TH30C problem

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

scarper

TH30C problem

Post by scarper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:45 am

A while back I was looking to get some louder cleans than what my TT combo would allow. I was thinking of getting a DT and using the TT as a cab. Anyway I got a bit of extra cash from work and got a TH30C. Its perfect for me, I love the sound and its easy to lug upstairs at home, takes no room up and is loud !!!

I took it to practice, let it warm up for 4 mins at least, playing on the clean channel it was the first time in 3 months i really enjoyed playing. My Les Paul BFG sounded different, like the sound that was in my head but couldn't explain suddenly was there. My reverb pedal, compressor, fuzz, distortiion pedals all sounded different ( i had em in the effects loop). My playing instantly became more confident, I was more relaxed and really enjoying it. I tried explaining this to the missus and how it was worth the money , well I guess you might guess the reception I got.

But when I flicked it to the dirty channel (which I was frofin to do coz there was one particular song that it seemed to just nail in the shop and at home) all I got was a really thin, much lower volume sound. Flicked bak n forth, no good, try different wattages (30 or 15) no good, Turn on or off, no good. Next day at home its cool, works fine like I imagined it.

Happened at home once before but I put it down to not warm enuff, but this time was after 30 mins of playing.

I'm new to this stuff, only had the amp for 2 months so if you have any tips or if there is a correct proceedure for swithching channels please let me know.

Cheers,

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: TH30C problem

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 am

Dont think it's valves related, if the dirty channel doesn't come on right everytime, i'd bring it back to the shop and get the warranty working.

You'll have a hard time explaining them the problem though, techs don't like intermitent problems, they like to be able to recreate the issue on the spot.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:06 pm

If it is that new, just take it back where you got it from and leverage your warranty.

What is the tube layout in that amp? If there are any preamp tubes that only amplify for the dirty channel, it is very possible one of those is just on the fritz. Especially if the amp is still only a few months old. A preamp tube (or any electronic, for that matter), is most likely to fail in the first couple of months of use, or last for years before failure.
- Nathan

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:58 am

to be honest, i don't think that's a problem. a lot of people mention the volume issue (even Premier Guitar mentioned it in their review) and just asses it as something to deal with. and depending on where you had the shape knob, it probably sounded a lot thinner as well. in either case, the dirty channel is voiced very differently than the clean channel. i suppose if you wanted to try, you could swap out the preamp tubes and see if that helps (it might a bit).

on a side note, you mentioned that you're running all your FX in the loop--but i would actually run most of those in front. it's most commonly thought that fuzz, distortion, and compression are better off in front, and reverb/delay/modulation definitely works better in the loop. but, if you like the tone you get, there's no rule against it. i would definitely try both ways, though. just a thought
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

scarper

Post by scarper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:47 am

jason41224 wrote:on a side note, you mentioned that you're running all your FX in the loop--but i would actually run most of those in front. it's most commonly thought that fuzz, distortion, and compression are better off in front, and reverb/delay/modulation definitely works better in the loop. but, if you like the tone you get, there's no rule against it. i would definitely try both ways, though. just a thought
sorry mate, I should have been more accurate in my post. The dirty pedals I have up front and the reverb and compression in the loop. This is the 2nd valve amp I've owned and the first with a loop and two channels. I will give the compression pedal a whirl in the front and see the diff.

"Thin" is the best way I could describe the sound, perhaps weak is another. If running in 30 watt mode and having the gain and the volume at full bore ya can't hear it over the drums, ya can hardly hear it at all. It hasn't done it since and I bet if I take it back to the shop I won't get it to do it !!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:23 am

I still would take it back though.

You'll have to insist - after all, they have no reason to doubt your good faith if all you want is either this amp working well 100% or another TH30.

It's not like you're past a return period and try to weasel your money back.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:32 am

scarper wrote:"Thin" is the best way I could describe the sound, perhaps weak is another. If running in 30 watt mode and having the gain and the volume at full bore ya can't hear it over the drums, ya can hardly hear it at all. It hasn't done it since and I bet if I take it back to the shop I won't get it to do it !!!
ah, i see what you mean. if you can't even hear it over the drums, then i'd say you have a problem. i assumed it was a small difference, because that's actually a pretty common complaint with this amp...like the dirty channel has to get to about eleven o'clock to match the clean channel at 9 (or something like that).

take it back if you can. Orange will take good care of ya. if you can't, try to swap the preamp tube(s) for the dirty channel. that's probably the source of your trouble
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:30 pm

My 2nd TH30 head did something like this, it was fine at first, then the dirty channel sounded thin and way too quiet, i figured out there was a loose joint on one of the preamp valve sockets, if i pushed the valve into the socket and held it the amp would sound like it should. If i let go it'd sound like pile of poop.

Probaly a lose connection somewhere.

Warranty it.
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

scarper

Post by scarper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:44 am

Took the amp back to the shop, they had it for over 2 months.

Get it back, go jamming, same problem.

Its not an orange its a lemon, now I gotta hassle with the store again.

:(

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:15 am

It sounds like the store didn't fix the problem. That doesn't make it a lemon just yet. It suggests that the store's tech is possibly incompetent in addition to being extremely slow (or busy). Some problems can be very hard to track down though. I'd contact Orange directly since the store did not resolve the issue when given the opportunity. What exactly did the store say they did to fix the amp?

The most likely cause really is a faulty preamp tube though since it only occurs on one channel. I'd be swapping in a new 12AX7 one slot at a time in the Dirty Channel before sending the amp back again if it was mine.

scarper

Post by scarper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:00 am

Cheers Randy, I aint techo minded at all. I'll research swapping tubes.

I have noticed that there usually isnt a problem at first for example when i'm at home and playing in 7 watt mode. However when I get to the studio, flick it into 30 watt mode and get it driving hard on clean (50%) when I jump over to the dirty channel its brittle sounding and super quiet.

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 am

Contact Orange by phone and email. Tell them the issue and tell them you've taken it into the store, you were without the amp for 2 whole months, the issue persists and you're a bit upset. They WILL take care of you.

I had a recent issue with my RV50 MK II combo, it suddenly developed a wicked hum and lost some tone. I contacted Orange USA and informed them I was not happy. Low and behold, Len from Orange called me. We spoke for awhile and he told me they were emailing me a return label and would be sending me a brand new amp! He also told me that they would go through all the amps in the warehouse and hand pick the best one for me. Sure enough, a couple weeks ago, a brand new amp showed up at my door and it sounded amazing! The amp is dead silent too even with the gain and colume cranked on the dirty channel.

I'm in the U.S. but Orange does and will stand behind it's products and I will use no other amp.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

30secs
Rocker

Post by 30secs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm

whiteyanderson wrote:Contact Orange by phone and email. Tell them the issue and tell them you've taken it into the store, you were without the amp for 2 whole months, the issue persists and you're a bit upset. They WILL take care of you.

I had a recent issue with my RV50 MK II combo, it suddenly developed a wicked hum and lost some tone. I contacted Orange USA and informed them I was not happy. Low and behold, Len from Orange called me. We spoke for awhile and he told me they were emailing me a return label and would be sending me a brand new amp! He also told me that they would go through all the amps in the warehouse and hand pick the best one for me. Sure enough, a couple weeks ago, a brand new amp showed up at my door and it sounded amazing! The amp is dead silent too even with the gain and colume cranked on the dirty channel.

I'm in the U.S. but Orange does and will stand behind it's products and I will use no other amp.
Good for you. I called Orange about a tube question.. still waiting to hear back.

whiteyanderson
Rocker

Post by whiteyanderson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:06 am

You shouldn't wait. Call AND email. And if you don't get a response within 24-48 hours follow up. You may have to voice your anger in a "nice" way, which I did, and I was called within minutes of the email. No way would I be without an amp I paid any amount of dollars for 2 months. 2 weeks is too long even.

If you let them know in a polite way that you are disappointed, they will respond.
Rockerverb 50 MK I head
Miscellaneous PPC212's and PPC412's
Gibson Satin Ebony Les Paul Studio
Gibson Fireburst Les Paul Studio

scarper

Post by scarper » Mon May 14, 2012 12:48 am

So now I have my amp back for the second time, and it still has the same fault.

I have requested a new amp as the tech is either too stupid to fix it or a liar.

The store has advised me that because too much time has passed they won't exchange and it will be up to the supplier.

Fantastic, I guess I'll be writing to them and the department of fair trading if I don't get a newie.