a problem at all. Certainly worth a try I'd say, though I really haven't tried that combination myself. If not, well the Twin Reverb is a fantastic amp and has its own speakers anyway. If that isn't loud enough on its own you're probably in deep trouble...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!