Who plays with two amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Re: Who plays with two amps?

Post by Wired » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 pm

You guys should really try using the FX loop out of your amp (if you ahve an FX loop equipped amp) and running that out to your second amp. Sounds awesome.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

reallyloud

Post by reallyloud » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm new to the amp owning business, but I just purchased an ad30 htc, and I was wondering if i used an aby splitter, could I have both the orange and a jcm2000 going at the same time?

as in, with two cabs could I have both heads playing simulatenously?

Scrappalino

Post by Scrappalino » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:24 pm

I use a whirlwind amp selector pedal...

I run a Rockerverb 50 and MesaBoogie dc-2. I will say nearly all my tone is the RV. I only use the Boogie to drive a talk box effect. Still I use the whirlwind to switch back and forth or run both amps at the same time. :)

Scrappalino

Post by Scrappalino » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Yes... With a a/b splitter you can run both at the same time through different cabs.

If your cabinet has a stereo split you could run both heads through the right and left side of the cab... You would just need to make sure your running your amp on the correct ohms. Sounds really cool, and you don't need to haul more than one cab.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:54 am

Wired wrote:You guys should really try using the FX loop out of your amp (if you ahve an FX loop equipped amp) and running that out to your second amp. Sounds awesome.
I'm going to try this through the Hellcat and RV50. I'll let you know how it goes :D
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

reallyloud

Post by reallyloud » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:20 am

Scrappalino wrote:Yes... With a a/b splitter you can run both at the same time through different cabs.

If your cabinet has a stereo split you could run both heads through the right and left side of the cab... You would just need to make sure your running your amp on the correct ohms. Sounds really cool, and you don't need to haul more than one cab.
Yeah I think it does, that sounds like an even better idea haha, I'd like to lift as little as possible.

now i just need an a/b splitter

solidpine

Post by solidpine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:15 am

Randy Bass wrote:
solidpine wrote:Lately i've been running a tiny terror and a crate blue voodoo together. TT into 2x12 and BV into a 4x12. I love this combo because the BV adds a little bit of sharpness and bottom end that perfectly compliments the TT's warm, creamy, midrangey darkness. Using a stereo tremolo to pan back and forth between the two amps gives you something along the lines of a rotating speaker. Throw in some stereo delay and you're swimming in 3d heaven.
That sounds like a pretty cool idea using a stereo tremolo. What kind of speakers are you using with each amp?
I love it! One of my favorite textures :D
The TT is going into a 2x12 lopo cab loaded with a WGS et65 and a retro30. The blue voodoo is running into an old crate 4x12 that still has its stock speakers. The stocks are fairly unimpressive compared to wgs but nothing to shake a stick at (surprisingly).

I'm planning on mixing a leftover veteran 30 into the crate cab. I was using it with the terror but it was a little too dark for me. The retro30 is basically the same as vet30 but with a little bit more sparkle on the top end.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:24 am

I've played several gigs with my RV 100 and matamp gto 120 and or OR 120. I use an aby pedal. Sounds awesome, but I've been to lazy to run 2 rigs lately.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:49 pm

reallyloud wrote:now i just need an a/b splitter
Just make sure you buy a proper ABY, not an A/B pedal, as those also exist (e.g. EHX Switchblade) and are designed only for switching between two amps, not having both on at once.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Scrappalino wrote:Yes... With a a/b splitter you can run both at the same time through different cabs.
Le Chat Noir wrote:Just make sure you buy a proper ABY, not an A/B pedal, as those also exist (e.g. EHX Switchblade) and are designed only for switching between two amps, not having both on at once.
Yep, an A/B is one or the other. An A/B/Y gives you the choice of either or both. Important difference!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Blindsummit

Post by Blindsummit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Me. Orange AD15/10 and Fender Deluxe. Both awesome amps, tend to use the Fender for clean and the Orange for the dirt. Use my Lehle Dual pedal for A/B/Y switching.

Orange Custom Shop 50 head

bradley9in
Tiny Terror

Post by bradley9in » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

solidpine wrote:The TT is going into a 2x12 lopo cab loaded with a WGS et65 and a retro30. The blue voodoo is running into an old crate 4x12 that still has its stock speakers. The stocks are fairly unimpressive compared to wgs but nothing to shake a stick at (surprisingly).

I'm planning on mixing a leftover veteran 30 into the crate cab. I was using it with the terror but it was a little too dark for me. The retro30 is basically the same as vet30 but with a little bit more sparkle on the top end.
@Solidpine I was considering mixing my cab with et65s and retro 30s. I already have the retro 30s loaded with a G12H30, and while the retro provides great clarity and sparkle, the G12H30 is lacking a tight bottom end. So, I was thinking of pairing it with either an et65 or Reaper 55hz. Since you have the et65 / retro combo, how do you like it? Basically I'm looking for clarity with a tight, controlled punch.

solidpine

Post by solidpine » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:00 pm

bradley9in wrote:
solidpine wrote:The TT is going into a 2x12 lopo cab loaded with a WGS et65 and a retro30. The blue voodoo is running into an old crate 4x12 that still has its stock speakers. The stocks are fairly unimpressive compared to wgs but nothing to shake a stick at (surprisingly).

@Solidpine I was considering mixing my cab with et65s and retro 30s. I already have the retro 30s loaded with a G12H30, and while the retro provides great clarity and sparkle, the G12H30 is lacking a tight bottom end. So, I was thinking of pairing it with either an et65 or Reaper 55hz. Since you have the et65 / retro combo, how do you like it? Basically I'm looking for clarity with a tight, controlled punch.
@bradley9in I love the et65/r30 combo, they balance each other very well. While the retro30 is very mid-focused, the et65 seems to fill in all the "outside" space above and below the mids. It rounds and tightens up the bottom end while adding a little shimmer to the top. Very clear and clean. It sounds like it would be exactly what you're looking for. I apologize for the very late response! :mrgreen:

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Used to bi-amp... gave up as it was too much hassle most of the time and my back wasn't happy! Most gigs it doesn't matter too much, but if you do have the time, it's fun.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 am

AC30HW2 and Rocker30 / AMPEG VT40 (i switch between the two but both work really well)
accept darkness.