Looking for a simple looper pedal.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Looking for a simple looper pedal.

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm looking for a nice and simple looper pedal. No bells and whistles. It only needs to be able to play back what I was playing. Once I disengage it, then it can erase.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Monty

JoeDAndrea

Re: Looking for a simple looper pedal.

Post by JoeDAndrea » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:04 pm

I have the Boss RC-20XL. It's the middle one. I think they have a newer model now, but I like it a lot. I like that it has a separate pedal for recording and stopping. It also has 11 "phrases" if you want to keep some for later or something. I like it a lot. I'm sure the smaller stomp box style one isn't bad either though.

Here's mine: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-RC-20X ... 2017173.gc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:05 pm

akai headrush e2 is as simple as it gets. depends on how much looping time you need though.

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:05 pm

I use an AKAI Headrush e2. It's got two footswitches. One switch works as a "record" switch, and the other one's like a "play/stop" switch (plays the recorded sound, which can be stopped and restarted by just tapping it more times.) I don't know of any decent loopers that aren't at least as complicated as that.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:18 am

+1 on the akai headrush 2. Very good basic looper that will not break the bank, but wish they had slapped just a little more memory in it. On extended loop you will get about 20 seconds. Excellent for layering though. I often start with a bass layer, then swap to 6 string and lay down a rhythm layer then noodle to my heart's content along with the bass & rhythm. That unit was made famous by KT Tuntall on Black Horse and the Cherry Tree and others. Very solid construction. Totally useless user manual, but it is so intuitive you will be up and running in under 5 minutes.
Recommend it, but if you want long loops look elsewhere.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 am

Another vote for the Akai here.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:19 am

i picked up the headrush.. after the 1st time it was mentioned here, with the kt tunstall bbh&act

its good, also serves as a digital delay and tape delay...

i dont use it often these days, but it does serve as a nice practice tool for jamming over chords, or developing parts by playing a section, then elaborating over it...

loopers in general can be pretty cool!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:47 am

I use the Boss RC-30 and it's niiiiiiice. It's easy to erase the loop and go to another, as well as having to stereo tracks/loops to switch between. Phantom Power is a plus.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Boss RC-2/RC-3 are great pedals.

You could build something like this: http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Loophole/Loophole.pdf

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:30 pm

My DD7 Boss has a looper function. It's actually not too bad. The delays are great too
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm

brianr0131 wrote:My DD7 Boss has a looper function. It's actually not too bad. The delays are great too
That's a great idea too. 40 seconds of loop time, if I'm not mistaken.

johnsna

Post by johnsna » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:34 am

+1 on the Boss RC-20xl. I've been playing one of those since Phil Keaggy blew my mind with one at a show in high school, and its the only piece of gear I own that actually made me better because it just compels you to practice soloing and your theory ;).

I haven't played the one the other guys are talking about here, but Boss just released the RC-30 and that thing is siiiick. The processing power in that thing just wipes the floor with the RC-20 (like 11 vs 100 presents and an easier interface) and I know that isn't what you're looking for, but I've seen about a 20 dollar price difference between the two and at that point, why not? Also, the guys at my local shop told me Boss is phasing out the RC20, so it might be your only option if you do go this route.

There are a lot of other loop pedals that I've heard good things about (I pile of poop you not, I've heard good things about the Digitech ones. But I am not vouching for it), but I really value the double pedal thing the RC-20 has going as mentioned above. I've played with DD7's and my Dad has an RC-2 that I am very familiar with, and I can't overstate how much I appreciate the dual pedal design when I use my loop station. Everything is much smoother and faster, and this lets you focus on the actual music instead of the constant 'hold the pedal for two seconds, play, tap, hold again, answer a riddle and say the magic words' that the one pedal loopers require. What looks like simplicity ends up being much more complex than a pedal that, at first, looks like more than you need.

I can't recommend picking a loop station up strongly enough, whatever you decide on. Most valuable piece of gear I own.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:38 am

I used to have a DD-6, but sold it recently. In that pedal it seemed like the loops were mapped to a grid. It was very hard to get loops to sound natural on the dd-6 because of that. They were always out of time (repeat started too soon or too late for some reason) no matter how well I timed it. I'll definitely give the DD-7 a try.

I wish someone just made an inexpensive simple loop pedal. 1 minute of time and it only stored the most recently played loop. It would probably only cost $100. Bummer.

Neiloler wrote:Boss RC-2/RC-3 are great pedals.

You could build something like this: http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Loophole/Loophole.pdf
I looked at the design. I haven't done circuits in 2 years so I'd imagine I would make a total mess. Thanks for the link. Definitely something to consider.
Monty

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:30 am

I have the Akai, too, but I wouldn't call it simple. The manual was wrong about its operation... lovely.

And again, I bought it, used it a few times, back on the shelf with the ebow, Strobotuner, and the Echoplex.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 pm

I also have the Boss RC-20XL and I've gotten along great with it. It's mainly an operator error if something doesn't come out right. I never used the presets since I have no idea what tempo I'll running on whatever song I'm playing that I'd like a loop. Cool idea though.

Maybe I just wasn't build to think in layers. More of a linear thinker.
Jabberwocky wrote:Totally useless user manual
There are some great companies making great products with useless user manuals. Now let's see, I bought my TT in 2006.... Now where did I put that manual?......
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;