IEM Suggestion

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nguideau
Orange Master

IEM Suggestion

Post by nguideau » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey everyone, I have a friend that was looking for a good in ear monitor solution for singing. He had some cheap wireless that wasn't synchronized well, so that's the biggest thing. What have you guys used for this? Even if it has been for guitar, I assume the concept is the same. Super high fidelity is not critical -- should sound good, but quick response I think is most important here.

Thanks!
- Nathan

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: IEM Suggestion

Post by bclaire » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:35 pm

In-ears are not something you buy on the cheap or without research IMHO. You want something that first and foremost WORKS and protects your hearing while allowing you to hear what you need to hear, which isn't just your own voice.

We went through this several years ago and the higher end Shure system was what we went with. The BEST in-ears of course, are the ones you have molded to your ear canal, but there are many other choices out there with different fitting ear buds.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Re: IEM Suggestion

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Hey Nathan

He shouldn't be having any sort of problem with it synchronising (I assume you mean transmitting without a delay) as even most of the cheaper units do that fine. I've used the nice Shure & Sennheiser units when depping in for other bands, and have used cheap systems too (DB Technologies & Trantec) and both of them have been fine.

If you mean it keeps dropping in & out of signal (and it's a wireless unit), then the battery is probably running low. If it uses a 9v battery, when it drops below 7v charge, the signal starts naffing out on you. Change the battery, and see if that helps. Also, try keeping the transmitter on stage if there's a stagebox return for it. They don't have a limitless range...

Like Bill said, the earbuds you use will have a big effect on the sound. I've got moulded twin driver earphones, and they're lush, but I do vocals as well so I like having them. Awesome iPod earphones...

You can use good non-moulded IEMs too, and many people are happy with those too. If you sing, they're a little more susceptible to something called the occlusion effect (Google it!), which in a nutshell is the noise you get in your head when you stick your fingers in your ears and sing... it kind of reverberates a bit and can put some people off. Mouldies help a lot for this, but if you don't sing, it's not an issue.

Cheap earphones will distort easily and sound tinny. Don't go there.

Other things to think about... is anyone else using wireless kit which might cut in either on or near that frequency? Worth checking. If your mate is pretty static, it might be worth thinking about getting a wired IEM unit. Will solve any wireless / battery charge issues in one go.

Oh, and MAKE SURE that when he dials the monitor mix in and sets the level, he does it with both ears in, whether or not he takes one ear out. You can risk damaging your hearing by setting it too high with only one in, and your brain gets confused if you've got a much higher SPL on only one side of your head.

Have to say, having used them for a bit, I love IEMs now... hate it when I have to use wedges.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...