whats next from orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

whats next from orange?

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 am

other than the OPC, whats coming down the pipe?

and has anyone tried the OPC yet? is it even out? i can haz a laptop version at some point?
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

iblastoff
Orange Hero

Re: whats next from orange?

Post by iblastoff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:52 pm

whats new from orange?

i vote 50% discount for forum posters! :idea: :mrgreen:

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:56 pm

I think February/March is when we usually start hearing about new products. It seems like the NAMM show controls when everything gets released now.

Orbis_Mortis
Tiny Terror

Post by Orbis_Mortis » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:25 pm

iblastoff wrote:whats new from orange?

i vote 50% discount for forum posters! :idea: :mrgreen:
^^^^^^This!!! I could use a TV50
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Fender American Special Tele

Amp and Cab:
Orange AD30HTC
Mesa 2x12 Vertical

Effects:
JC Wah>VFE Enterprise>Black Forest>Pharaoh>Boiling Point>TIM>LoFi 616>Small Clone

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:56 am

I'm really surprised that Orange has as many products as they do. I mean how far can you take it in such a short time. It seems they have more models out right now than Marshall. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

See if I miss any.

Orange:
DT
TT
dark terror
TH30
TH100
RV100
TV50
TV200
Retro50
AD50
AD30
AD200
Crush series
ahhhh heck........I'm not going to try to go on. I was going to try and finish this list, then do a Marshall list too, for comparison. Maybe someone with more time and attention to detail can finish this for me.

I think that Orange has a very extensive product line at the moment. Personally, I'd just like them to scale back a bit on the "new" stuff, and make some simplier stuff, like a good single channel amp 100 watter with scaling to 50 watts.

I also think Orange should consider expanding their service departments. They need to offer a full overhaul center for any of their models, past and present. We need 1 in the UK and 1 in the USA. This to include complete restorations, including retolexing, etc. They should step up in this area, before announcing more amps. I don't know of the times I've read or heard of someone needing authentic orange replacement parts being sent to Matamp or Mojotone. I couldn't find the basketweave grill cloth to replace on a ppc2x12 that was an exact replacement. Thankfully, Randy Bass obliged me with some. Try finding authentic Orange tolex. I haven't yet. I've found some very similar, but no cigar.
Last edited by ironlung40 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:00 am

I've got my fingers crossed that there will be a new offering from the Custom Shop. Whether it's an AD5 head, an OR30, or an AD140R, I think something new would be a good idea. A handwired RV25 with two 6V6s would probably be popular too. I think it's time for either the Retro 50 or AD50 to be discontinued.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:17 am

am i the only one who's not exactly jazzed about the OPC? jack of all trades, master of none is sorta what it looks like.

now if they made an all-tube one (maybe available in different models...like the AD30TCPC or the RV50PC) with a computer with the processing power of a really good computer, maybe i'd jump on the bandwagon.

now DIVO on the other hand, seems pretty cool. my amp's cathode biased, but the concept of it is yet really cool
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 pm

jason41224 wrote:am i the only one who's not exactly jazzed about the OPC? jack of all trades, master of none is sorta what it looks like.

now if they made an all-tube one (maybe available in different models...like the AD30TCPC or the RV50PC) with a computer with the processing power of a really good computer, maybe i'd jump on the bandwagon.

now DIVO on the other hand, seems pretty cool. my amp's cathode biased, but the concept of it is yet really cool
I'm sure the OPC line will be developed further in the future. There's a reason why Ford released the Mustang after the Model T.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

Also, I'm totally on board with a new custom shop model. I agree that the Retro 50 or AD50 should be discontinued soon. Maybe even both!

Anyways, whether or not it's a custom shop job, an OR30 would be sweet. An OR80/120 custom shop with a half power switch would be awesome too. Basically I think Orange needs to infuse their line with a more vintage spec'd model outside of the AD line. But I guess the TT/DT series is closer to a vintage style model (at least in gain structure/core tone). However, I want a presence/HFD control with Bandaxall tone controls. A footswitchable FAC (between default and 1 other setting) would be nice too, but not necessary. Same with an f/x loop since their designs are getting more transparent. Not necessary though.

It seems like a lot of people are getting into Orange through RV50/100s and TV50s, and then they end up selling them for an OR120 (or similar vintage model). Orange is definitely losing out on a repeat sale for a "vintage" amp.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:27 am

In a perfect world, I'd like a three channel Orange- clean channel with gain control; dirty rhythm channel ala AD30/ AD140; and a solo channel ala AD30/ AD140. BUT... with an overall master so that once the channel volumes are balanced, you can bring the whole amp up or down with the channels staying in relative proportion to one another.

And no effects loop. :D

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:05 am

also, i'd like to see Orange bring back the Orange Twin Reverb. maybe one of those channels that paired with the drive channel from the AD30R in a twin-input style.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:20 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I've got my fingers crossed that there will be a new offering from the Custom Shop. A handwired RV25 with two 6V6s would probably be popular too.
This! Or a RV50 Mk I w/ solo boost. Everyone has this, why can't Orange do it? I know I've given them sufficient money to fund the research...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm thinking that the most likely product will be a tube head in the 5-watt range (or less) since it is a competitive and fast-growing segment. I would imagine that a Mini Terror head would compete very well with the Lil' Night Train.

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

ironlung40 wrote: I also think Orange should consider expanding their service departments. They need to offer a full overhaul center for any of their models, past and present. We need 1 in the UK and 1 in the USA. This to include complete restorations, including retolexing, etc. They should step up in this area, before announcing more amps. I don't know of the times I've read or heard of someone needing authentic orange replacement parts being sent to Matamp or Mojotone. I couldn't find the basketweave grill cloth to replace on a ppc2x12 that was an exact replacement. Thankfully, Randy Bass obliged me with some. Try finding authentic Orange tolex. I haven't yet. I've found some very similar, but no cigar.

I really agree with you on this one man!

I have basically found that 'local' amp techs really aren't up to the job. It would be extremely useful if Orange offered a servicing / restoration facility, so you know that your amp is getting the correct treatment. Warranties don't last long or cover 2nd hand gear!
The amount of 'My amp has this problem' or 'How do I re-bias this' type threads should be testament to this . I reluctantly had to bias my own amp and try to get to the bottom of a fault because my local tech (the dude used by the famous local guitar shop) made a hash of things.
Especially for us gigging musicians, who can't always wait the month or so until the local guy can find time to dig our amp out and attempt to fix it.
Peace of mind from an annual 'service' would be great!

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 pm

I'd love to see a series based as closely on the OR/OD as technically possible, but lower powered. Having something like an OR30 as people have suggested would be awesome.
- Nathan