Need Advice Please!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Chrisnyr

Need Advice Please!

Post by Chrisnyr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey i have the option to buy either a Tiny Terror Combo or a Tiny Terror head and a Vox V212BN Cab for the same price, Im guessing the combo is the better option but ive kinda always prefered a head/cab , Thanks!!

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Need Advice Please!

Post by jason41224 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:54 pm

well, i'd say it depends on a few things. are you gigging? or is this strictly a bedroom amp. personally, if you're gigging i'd grab the 212 and a head. but, find out what speakers are in that Night Train cab. if they're not a V30, Greenback, or G12H30, i'd swap those out. keep that cost in mind too. if it's a bedroom/practice amp, the combo would probably suit your needs better.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:57 pm

That cab has Vox-branded 30-watt speakers in it, but I have no idea how they sound. If you can test the head out through the cab, it should be pretty easy to see if the speakers work for you. I can tell you that the G12H-30 in the TT combo sounds great. Although I normally prefer the head + cab approach, the TT combo looks and sounds amazing, so I bought one.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 am

I usually tell people to go head/cab. More flexibility for upgrading in the future. Plus, if you're in a band, you may need the extra volume/dispersion potential of the 2x12.

Portability of a 1x12 combo is nice too though.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:03 am

one of the reasons i'm considering an AD30 in the future is for portability reasons. the 212 combo by itself is smaller than my cab (without head), and only slightly heavier. yet, i get all the sound of 212s that i already have
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi Chrisnyr.

If the Vox cab is loaded with the same 'Wharfedale' GSH-30 speakers they have been using in recent years thay are actually pretty decent sounding.

Here is a comparison in an AC15 between one of those and an Celestion alnico 'Blue'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrvBi9kfUs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll hear the differences and the comparison isn't 100% fair as you'd re-EQ a little for different speakers. Also I believe they take a good while to break in and sound their best. Still IMO they sound decent enough in the flesh and are well worth the money. Probably closer in sound to the secret love child of a G12M-25 and a G12H-30 than the very forward sounding Blue.

TT combo with a Celestion G12H-30 is of course going to sound really nice and you can easily mic that up through the PA. But if you prefer head / cab rigs than you could do far worse I'd say.

What is the cab impedance? The amp will handle one or two 16 ohm loads but only a single 8 ohm load.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:28 am

I was in the same boat two weeks ago. IMHO I found the TT to exceed the quality of the Night Train in all respects.

In regards to the TT Head vs TT Combo. I would go for the TT head and buy a 212 cab separately. The TT combo, whilst loud, didn't push enough air and bass frequencies for my liking.

But best thing to do is A/B the amps for yourself!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8