Rockerverb 50 MkII w/el34, kt77, 6550, kt88 video

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

SorizonMann

Rockerverb 50 MkII w/el34, kt77, 6550, kt88 video

Post by SorizonMann » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:27 am

**Before anything else, I must say I do not recommend anyone to change their own power tubes without having a qualified technician adjust the bias. Tube amps contain lethal voltages!**

I hadn't read or heard much online of the Rockerverb MkII with different power tubes. So after being very happy with mine for almost a year now, I decided to finally experiment with different power tubes and learn for myself what the tonal differences are. I recorded some clips with each power tube (clean and high gain), with essentially the same EQ settings for both the clean and dirty channel. The only real changes I made were sometimes adjusting the bass on the dirty channel for the more bass-heavy tubes. I also experimented with different bias settings for each tube, since that significantly affected the tone as well. The clip only has the bias settings that I thought sounded best for that tube.

By the way the tubes in the preamp section for the distortion channel are EH 12ax7 in the first slot, then a JJ in the second. The rest of the preamp tubes in the amp are stock.

Here's my personal ranking and notes with the best sounding bias in parenthesis:

1) JJ KT88 (average bias) - amp sounds huge, really fills up the room more and greatly enhanced clarity from EL34s.
2) JJ 6550 (colder bias) - similar clarity and big sound as KT88s but more focused on lows and highs with a scooped mid. Bigger lows than the KT88.
3) Ruby BHT EL34s (average bias) - warmest, most compressed sound but a lot less definition than the higher powered tubes. Noisy distortion on recording was harder to hear live in the room.
4) JJ KT77 (hotter bias) - tighter than the EL34s and big lows, but sounded more sterile and I had the least fun playing them

I know there are lots of different power tube models, but I just got JJs for their affordability and mostly good reviews. I really love the KT88s, and to me they were the clear winner in the room and on recording. I made a huge step in my search for my perfect tone!

Recording chain: Bernie Rico Jr. Jeckyll 7 string - Rockerverb 50 mkII - (Effects loop) MXR Noisegate - Carbon Copy Delay - Orange PPC412 (v30s and g12k100s) - Vintage 30 - sm57 - BAE 1073MP and second mic on the other Vintage 30 - Sennheiser MD421 - Apogee Duet 2 mic pre

No post processing. The 421 is a little lower in the mix than the 57.

Sorry for the epic description, I want to offer many details to anyone who wants them.

Make your own opinions after listening to the clips- beware of many little noodling mistakes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzX5gBowvEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quick skipping guide: EL34 starts at 0:00. KT77 starts at 1:42. 6550 starts at 5:35 and KT88 starts at 9:43
Check out my band Sorizon:

http://www.sorizon.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/SorizonOfficial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orange Gear:
Orange Rockerverb 50 MkII w/KT88s, Tiny Terror, White PPC412 (v30s and g12k100s), PPC112