Going without pedals, thoughts?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ProgRockAbuse

Going without pedals, thoughts?

Post by ProgRockAbuse » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:30 pm

hey all, just started posting again after life getting in the way.

i've started playing in a more classic rock style band and for the first couple of practices, i took a board with a few bits and pieces on. namely a drive pedal, delay, wah, boost and tuner. each week i've been stomping less and less on stuff and just cranking up the amp a little more. i find i can get plenty of sounds using the controls on my tele. it has a 4 way switch and s-1 switch, so with that and the volume and tone, it's pretty versatile.

should i keep a little board with a couple of pedals just in case i fancy adding something?
should i just have one pedal like a boost/eq/drive just for a little gain if needed?
or just guitar>amp and bring it like the old school would?

whats your thoughts, fellow forum folks
Fender Classic Player Baja Tele/Classic Player 60's Strat

Orange Dual Terror
Purple Torres 2x10 Cabinet (vintage 30 & greenback)

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: Going without pedals, thoughts?

Post by Icarus » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 pm

When playing live I prefer to have as little as possible and only what is required. At the moment that means tuner and noise gate for me and thats it, less to go wrong and less things to change the tone(although noise gates are obviously not transparent, they are essential to me).

If you don't NEED a wah, don't take it. Same with any other pedal/effect in my opinion. I like not having to be at a pedalboard at certain times to switch A off and B on or whatever. I even prefer to use my guitars controls for parts where a less aggressive or clean tone is needed rather than switch channels.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:36 pm

i'm the other way around. i'm terrible at the whole 'roll knob with pinky while seamlessly playing' deal. i need a footswitch to stomp on for my dirty/clean sounds. if i want to be a little less in the mix, i usually roll either my volume or my tone down (for a verse in a quiet song, for example) which helps a bit. can't really do that with a pedal. typically i only use my volume, compressor, delay, and tuner (and Orange FS), but i don't play classic rock :wink: so, i also have a wah, trem and boost, with plans to grab a Phaser, a Fuzz and a Reverb. i don't use them all the time (i'm actually pretty disappointed because i really can't find as much use for my trem as i thought)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Get Rid of Them All!!!

(That's my two cents :wink: )
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 pm

That's crazy talk, it can't be done. It just CAN'T BE DONE!
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:58 pm

I have 3 pedals, and oh god, are they just good at gathering dust!!!!!!! :lol:

I'm still considering getting some time based effects or a booster. But i'll probably end up gathering more dust if I do.... ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm

I have a wah, delay and EQ, the EQ gathers dust at the moment, but the other two are used quite a bit.

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:26 pm

The last few rehearsals and the last show I played were all without stomping about, other than the wah and the flanger. My delay and Scorpio Boost were on 100%, but everything else was controlled from the guitar. I must say, I rather enjoyed it and will keep doing this and trying to get better. I do keep my Taurus OD on the board in case I get the urge to take things over the top. I keep a heavier OD (Virgo Rock OD) on backup for backlined gigs. And I am a big fan of using the Aquarius Fuzz and the other guys for recording and getting different tones. Live I am trying to keep it super simple and loving it.
I've got love to burn!
-Orange Rocker 30, 1x15 Glaswerks Cab, Emminence Big Ben.
-2010 LP Trad Pro, 2002 Gibson FB VII.
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:47 pm

I'd consider having no board in my current band IF I could find a better solution for mid song/gig tuning adjustments and switching channels on my RV. I figure since I have to have those two, might as well throw a delay on there too for the loop. If I didn't have to tune, I'd go without the delay and just have a channel switch on the floor.
Greg

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:27 pm

I love all the cool sounds players get with pedals. But for me, I'm still figuring out how to use feedback which seems to have a world of sound to be tapped. No pedals yet.

ryanmaiden

Post by ryanmaiden » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 am

I just take what pedals I need for the particular gig. I haven't tied myself down with a pedal board, so if I only need a delay, I just take a delay etc. Recently changing to a tiny terror has made me appreciate distortion/OD pedals, never really used them with multi-channel amps, but have got a couple to hit the input hard for searing solos and big power chord chuggathons.

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

Hey dude :)

I'd say for the stuff you guys are doing just a boost for when you really need a bit more dirt - although that Dual Terror has got plenty of dirt itself!

Personally, I wouldn't like to get rid of my wah; it covers all my mistakes when I'm soloing :D
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

ProgRockAbuse

Post by ProgRockAbuse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:23 pm

kmlabs wrote:Hey dude :)

I'd say for the stuff you guys are doing just a boost for when you really need a bit more dirt - although that Dual Terror has got plenty of dirt itself!

Personally, I wouldn't like to get rid of my wah; it covers all my mistakes when I'm soloing :D
mine broke at practice the other week, the perils of removing the rubber dampers to get extra travel and you wear out the switch sooner.
Fender Classic Player Baja Tele/Classic Player 60's Strat

Orange Dual Terror
Purple Torres 2x10 Cabinet (vintage 30 & greenback)

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:49 pm

ProgRockAbuse wrote:
kmlabs wrote:Hey dude :)

mine broke at practice the other week, the perils of removing the rubber dampers to get extra travel and you wear out the switch sooner.
You should get one of those switchless wah pedals.
I am thinking about getting a good wah pedal. I have the cheapest version of the Cry Baby, and it kinda sucks. I was thinking about getting the Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah, since it has 2 wah settings that you can switch between, and it's switchless.
Anyone have any comments on this wah pedal?
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 pm

I use a tuner, a Vox wha, a Signa drive and a Memory man. Some gigs i only use the tuner, some gigs i almost do more pedal tapdancing than playing..

Obviously your amp can't do wha, tuner or echo (unless it's one of those "lego" amps) so i really don't see how even purists have a problem using pedals for that.

Drive is a whole other chapter though. I dare say nine times out of ten a good quality tube amp will hold it's own against any pedal out there. Once driven properly that is!

If you are going just guitar-cable-amp, it has to be a coiled cable! :wink:
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix