An Indie Rock Sound?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Volcom1720

An Indie Rock Sound?

Post by Volcom1720 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 am

What Orange amplifier do you guys recommend for a sound that most indie bands make. I'm looking to spend under $1000 AUD and would prefer if it was a combo.

At the moment I've got an boss sd-1 and I'm looking into a new guitar to buy. Perhaps an Epi Sg.

A sound like the Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand. Another good example would be The Strokes

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out - YouTube

Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor (2005) - YouTube

The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness - YouTube

The kooks is also a good example
The Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be - YouTube

I hope you guys can help. Thanks :-D

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: An Indie Rock Sound?

Post by jason41224 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 am

TT combo is what you want, though you won't get crisp cleans at high volumes, it would be perfect for the Arctic Monkeys tone. but, it will probably be pushing your budget a bit (not sure if it would be over 1K AUD or not, but it would be close. we can't talk prices here anyways)

if i were you, i would grab a Vox AC15 (AUD new around $800, i think). it has great drive sounds and clean tones, are fairly cheap, and are portable. and it would do indie rock very nicely.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

basschase

Post by basschase » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 am

Besides finding something used, I'm sure the only Orange combo that you will find in that price range would be a Tiny Terror. Also don't under estimate how much of a difference your guitar and pedals make in your sound. You might want to try looking at guitars with single coils like the Strat or the Tele. You'll notice that most of those bands you listed use single coil guitars. As for the Boss pedal...get rid of it! If you are using a crappy guitar through a solid state amp then it won't make a big difference but when using a decent guitar through a nice tube amp you'll notice that it'll kill your tone. All of the Orange tube amps have a really nice, natural overdrive that no Boss pedal can compare to

I'm not trying to talk like I know everything there is to know about electric guitars and amps but I've made lots of mistakes buying the wrong things and tone searching over the last 9 years

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:28 am

To be completely honest (and frank), all of those bands you listed use Fender amps and some pedals, so you're not really going to get there with an Orange. A vox would probably be a good choice as well.

However, if you're dead set on an Orange, I would maybe go for a used AD30.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 am

I'm with Andy. A cleaner & brighter sounding amp would get you closer, like a Fender or a Hiwatt.

If you want Orange, AD30 will get you closest, a TT most definitely will not get you the cleans you want for those tones.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Post by iblastoff » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 am

actually i love the 'cleans' i get with my dual terror. very voxy chime sounding. but yah those bands you listed are generally fender amp players.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:09 am

Is a used Rocker 30 combo out of the price range? I would think that could be a good choice - The Strokes have that chimey sound but it's got a layer of dirt on it, ever so slightly. From what I've heard of the Rocker 30, it can do that well.

Or yeah, a Dual Terror would probably get you there - or AD30. I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

For indie, get a Vox or a Fender man. I play a LOT of indie and my AC30 is perfect for it. Oranges are a bit too dark for it.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Love that Strokes song. Fender would work best, but if you want an Orange I'd go with something 30w plus. The Vox AC15 is a great amp, but it doesn't have the headroom for this type of sound IMO. For Orange I'd go Rocker 30 w/ cab, AD30 2x12 or head w/ cab, or DT w/ cab. I play indie rock stuff. We use more distortion lately, although on the cleaner parts the clean channel on my Rocker 30 does just fine. I play it through a 4x12 cab.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:34 pm

for what it's worth, they used an orange ad30 head through an old fender cab on the new strokes record. i think i'd look into ad30's or rocker 30's. the tiny terror might be tough if you want cleans.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Orange isn't really what you're after.

Fender Princeton/Deluxe/Super/Twin Reverb
Vox AC15/AC30
Ampeg Gemini or Reverberocket
Or an old Silvertone 50W with some earplugs and a boost pedal
- Nathan

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:00 pm

You might need to raise your budget a bit. Of any orange I would recommend a AD30 paired with a telecaster.

Like everyone else is saying, these bands primarily use Fender amps with pedals. The SuperSonic might be a cool amp to sit down and play. Don't know if it would be exactly what you are looking for.

I own a Vox AC15 (one of the new ones loaded with a greenback). Definitely up your alley if you are down with some grit in your cleans. Then you just boost with an OD for you drive sounds. I use it as a low volume amp for personal practice and church gigs. I would recommend an AC30 for band practicing and gigs.
Monty

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 pm

AD30 or Dual Terror with 212 Open Back cab. Those are the items I sent The Strokes to record their last album with after all.

Keep in mind they don't use Orange live.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:31 pm

I'm using a Boss SD1 to boost the dirty channel on my Twin for a slightly louder, gainer, thicker lead sound. It works great to take out the top end and just beef things up. I play my dirty channel low on the gain, but loud.

You can pick up used fenders/voxs pretty cheap and you'll find a use for that pedal on both of them (just not as your main "dirt" sound).

I don't think a R30 would do what you want though - no control over the clean channel will limit you for that sound I think.

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 pm

I'd be all over ebay looking for an AD30 if I were you! :D