Who plays with two amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Who plays with two amps?

Post by nlimbaugh » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:57 pm

How is it accomplished? How do you like it?

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Re: Who plays with two amps?

Post by iblastoff » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:06 pm

i do. i like it a lot. i just use an aby pedal from loopmaster.

i switch up between dual terror / rocker 30 / ac30 and i have 2 cabs (both 2x12s. one loaded with v30s and the other is loaded with greenbacks)

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 pm

Hear hear, Rocker30 and Peavey TNT bassamp. Sounds pretty awesome.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:41 am

If the project I am working on takes off I will need to run both my AD30 and Rocker 30 into my Mesa 4x12 (in stereo). Having an A/B switch on the board, and a looper after the switch for one of the amps.
Monty

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:36 am

I've been running stereo rigs for a decade now, I couldn't do it any other way I don't think.

Usually an ABY box with ground lift is the way I do it.

But back when I was running an RV50H and an AC30 I came up with a new idea, I end up putting some FX in the loop of the RV and put an ABY before coming back around. The ABY sends one signal tot he return, the other to the AC30.

This way I get a stacked amp kinda sound, and the drive section of the RV drives the AC30 as well...heavenly!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Another tow amp guy here!
I use a Tiny Terror with a Brunetti V30 loaded 1x12 and a Fender Bjr.
I switch between them with my Radial Big Shot AB/Y with the Y function blocked.
I opted for this set up, because a multi channel amp never does it for me. Either lacks in cleans or drive tones.
This setup is very portable and sounds killer.
And there's some pedals to spice things up, of course...

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I use an ABY pedal with the RV50 and a 90s Crate Vintage 30. The Crate is everything the RV50 is not: bright, dirty (no clean sound). This way the tones complement each other. I have recorded rhythm parts with the RV50 clean and the Crate dirty panned completedly appart and it sounds like two guitars are playing. At some point I will replace the Crate with a Matchless or a BadCat or a Celtic, but probably not soon.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:26 am

I use one of three ways:

1. Split signal with stereo pedal into similar amps
2. A/B/Y pedal or just a Y cable
3. Stereo guitar: neck pickup into bassy amp, bridge pickup into trebly amp (and pedals to match)

Orangewise, I've done 2 and 3. Neck pickup into Thunderverb 200, optional fuzz or HM-2, bridge into Marshall JMP with Distortion+ or Mayhem pedal. Gives all the low end I could need, and the Marshall provides bite and attack.

Also have successfully run neck pickup of bass into Eden tube amp, then bridge into Y into TV 200 and Bassman. Sounded great: bass from the Eden, mids from the Orange, treble from the Bassman.

Also have run Y cable into volume into JC-120. Sounds great with delay, because they fade in. Less obtrusive. Without delay, works as a way to add definition and chorus to the sound to taste.

solidpine

Post by solidpine » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Lately i've been running a tiny terror and a crate blue voodoo together. TT into 2x12 and BV into a 4x12. I love this combo because the BV adds a little bit of sharpness and bottom end that perfectly compliments the TT's warm, creamy, midrangey darkness. Using a stereo tremolo to pan back and forth between the two amps gives you something along the lines of a rotating speaker. Throw in some stereo delay and you're swimming in 3d heaven.

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Yes sir!! Usually I use a Radial Big Shot, or one of the stereo pedals I own. I also use a tube Echoplex to one amp to get some serious delay and depth while the other amp is without effect. Stunning results. My amps change with my mood, but usually one is bright with distortion and the other dark and clean.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

bondy1978

Post by bondy1978 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:55 pm

In one of the bands I play in I use a Morley ABC pedal and run a Vox AC30, an Orange OR50 and a Fender Supersonic 22 all at the same time... Crunchtastic!!!

The Orange and Fender share a Marshall 1960 cab with greenbacks set up for stereo
2004 Gibson LP, SG EBO Bass, 1969 Dove
1985 Fender Tele Pink Paisley, 2009 USA Strat
2008 PRS Custom 24
1959 Fender Princeton Tweed
Orange OR50H
Marshall AFD100 and Haze 15
Marshall 1960a and b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMgPCFAuSU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm

*raises hand* I have even quad amped in the past... give me a team of roadies and a powerful enough splitting device and I'll happily take it to the extremes! ;)

I've currently 'downsized' to an AD30 and a Musicman audiophile HD500 into a pair of Ashdown ABM cabs, 1x15 and 4x10, with a bunch of gizmos in front to make the bass amp stupidly low, fuzzy and fat.

All you essentially need to get started is an ABY pedal, I recommend Framptone or Lehle as always. An ABY is not something to skimp on, buy a cheap one and you're opening yourself up to a world of signal loss and ground loop issues. Once you have your ABY, experimentation will open up a world of wonderous possibilities (.e. running different drives post-ABY, delaying one side, one side clean/one dirty, etc etc).

It's a fun journey and once you've experienced the amazing wall of textured sound two different amps can produce in tandem I doubt you'll go back.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:30 am

solidpine wrote:Lately i've been running a tiny terror and a crate blue voodoo together. TT into 2x12 and BV into a 4x12. I love this combo because the BV adds a little bit of sharpness and bottom end that perfectly compliments the TT's warm, creamy, midrangey darkness. Using a stereo tremolo to pan back and forth between the two amps gives you something along the lines of a rotating speaker. Throw in some stereo delay and you're swimming in 3d heaven.
That sounds like a pretty cool idea using a stereo tremolo. What kind of speakers are you using with each amp?

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:15 am

Teddy, have you tried using the stereo-out on some chorus/delay pedals as a splitter? Did you get volume/tone/noise problems this way?

If it works, you could always rig up a "mute" box if you wanted to cut the sound from one amp, and it would be cheaper than a decent splitter.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 am

danbond wrote:Teddy, have you tried using the stereo-out on some chorus/delay pedals as a splitter? Did you get volume/tone/noise problems this way?

If it works, you could always rig up a "mute" box if you wanted to cut the sound from one amp, and it would be cheaper than a decent splitter.
I personally always run both amps always on anyhow - I guess if someone wanted to, say, run one amp really wet and the other dry they might not want them both always on though. I have tried using stereo pedals to split, at one point I was tri-amping with the Framptone to do the first split, then on the guitar side I had a Boss DD3 which I was using set to 100% wet, no repeats and the smallest possible delay to slightly 'widen' the guitar amps, like an auto double track kind of effect. It worked well but I'd always suggest a proper ABY unit to be sure to avoid ground loop problems - with some amps it's no issue but with others the noise is horrible!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC