pricey speaker cords - are they worth it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

pricey speaker cords - are they worth it?

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am

Who has experience with the super pricey ones. I got a quote from Mullard and a 2' was a lot. The best Lavas are also ultra high. So, who uses them and what do you think?

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Re: pricey speaker cords - are they worth it?

Post by kmlabs » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Now I'm not claiming this is a definitive answer, but:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audi ... cable-and/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I believe Monster cables themselves are no favourite of this forum.

*dons flame-proof jacket, just in case*
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 pm

I'll tell you that I have a Monster that I got for free when I bought an amp from someone, and a cheaper long 25ft one that I bought at Guitar Center that I use for recording, and I can not tell a difference.

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:37 pm

In 92 when I got my first half stack I purchased a really nice speaker cable. I still use it everyday. It has been on every tour and is the only cable I have had that long. Does it sound better? Don't think so. It also has much thicker cable and one inch diameter ends so on a dark stage it is nice and easy to fish it out of the tool box without a light.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 pm

As long as it is structurally sound, spend your cash elsewhere for sure. I have a midgrade one but I've used power cord from a toaster. Just as good.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm

durability is what you're looking for--if speaker cables make that big of a difference in sound quality, it's news to me. i have a $10 3' Live Wire with a lifetime warranty, and it's good enough to me. unless i needed a longer one, i couldn't imagine ever needing one that costs more than that.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:41 pm

If you were talking about hi end hi-fi or audio monitoring I'd say it is worth paying a bit for really good speaker cables as they can make some audible differences in the breathy 'presence' frequencies.

For guitar or bass amps though - nah! I make mine up from old mains cable and Neutrik connectors. Does the job perfectly.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ge+speaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Want a good laugh...? :wink:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-ter ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 pm

a.hun wrote: Want a good laugh...? :wink:
http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-ter ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
And gift wrapping costs extra! :shock:
Paul.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 pm

It's interesting...

I use yorkville cables for everything. They are cheap "house brand" cables from Long & McQuade up here in Canada. I also have some Fulltone, Dimarzio, Monster stuff (all acquired on the $0) and while I do use the upgraded stuff if I remember to pack it, I don't hear a difference. I feel a difference as the more expensive stuff tangles easier.

Now... thats with guitar gear/PA gear etc.

But! My home stereo system and home theater rigs... I originally did the cheap low end $.50 a foot with cheapo $1.50 each connectors, cheapo XScargo/surplus store leads. Lots of interference, bad low end, highs were distorting.

Bought Yorkville speaker cable, upgraded to gold plugged ends ($15 each) and tried that. Still had some static in the lines and some odd audible artifacts. Bought some other higher quality speaker cable (no idea what brand) and that cured everything that was being sent analog to the amp (digital/optical/hdmi lines were aok)

I upgraded the RCA cable and phono cable with planet waves cables and everything was beautiful!

Now I just need to upgrade the amp and the speakers in my den. My home theater rig is awesome.

So moral of the story:

For guitar gear: hardly any audible difference

For stereos and home theater: can make a difference. Probably from all the home electronics?
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Anything that costs more than a LiveWire or Whirlwind isn't worth it.
Monty

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 pm

I just buy whatever the $30 3 ft. Monster speaker cable is. Seems high enough quality, and if it ever breaks, I can bring it to a Guitar Center and have it replaced for free. To me, that's a better value than having to buy 3 different $10 budget cables over the x amount of years. I pretty much live across the street from Guitar Center though.

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 pm

i use coat hangers

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:38 pm

a.hun wrote:Want a good laugh...? :wink:

Andy.
I'd like a list of the names and addresses of all the people who have paid $8,500 one of these. I'd give my job up, leave my gf and kid and walk the earth looking for each and every one of them, knock on their front door and just punch them in the face.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:55 pm

MaxProphet wrote:i use coat hangers
+1

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 pm

This is an old flame of a topic for me, with some interesting stuffs along the way. I tried some Evidence Audio Siren II speaker cable out and could actually hear some sort of a difference in my amp, but I found it to be small for me. I find that there's a great deal of diminishing returns on cables, and once you get past the level to where your money is paying to remove basic, function-impeding flaws (such as oxygen-free cables, quality connectors, well done solder jobs, etc), you're starting to move into areas that are going to be harder to justify the extra money for the average joe.

I want the science behind it. I'm going to go ask my teacher tomorrow about the Skin Effect and what frequency ranges it deals with.

The real trick is to do it cheaply. Go get some fancy cable in bulk and put your own connectors on it. Boom. Fancy and still cost-effective. ;)