Who makes a living with music?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

savage8190
Orange Master

Who makes a living with music?

Post by savage8190 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:05 am

I think I have posted before that my job is set to be centralized and I have declined the move...I have been working to be able to enter into a Jazz degree program that would allow me to go into a teaching program. Admittedly, as the clock ticks down I'm getting nervous about my decision, and I wonder, who actually makes a decent living with music? I mean, I don't ever expect to be a rich and famous rock star...I definitely have a passion for teaching; I just worry that with a family and bills and all that maybe I am setting myself up for failure...

Basically my plan was to complete this degree, which would allow me to enter a teacher accreditation program to teach music in high school...and I figured that I have the sense to do fairly well teaching privately...I just worry. To be honest, I dont even expect that I would make what I make now...and Im fine with that. I dont want to struggle either though and put my wife in a position to be the sole provider for our family.

I'd actually almost talked myself out of it...thinking that maybe I'd just take another job with the government, but I hate it so much. I was just talking to one of my friends who at 40 is just going back to school...hell, my mom just finished school again a couple years ago...maybe I should just man up and take what I want...I dunno. Its a really tough decision for me. On the one hand I take the chance that I get placed in another cushy, secure job, that drives me mad, but provides a comfortable lifestyle. On the other I go out on a limb and do what I love, and put a lot of work, time, and money into it and maybe wind up with a less than positive outcome...

I guess Im just wondering, who of you makes a living with music, and is it sustainable? Am I crazy thinking I can do it now that I am somewhat tied down and nearing my thirties?

Speaking of taking what I want...time for another rum :).

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Who makes a living with music?

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:05 pm

You're probably going to be much happier doing something related to music, even if your income is reduced. You will also be more motivated to make it work if you like what you are doing. I don't think you are even close to being too old to pursue a career in music. Worst case, you can always try to get another government job down the road if music doesn't pay the bills.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:45 pm

music teachers are first to get fired
my jazz teacher got fired in HS cause kids did not like him...
not much money in teaching, and budget probs means art/music is first to go
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:49 pm

I thought about doing a music career, but then decided that I didn't want to make my passion my life. For instance, when I had a crummy day, music turns it around. If I am always doing music, what would I turn to? Also, music has a pretty low pay unless you are a rock star or big time producer.

I actually encourage people to get a job/education in something they wouldn't mind doing that has more securing and income. Then you use that income to finance your musical instruments. Hell, I'm only one year out of my undergrad and have $15k USD worth of guitar gear and $15k USD worth of studio gear for mixing records. Then $3k USD worth of other random music gear. All of which I purchased with my own hard earned cash. Is international logistics my passion? No, but I don't mind do it. There are days where I get really frustrated with my job, but that is going to happen in any job.
Monty

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:06 am

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I thought about doing a music career, but then decided that I didn't want to make my passion my life. For instance, when I had a crummy day, music turns it around. If I am always doing music, what would I turn to? Also, music has a pretty low pay unless you are a rock star or big time producer.

I actually encourage people to get a job/education in something they wouldn't mind doing that has more securing and income. Then you use that income to finance your musical instruments. Hell, I'm only one year out of my undergrad and have $15k USD worth of guitar gear and $15k USD worth of studio gear for mixing records. Then $3k USD worth of other random music gear. All of which I purchased with my own hard earned cash. Is international logistics my passion? No, but I don't mind do it. There are days where I get really frustrated with my job, but that is going to happen in any job.
That's kind of where my thinking is at...I love music, but would I just come to think of it as a job and it not be fun any more? I use it to get away from my work, and really, tbh, I like having money. I think what would be best is if I could figure something else that I would be happier doing while still making a good living and keeping music as a serious hobby...maybe start doing some weekend gigs when the kids get a bit older.

I've taken all sorts of aptitude tests, and career counselling sessions (ironically paid for through a work program), and they all point me to teaching and music which have ZERO job opportunities, or careers that would take at least 7 years of school, which Im not into at this point. Maybe I should get into IT...hell, maybe I should take a demotion, I was happier being a grunt and having zero authority. Now that I'm involved in decision makings processes where I really have no say my job is incredibly frustrating...how do idiots and control freaks get into upper management? Its like they're drawn to it...

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:44 am

I don't know anything about your background, but have you thought about being a corporate trainer? Working for a corporation and getting new hires up to speed.

Edit: Having control and "a say" definitely makes a job more stressful. I'd say almost every single person I have seen in middle management is completely stressed all the time.
Monty

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:29 am

I'm 34 and i've so far earned a grand total of 3 pints out of my musical skills. :lol:

More seriously, if you want to make a living out of music, and can do it, go for it, that's what i say. I know a number of people who do that, none of then are rich, but they all have happy families nonetheless - and whilst not rich, they're not poor either.

And music is still fun for them - they enjoy teaching it, more some days than others, but playing it for themselves is different, and they still do that a lot.

My view is that few of us in life end working in something they truly love - if the opportunity comes along, it shouldn't be missed.
If you don't try it, you might regret not giving it a go.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 am

Hi,

I teach guitar full time and have for about 8 years now (Ive been teaching for 20yrs, but I can only say that about 8 years were full time). So in other words I started in my 30s as well (I'm turning 40 in 3 weeks). I have about 53 students at the moment, work 6 days a week in 3 locations (one of which is home), and earn about 2300€ net a month. I wont be rich, but I am doing fine and am happy (so are my wife and son). The thing to keep in mind is this: work in several places to fill up your week (in case one doesnt work out), and try to move towards fully private lessons. 3 days a week I'm paying the school director at one place 33% of my money, which was fine at first but now I'm moving slowly towards private lessons at home for those three days. I advertise with a website (see sig) and posters/flyers/word of mouth. Over the years I have built up quite a good rep for my lessons and people always come up and ask for new lessons.
The private lessons you have at home should be handled professionsally so that the people don't get the idea that they can just treat you like crap (they'll try, oh yes, they'll try) and just quit at the drop of a hat leaving you stranded. Create your own legal contract with stipulations that they have to give notice etc.....

My goal is to get some more students privately, and then to eventually have a location rented where I can have teachers working under me, so that even when I'm not there I'm earning money. This is one big key to earning lot's of cash in the business. BTW 2300€ net is the same as 37000$ US per year (net). My wife pulls in another 10000$ or so which is also net (tax free) working 2 mornings a week while I watch the kid. All in all 47000$ US, not rich but comfortable enough for me. You'll also find that as a teacher you get the vacations off (I only work a total of 9 months per year :mrgreen: ), get bonuses on your taxes, and bonuses paying health insurance as there are programs usually set up to encourage the arts. Good luck! :D

PS: As far as the thing about not working with your passion; I wouldn't worry about it. It's true that sometimes you just dont want to see a guitar anymore, but that's an exception. Usually I get to rock balls all day long, and it keeps me young hanging out with 14-25 year olds (mostly) and listening/playing music all the time.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 am

I faced that question over 3 decades ago. First note that we are all different and what works for one may not work for others.
I know a number of people who make a living in the 'music business'. however note that the word business is the big one in that phrase. Most of the succesful (financially) people are not earning thier income from playing music, most that are earing a living playing are at the beck and call of some band leader or other. Fashions change and so does the business so you need to spot the opportunities and pounce on them, agents and organisers seem to do ok and can pick out the best work for themselves.
I elected to have a regular pay day and keep music as an interest/hobby. I now have some very nice gear, a wide range of friends and retain a love and passion for music.
If you like the idea of being your own boss and are suitably motivated and can adapt to situations easily then perhaps you should give it a go. No jobs are ultra safe anyway but being a jobbing musician is a lifestyle thing.
Here we go; three, four...

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I don't know anything about your background, but have you thought about being a corporate trainer? Working for a corporation and getting new hires up to speed.

Edit: Having control and "a say" definitely makes a job more stressful. I'd say almost every single person I have seen in middle management is completely stressed all the time.
I have actually been a corporate trainer before...I was also a manager at the time. That was a ridiculous job...I was constantly expected to work long hours with no additional pay and could never get any damn time off. I'm sure its not the same everywhere, but really, I just don't think that the business world is the place for me.

Then I switched to the job Im in now. Really, the pay and benefits are great, but working for government is so damn frustrating. Its like they are constantly looking for ways to make things more difficult and convoluted. If the government were a private business it would be run into the ground...
Wendigo wrote:Hi,

I teach guitar full time and have for about 8 years now (Ive been teaching for 20yrs, but I can only say that about 8 years were full time). So in other words I started in my 30s as well (I'm turning 40 in 3 weeks). I have about 53 students at the moment, work 6 days a week in 3 locations (one of which is home), and earn about 2300€ net a month. I wont be rich, but I am doing fine and am happy (so are my wife and son). The thing to keep in mind is this: work in several places to fill up your week (in case one doesnt work out), and try to move towards fully private lessons. 3 days a week I'm paying the school director at one place 33% of my money, which was fine at first but now I'm moving slowly towards private lessons at home for those three days. I advertise with a website (see sig) and posters/flyers/word of mouth. Over the years I have built up quite a good rep for my lessons and people always come up and ask for new lessons.
The private lessons you have at home should be handled professionsally so that the people don't get the idea that they can just treat you like crap (they'll try, oh yes, they'll try) and just quit at the drop of a hat leaving you stranded. Create your own legal contract with stipulations that they have to give notice etc.....

