TH30...to heavy for classic rock?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dmraco
Tiny Terror

TH30...to heavy for classic rock?

Post by dmraco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Any experience here...can the gain be dialed back or is it just for metal?

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Re: TH30...to heavy for classic rock?

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 pm

it's not "just for metal" and in fact, I don't think it has enough gain for metal.

My hugely amateur opinions:

For classic rock, the AD30 or Rocker 30/50 is a better bet. as would be the TT or 2T.

the TH and TV amps just don't have the right "voice" to me.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:04 pm

having not tried a TH30, i would say no. i think the only thing that might hinder you would be the shape knob...some people like it (especially if they're going for scooped mids), but a lot of others don't.

but i agree with Helmet, any of those other amps would probably be up your alley.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

dmraco
Tiny Terror

Post by dmraco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 pm

I (my son) already have a dual terror. I love it. I am simply looking for a loop. IT does not play well with my pedals.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm

which pedals are you looking to use in the loop that don't work well? the problem might not be due to a lack of a loop.

i would suggest a Rockerverb or Thunderverb for you if you do need a loop. those could easily get great classic rock tones. not sure how good of a tone you could get with the TH30, i think you'd have to try one for yourself (especially since one man's classic rock is another man's heavy metal)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 pm

also interested to see what pedals you are trying to use.
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:04 pm

No, it isn't too heavy for classic rock, i reckon it'll be really good at it even.

It's up to you to dial in however much gain you want - the shape knob will allow for some good classic rock settings too, but will be limited in its flexibility. But then you know that with the tone knob on the DT, even if they do work differently.

To me, the limitation of the TH30 would be more how much headroom you need.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

dmraco
Tiny Terror

Post by dmraco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 pm

most important are my holy grail reverb and memory man delay. As expected, when swirching from a channel with lo gain to a high gain, pedals reall need adjusted.

I almost have do have the verb pedal almost off with any high gain. Anything past 9PM and it rings FOREVER....same uss with my delay.

I also have a MESA TA-15 and these issues are here but not nearly as much with the dual terror. BTW...the TA-15 is on it way out.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:17 pm

the Rocker has a built-in reverb that might suit you, and the delay I know I would want in the loop...

that cuts out the AD30... TV50 or Rocker... and there are some GREAT deals on R30 Mk1s out there if you don't need the "all new all beter on-board reverb" (which is sounds like you have covered.
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:the Rocker has a built-in reverb that might suit you, and the delay I know I would want in the loop...

that cuts out the AD30... TV50 or Rocker... and there are some GREAT deals on R30 Mk1s out there if you don't need the "all new all beter on-board reverb" (which is sounds like you have covered.
Just for clarity's sake, the Rockerverb 50 and 100 have built-in reverb and an effects loop, but the Rocker 30 has neither.

I think your best bet would be the RV50 to play anything from Classic Rock to Metal if you need a loop. Then you'd only have to figure out if you want the Mark I or Mark II version...

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:11 am

dmraco wrote:most important are my holy grail reverb and memory man delay. As expected, when swirching from a channel with lo gain to a high gain, pedals reall need adjusted.

I almost have do have the verb pedal almost off with any high gain. Anything past 9PM and it rings FOREVER....same uss with my delay.

I also have a MESA TA-15 and these issues are here but not nearly as much with the dual terror. BTW...the TA-15 is on it way out.
gotcha. yep, a loop will definitely help with that. i would try to save your pennies for a RV or TV, unless you can try out the TH30 anytime soon to see if it's for you.

another route to go would be to grab a DT/Rocker/AD30 and see if you can mod it with an FX loop. certain techs would probably be willing to do so, and Mojotone even offers a pretty good kit these days to make it a little easier. might be cheaper than a RV/TV and it might be better for your needs.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 am

I have both, the DT and the TH30. so here my two cents:

Even thought the Dt is great for that classic rock, I also felt the need for the fx loop for my delays and reverb. they get muddy on the fat channel. specially when a nice growl is achieved.

so I got myslef a TH30 for the fx loop, because it was newer and because of the price, which is probably why is first on your list, before a RV 50 or even a TV50. (been there, done that)

so I loved that amazing heavier gain I got from the TH30 right out of the box, although it was a bit hard to find a usable classic rock sound. So the "tube swap" came along and helped tremendously. Better articulation, definition and just better distortion overall. I guess I would have to describe it as more warmth, which was lacking in the beginning. Now, Since I don't do metal, I never go past 2 o'clock, unless I am just checking it out, and now I feel confortable with setting the gain and shape knobs to 9 o'clock for a very round and melodic classic rock sound. if it's a more vintage tune (70's) the gain goes down anywhere between 7:30 to 8:30 clockwise.

I have to agree though that the voicing is different from the DT, which may cover more sounds within the classic rock genre, but I feel I can get very close with my TH30. plus it has it's own vibe to it. a bit more accented in the mid-range, which actually cuts right through when playing with the band. very happy with it the more I play through it.

oh and the clean channel has headroom for days! and actually..I saw a video on youtube where the guy cranked the clean channel and he got such an amazing classic rock sound. Haven't done that yet. I will try tomorrow and post back.

I can't compare it to a TV50, so I don't know what could I be missing out, altough I would assume would be better jsut by looking at the price tag. but for the price on TH30 I think it is a great versatile amp.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 am

oh and by the way...there is no good mod for insertingan fx loop in the DT. the only one that you could consider is only for one channel, so you would have to choose between put it for the TT channel or the Fat channel. Don't know about you, but to me that doesn't cut it.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:04 pm

Its fine for classic rock, the th30 is a big seller for the stoner crowd. Which all sounds like sabbath :p:.
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

dmraco
Tiny Terror

Post by dmraco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:13 pm

guilleonline wrote:I have both, the DT and the TH30. so here my two cents:

Even thought the Dt is great for that classic rock, I also felt the need for the fx loop for my delays and reverb. they get muddy on the fat channel. specially when a nice growl is achieved.

so I got myslef a TH30 for the fx loop, because it was newer and because of the price, which is probably why is first on your list, before a RV 50 or even a TV50. (been there, done that)

so I loved that amazing heavier gain I got from the TH30 right out of the box, although it was a bit hard to find a usable classic rock sound. So the "tube swap" came along and helped tremendously. Better articulation, definition and just better distortion overall. I guess I would have to describe it as more warmth, which was lacking in the beginning. Now, Since I don't do metal, I never go past 2 o'clock, unless I am just checking it out, and now I feel confortable with setting the gain and shape knobs to 9 o'clock for a very round and melodic classic rock sound. if it's a more vintage tune (70's) the gain goes down anywhere between 7:30 to 8:30 clockwise.

I have to agree though that the voicing is different from the DT, which may cover more sounds within the classic rock genre, but I feel I can get very close with my TH30. plus it has it's own vibe to it. a bit more accented in the mid-range, which actually cuts right through when playing with the band. very happy with it the more I play through it.

oh and the clean channel has headroom for days! and actually..I saw a video on youtube where the guy cranked the clean channel and he got such an amazing classic rock sound. Haven't done that yet. I will try tomorrow and post back.

I can't compare it to a TV50, so I don't know what could I be missing out, altough I would assume would be better jsut by looking at the price tag. but for the price on TH30 I think it is a great versatile amp.

thanks...that was very helpful. I am hoping to play one soon. I know they have them at the Chicago music exchange which a frequesnt on my chicago trip.