G&l vs Gibson

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

reallyloud

G&l vs Gibson

Post by reallyloud » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:00 pm

So I'm sort of torn between getting a G&l asat classic or a Gibson Les Paul. Which guitar do you prefer? Any G&l fans out here?

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Re: G&l vs Gibson

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Yeah, i've got an ASAT - it's just an ASAT, although they're now called the "Special" models.

What can I say? Rock solid build quality - i've owned a few (another ASAT, a Comanche and an Invader XL) and they've all sounded good and been set up very well. I'd feel pretty happy buying one used, and all of mine were bought used.

In terms of a Gibby or G&L, the ASAT Classic is much more like a Tele with some extra balls than a Les Paul. So if you want a LP, get a LP. If you're looking for a Tele-style guitar, the G&Ls are great, and you get a lot for your money when you buy used. I've made a profit on all of mine and had some good years of use out of them too. As mentioned, i've still got one.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:38 pm

^what he said. if you aren't really hurting for a Fender or Gibson type guitar, i'd take the G&L any day. great guitars period, even better when you consider the price. Gibby's are nice and all, but their quality is hit and miss (at best)

if you've already got a tele, or a les paul, and not the other...well, you know what to do ;) i went against conventional wisdom...i had a Les Paul and a tele with HB's, and i ended up selling the LP for...you got it, another tele (but single coils). but i still have humbuckers and single coils covered, they both just happen to be tele flavored.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:07 pm

I have both an ASAT classic and a Gibson LP std. The ASAT classic is half the price of a Gibson LP std. G&L doesn't make lemons. For Gibson you will need to play a few until you find a really good one.

That being said. It all depends what you are looking for out of a guitar. If you want a darker, chunkier tele then go with the ASAT. If you want that signature humbucker tone then go with the Gibson.
Monty

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote: That being said. It all depends what you are looking for out of a guitar. If you want a darker, chunkier tele then go with the ASAT. If you want that signature humbucker tone then go with the Gibson.
I couldn't find better ways to describe it.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Horrendous pun warning: Dunno, but pretty sure both can be played reallyloud.... :oops:

More seriously, as said by all before, very different guitars really, unless that g&l can be had with mahogany body and neck with humbuckers, like fender do for one of their tele.

What guitars do you already have?

What makes you fancy them both?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm

No offense, but an ASAT or a LP poll? What are you after a LP guitar or a Tele guitar? That's pretty cut and dry I'd say.

If you were comparing ASAT's to Fender Teles, then there would be some debate for sure. But an ASAT and a LP are completely different animals.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm

He could like the feel of one and like the sound of other :wink:

That is how I was... so I got both. If you don't have the funds to do that, then you can always do a p-up change. If you want an LP sound in the ASAT, maybe through some Seymour Duncan Little 59's in there. As far as making an LP sound like a Tele... P-94's I guess? That really doesn't do it, but it's probably as close as you will get.
Monty

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 am

Just as a quick heads up, G&L DO make ASAT type models with mahogany bodies and humbuckers in. Flat top, carved top, hollow bodies... take your pick. They're a bit less common than the standard ASAT models.

I like my ASAT standard... got some muscle and bite and is my favourite for straight up mid-gain rock sounds. The soapbar size MFD pickups they use are like better P90s (in my book).
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:15 pm

I just recently picked up an ASAT Special Tribute and that thing is great. Love it - like Joe said - it's Tele like, but definitely not all Tele. The Classic is supposed to be similar with single sized MFD's, no?

But to echo everyone else - if you want a LP-style guitar, get one of those. If you want a Tele-style guitar, get one of those. The ASAT can't sound like a Gibby.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

reallyloud

Post by reallyloud » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Horrendous pun warning: Dunno, but pretty sure both can be played reallyloud.... :oops:

More seriously, as said by all before, very different guitars really, unless that g&l can be had with mahogany body and neck with humbuckers, like fender do for one of their tele.

What guitars do you already have?

What makes you fancy them both?
hahah,my band is called Loud? we're all about stupid puns.

When we recorded I played out of an asat classic and it was lovely.
I have a fender tele thinline, and an epiphone les paul, and I really like the humbucker sound, so I want to test the fields out, while I wait for a good bargain on either.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:25 pm

If you want to upgrade on your current offering, I'd think the thinline tele probably is a better guitar than your epi - depending on which epi you have, some of them are realy good.

Based on that alone, I'd go for a LP - especially if you prefer humbcuker sound.
That said, not all LP are equal in that depending on the woods and pick up used, there is quite a bit of variety. The will all be LPish, but some will be brighter, some a lot more aggressive and hot, with a few possibilities in between.

Good luck anyway!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Yeah, some of the Epis play nicely. If it's got stock pickups in, a better bet might be to upgrade them to something decent that opens out your tone a bit. If you've got that & a humbuckered thinline, I can't see why you'd want another humbucker guitar unless you're trading in the Epi.

And as the guys said, you'd have to hunt for a while to find a Gibby that was definitely better.

The ASAT Classic is nice, but I actually prefer the 'Special' models.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:54 pm

You know Joe, the only two dogs I've played from Gibson where guitars the shops kept in to demonstrate amps with, that were already beaten and abused.

Every new gibson I've tried in a shop where really really nice, well set up, and good tone. May be I was lucky on those twenty odd occasions in the last 4 years?
Admittedly I've seen one SG 61RI that had a dreadfully matched 2 piece body.

But from custom shop guitars to basement bargains from gibson, i've been really impressed and keep wondering why everybody goes on and on about how half of their stock is so awful.

On LP & ES, the appearance of the maple top will be a highly subjective thing though - I've known of friend sending 2 LP back before settling on the 3rd to get the top of his dreams. But the other two were lovely too, just not as flamed as he'd wanted it.

Funnily enough, I have played plenty fenders too, most of whom left me really disappointed - American standards and deluxes, that just sounded dead, some with horrible set up too.

At this stage, I'd be more wary buying blind sighted from fender than from gibson. YMMV?????
Ant

DiabloS
Orange Master

G&l vs Gibson

Post by DiabloS » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:You know Joe, the only two dogs I've played from Gibson where guitars the shops kept in to demonstrate amps with, that were already beaten and abused.

Every new gibson I've tried in a shop where really really nice, well set up, and good tone. May be I was lucky on those twenty odd occasions in the last 4 years?
Admittedly I've seen one SG 61RI that had a dreadfully matched 2 piece body.

But from custom shop guitars to basement bargains from gibson, i've been really impressed and keep wondering why everybody goes on and on about how half of their stock is so awful.

On LP & ES, the appearance of the maple top will be a highly subjective thing though - I've known of friend sending 2 LP back before settling on the 3rd to get the top of his dreams. But the other two were lovely too, just not as flamed as he'd wanted it.

Funnily enough, I have played plenty fenders too, most of whom left me really disappointed - American standards and deluxes, that just sounded dead, some with horrible set up too.

At this stage, I'd be more wary buying blind sighted from fender than from gibson. YMMV?????
I've had the exact same experience, I've owned 7 Gibsons, some of them ordered sight unseen and all of them have been great players and have sounded great. I'd say about 3 or 4 of them had a great setup out of the factory and the others needed slight adjustements, no biggie when buying a new guitar. I've also tried tons of Gibsons at music stores and only found a couple that were duds. They might let a few slip by for quality control compared to years ago, but they still make great guitars in my book.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror