blown fuse caused by instrument cable?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

blown fuse caused by instrument cable?

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 am

I blew the 1 amp fuse in my OR80 playing loud (around 4:30). I'm trying to troubleshoot. I was using a 3' instrument cable instead of my 20' speaker cable. I don't have a short speaker cable. Should I use the long speaker cable instead of the short instrument cable? Could this have caused the blown fuse? Thanks in advance for any advice/education.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: blown fuse caused by instrument cable?

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:16 am

Shielded instrument cable can damage your amp if used as a speaker cable. The blown fuse could be a result of that. Hopefully no other damage was done. Do not use a shielded instrument cable to connect your amp to your speaker cab.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks. I won't do it again.

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:04 am

Haha I read thw two posts up here and sounded like a father-son conversation. Hehe made me laugh
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:53 am

I did post that in a bit of a hurry, so I might have sounded like Señor Crankypants :( . It is nevertheless a seriously bad idea to use a shielded cable to connect a speaker cab. It can overheat, melt the insulation, short out, and fry the output transformer. You're grounded :D .

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 am

Son, if you keep playing with that thing the wrong way, you surely go blind!

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 am

Just to add further to the excellent advise you have received. If you think about it, that heavy mains cable is the power into your amplifier. If that power is going out again, it's only going to the speakers so it must go along a similarly thick piece of copper and insulation. Guitar cables are NOT constructed to take the voltage or current you orange amp is capable of putting out and will melt/fail causing expensive damage to your valuable amplifier. You were lucky it was just a fuse. :wink:
Here we go; three, four...

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:06 am

indianDYsummer wrote:Son, if you keep playing with that thing the wrong way, you surely go blind!
With our current preoccupations; I think we are more likely to go deaf!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:08 pm

For the record, I did actually know I wasn't supposed to use the instrument cable. Somehow it just happened. I do appreciate the chastisement as apparently the first round through didn't have the needed impact. So, I got my twenty foot speaker cable all pooled up semi tidy and am pleased that the rig is sounding good and that I haven't blown another fuse. Then, my savvy star trek guitar cable tells me my signal flow is backwards misdirected. :oops: ... the world of tiny terrordom.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:13 pm

I hate to bring it up, but the other thing to avoid in the world of speaker cable technical voodoo is using long speaker cables while they are coiled up. They can create an inductance loop, which can heat up the cable and cause a meltdown. Don't ask me how.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Hmm... I only worried about having coiled cords for recording noise. I suppose I'll string it out until I can afford a nice short one.