An Indie Rock Sound?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Re: An Indie Rock Sound?

Post by Borderline Productions » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Pitch the pedal. Find the electric guitar that speaks to you (you'll know it when it happens and the brand and style will surprise you). Buy the guitar (regardless of price because you will never want to part with it). Take the guitar with you when you go amp shopping. Try all the amps until you find the one that speaks to you (once again, you'll know it when it happens). Buy the amp.

Brands mean nothing -- Tone means everything. What you end up with will be nothing like you imagined it.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:31 am

The Arctic Monkeys' Alex used to use an AD30TC combo during that era. It's definitely the sound you want, but it's beyond your budget. You might be able to find a Rocker 30 1x12 combo used for $900+, I recommend that after. It's a great amp with great cleans too... dirty cleans that is.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:16 am

Borderline Productions wrote:Brands mean nothing -- Tone means everything. What you end up with will be nothing like you imagined it.
Exactly. My first "real" setup was a Les Paul through a TT.

Now it's a Tele through a 100watt Twin.

I didn't see that happening until it happened.

rufus
Tiny Terror

Post by rufus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

The first record of arctic monkeys was a strat through an AD30.
That being said, a tele through a rocker 30 was very indie to my ears as long as you tweak the gain.
Fender and vox amps are also the way to go, one thing i found really easy to duplicate was the tone of some of that bands you mention.
And i did with "good" sounding stuff and what's considered "bad" sounding stuff.