My goal is to get some more students privately, and then to eventually have a location rented where I can have teachers working under me, so that even when I'm not there I'm earning money. This is one big key to earning lot's of cash in the business. BTW 2300€ net is the same as 37000$ US per year (net). My wife pulls in another 10000$ or so which is also net (tax free) working 2 mornings a week while I watch the kid. All in all 47000$ US, not rich but comfortable enough for me. You'll also find that as a teacher you get the vacations off (I only work a total of 9 months per year :mrgreen: ), get bonuses on your taxes, and bonuses paying health insurance as there are programs usually set up to encourage the arts. Good luck! :D

PS: As far as the thing about not working with your passion; I wouldn't worry about it. It's true that sometimes you just dont want to see a guitar anymore, but that's an exception. Usually I get to rock balls all day long, and it keeps me young hanging out with 14-25 year olds (mostly) and listening/playing music all the time.
Wow, living MY dream... :). Seriously though, what you are doing now is exactly what I had thought I would do. I figured I could go to school and start working for one of the local music stores that I have built up a good rep with and continually try to grow my private lessons to the point where I could leave them and set up my own studio and hire teachers. I know the demand is there in my area...hell, I don't advertise nor do I really teach right now (for pay anyway), but I still get people in the 'hood constantly asking me just through word of mouth. I teach my nieces and nephew, and sisters, and I guess it has spread.

Plus I figured with a degree, not only does it give me a leg up on the competition, but it does leave the option of going into the public school system open. I really would have no intention of getting into it to be a gigging musician, I really want to teach. Its like one of my teachers said to me, there are musicians who teach to play, and there are musicians who play to teach; the ones in the latter group are few and far between and they are always high demand because their students are their first priority (he is the head of a University strings department).

Man, this is a tough decision.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:25 am

I always listened to my father, and stopped my music education at high school, applied to study a Bachelor of Business in Marketing, and worked in administration in the construction and development industry.

But after 5 years of hating, deferring and not finishing my course, stressing, being diagnosed with chronic illness (which may in part be related to stress), and breaking a finger on my fretting hand, one decides at one point, to release apprehension and follow the dream.

I've almost completed my first year of Bachelor of Music, while still working in the same job part time, and I am so much happier.

Every man must find their fate, walk the unbeaten path, walk on untrodden ground!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am

Hi

In a nutshell - I'd say go for it!

Personally I decided some years ago to stick to my day job and have music as a hobby. I've played in bands on and off for about 30 years and have had a great time along the way.

The big difference for me is I am lucky enough to have a day job that I like (I'm a graphic designer)... but if you don't like your day job, it can be soul destroying.

One final thing... I am recovering from cancer at the moment, just started back to work and have a new band bubbling under the surface. However, I had a few months that were dark, and laying in a hospital bed thinking this might be it... I was able to look back and appreciate what a fortunate life I've had (have).

:D
Mark

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:14 pm

David Verb wrote:I always listened to my father, and stopped my music education at high school, applied to study a Bachelor of Business in Marketing, and worked in administration in the construction and development industry.

But after 5 years of hating, deferring and not finishing my course, stressing, being diagnosed with chronic illness (which may in part be related to stress), and breaking a finger on my fretting hand, one decides at one point, to release apprehension and follow the dream.

I've almost completed my first year of Bachelor of Music, while still working in the same job part time, and I am so much happier.

Every man must find their fate, walk the unbeaten path, walk on untrodden ground!
Wow, congrats on following your dream. I know how you feel, my job gets me down. There was a point last year where I was so stressed and depressed I had to take a long period of sick leave to get myself sorted out. I dont think work should make you feel like that.
riffmonster wrote:Hi

In a nutshell - I'd say go for it!

Personally I decided some years ago to stick to my day job and have music as a hobby. I've played in bands on and off for about 30 years and have had a great time along the way.

The big difference for me is I am lucky enough to have a day job that I like (I'm a graphic designer)... but if you don't like your day job, it can be soul destroying.

One final thing... I am recovering from cancer at the moment, just started back to work and have a new band bubbling under the surface. However, I had a few months that were dark, and laying in a hospital bed thinking this might be it... I was able to look back and appreciate what a fortunate life I've had (have).

:D
Well Im glad you're pulling through, Im sure that is a situation where you really look back on your life and think about what you've done with it. Thats one of my biggest things, right now I can look back and say, man, I have not done what I wanted to do...and I need to change that. I mean, Im grateful for my family, but as far as self fulfillment and doing the things that matter to ME, I think I have short changed myself.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm

You only live once. I'm a firm believer in going against the corporate system and trying to make it on your own. Self preservation is a strong motivator. I say follow your gut and just go for it.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Back when we were youngsters starting out we actually use to 'Pay to Play' to get gigs down london trying to promote ourselves... hire a coach to take some fans along etc

Doing covers is the easiest way to make money...or was. But not really my cup of tea, to do on a regular basis at least.

I gave guitar lessons for a while and have been asked to since...
I too considered a career change into teaching (not music though) but think at 45 I've missed that boat now :D
Paul.