Going without pedals, thoughts?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

amesav
Tiny Terror

Re: Going without pedals, thoughts?

Post by amesav » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:28 am

Hey man depending on your amp add what you need my set up is the thunderverb 50 ,4x12 cab and les Paul ,nothing else needed ,amazing amp tone
Orange Thunderverb 50
Orange Rockerverb 50 MK1
Gibson Les Paul Standard

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:21 am

Captain Wedge wrote:I was thinking about getting the Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah, since it has 2 wah settings that you can switch between, and it's switchless.
Anyone have any comments on this wah pedal?
Well I've got a Bad Horsie 1, and I love it - the switchless operation is the clincher for me, it's so much easier at gigs. Soundwise, they're not to everyone's taste, but I A/B'd it with a Budda Budwah and couldn't tell enough of a difference to make me change (that's possibly due to my gain levels though).

I haven't heard the other setting on the BH2; is it a parametric thing, like a "Wow" instead of "Wah"?
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:17 pm

All depends on the band situation and the style of music you play. I personally like going to shows and hearing a guitarist using cool effects. I also like players that can get all of their sound with just a guitar, cable and amp, look at Ian McKaye from Fugazi, SG straight into a JCM 800, cant go wrong with that setup. Sure you can't go wrong with plugging a good guitar straight into an Orange either. I use four pedals, my signal is this: Les Paul> Boss Tuner> Vox Wah> Fulltone OCD (only for solos) > MXR Smart Gate > Orange Rocker 30 > Framus 4X12. I think that is a modest/simple setup, yet my drummer who is also a bass player was referring to my tiny pedal board the other night as "all that stuff that can go wrong". I see the four pedals that I use as the bare essentials, but other guys think its some kind of elaborate setup (they should see Billy Gibbons setup!). Sure you've got three patch cables and a power supply that could possibly fail on you at a gig, but its always gonna be something. Last night I was getting a horrendous interemittent scratching noise from my amp, turned out it was the orange extension cord that I had running to the wall outlet, swapped out the extension cord (after pulling my hair out troubleshooting my pedal board and various cables), noise was gone.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

^i have a feeling your drummer wouldn't get along well with the Edge :lol:

all the stuff that can go wrong? i can understand the tone-sucking argument, but as long as you're not buying Behringer pedals, i would think you don't have to worry about that. next time, tell him that he should take less cymbals, because that's all the stuff that could go wrong ;) cymbals (and snares) are to a drummer as pedals are to a guitarist.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:10 pm

Paul.

ProgRockAbuse

Post by ProgRockAbuse » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Well at my last band practice, I went sans pedals and must say I didn't really miss anything. I was able to flick through lead and rythm with my guitar controls and felt more focused on the notes and not the tap dancing. Though maybe it was the orange 2x12 that had something to do with it.
Fender Classic Player Baja Tele/Classic Player 60's Strat

Orange Dual Terror
Purple Torres 2x10 Cabinet (vintage 30 & greenback)

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:51 pm

I use an ABY pedal and channel switchers for the two amps. The second amp was the price of two expensive pedals. No contest!
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Post by fiaj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 pm

If you know whet kind of stuff you'll be playing then there is surely no need for extra voicings? I play mainly play weird improvised jazz and as it is very explorative i generally have a pretty hefty load of pedals in the front, a lot of them don't get stomped at all but i know that if i suddenly want some Fuzz Factory screech through a Psilocybe with a bit of delay or anything else it's all under foot. If i played "normal" music i may leave a few at home. Generally i always have at least my distortion/phase section (Fuzz Factory>Woolly Mammoth>Bass Big Muff (usually switched to dry)>Psilocybe), that plus the Rockerverb 100's Dirty channel = an infinate variety of fuzzes and distortions.

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:44 pm

OrangePaul wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dGQF8d ... re=related
Here's one reason maybe :D
At the start of this vid, I wasn't sure whether it was a white coiled cable next to him or the remains of a 'rattler' he just skinned for his boots :lol:
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele