TV200 matching cab

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bevrash
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 am

TV200 matching cab

Post by bevrash » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 am

Hey, I have a TV200 and have been waiting for a HP PPC 4x12 as the logical matching cab. I am also considering the Hiwatt SE-4123F and would be keen to see if anyone has been able to A-B the cabs, or has this setup and can share opinions. The $ difference is not important.
Cheers!
Image

jason41224
Orange Master
Posts: 3683
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:50 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by jason41224 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:59 am

i'm not too familiar with hiwatt cabs, but a few things to check in general for any cab: the speakers (brand, type, wattage), and the cab material (birch ply, MDF, etc.). as i'm sure you already know, whatever cab you run will need to be able to handle at least 200W if you're running your TV on full power.
Image
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Contact:

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:19 pm

jason41224 wrote:i'm not too familiar with hiwatt cabs, but a few things to check in general for any cab: the speakers (brand, type, wattage), and the cab material (birch ply, MDF, etc.). as i'm sure you already know, whatever cab you run will need to be able to handle at least 200W if you're running your TV on full power.
No. He shouldn't be running the head through a cab that has a lower power handing than his head's output. We are talking about watts, not decibels.
Monty

baytamusic
Duke of Orange
Posts: 5295
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:23 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by baytamusic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:32 pm

A regular PPC412 should probably be ok with that head with it's 240w rating unless you plan on playing it at 11 which I highly doubt any sound guy in the universe would be ok with. I'm sure someone will probably say you shouldn't do this though.

jason41224
Orange Master
Posts: 3683
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:50 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by jason41224 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:
jason41224 wrote:i'm not too familiar with hiwatt cabs, but a few things to check in general for any cab: the speakers (brand, type, wattage), and the cab material (birch ply, MDF, etc.). as i'm sure you already know, whatever cab you run will need to be able to handle at least 200W if you're running your TV on full power.
No. He shouldn't be running the head through a cab that has a lower power handing than his head's output. We are talking about watts, not decibels.
so you're agreeing with me, no?
Last edited by jason41224 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

doomed
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: south wales

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by doomed » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm

For what it's worth our guitarist runs a tv200 and contacted Orange uk about this, he has a couple of standard Orange 4x12's and they told him under no circumstances to run the TV @ 200W through 1 standard 4x12 on its own or "you WILL kill your cab" :shock: , hence he only runs it at half power through 1 cab, he did re-speaker his Randall cab with 4 Eminence 'SwampThang's to give himself the option of running 1 cab with the amp @ full tilt..... If you put your hand on it when he's applying some grunt the cab feels like it's going to burst :lol: .

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange
Posts: 10149
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:20 pm

The main reason that running the TV200 at full power into a standard PPC-412 cab would cause damage is because it is a 16-ohm cab and the TV200 only has a 16-ohm output option for the 100-watt mode. The mismatch would be the biggest concern. The TV200 might be able to eke out 240 watts on full, but I think that's pushing it. I don't see how anyone could actually play the TV200 fully cranked anyhow without dropping their colon.

However, it is possible that the Vintage 30s cannot handle the bass frequencies that the TV200 can potentially generate with drop-tuned/7-string guitars at high volumes. It is unlikely, however, that the G12K-100s have a drastically lower "minimum" range. They do have higher power-handling though, so they would not be stressed quite as much as the Vintage 30s with 50+ watts going to each speaker.
_________________
Image

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Contact:

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 pm

jason41224 wrote: so you're agreeing with me, no?
Sorry, I read full power wrong. My bad. It's got electrolytes.
Monty

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange
Posts: 10149
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 am

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:
jason41224 wrote: so you're agreeing with me, no?
Sorry, I read full power wrong. My bad. It's got electrolytes.
The Brawndoverb's got what plants crave.
_________________
Image

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Contact:

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:49 am

BUT WHAT DO PLANTS CRAVE?!?!?!?!
Monty

bevrash
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by bevrash » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 am

doomed wrote:For what it's worth our guitarist runs a tv200 and contacted Orange uk about this, he has a couple of standard Orange 4x12's and they told him under no circumstances to run the TV @ 200W through 1 standard 4x12 on its own or "you WILL kill your cab" :shock: , hence he only runs it at half power through 1 cab, he did re-speaker his Randall cab with 4 Eminence 'SwampThang's to give himself the option of running 1 cab with the amp @ full tilt..... If you put your hand on it when he's applying some grunt the cab feels like it's going to burst :lol: .
I know what you mean, I cranked it on 100w the other day and a picture fell off the wall, amazing the glass didn't break, the cab was about to explode. There's no way I'd push 200w through it.

So the orange HP cab has G12K celestions whereas the Hiwatt has Fane 75w purple backs. It was a good point re the impedance as the Hiwatt is 16ohm. I guess it's really down to hearing the cabs back to back which is going to be hard to arrange.

jason41224
Orange Master
Posts: 3683
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:50 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by jason41224 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:29 pm

not sure how it'll sound (i'm not very familiar with fanes) but i'm guessing a 300W cab should be enough for the TV. unless of course, Fane doesn't rate their speakers as conservatively as Celestion does.

what i would do (if i were you) would check out Avatar or one of the similar custom cab makers (Emporer, Whitebox, Stone Age) and see if they can get you a 412 with the G12Ks. it'd probably save you a heck of a lot of money for essentially the same cab as a PPC412. i know money isn't an issue, but that's what would make the most sense to me.
Image
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange
Posts: 10149
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:38 am

Fanes are usually designed to be very neutral-sounding speakers without much character or flavor of their own. That can be a good thing with the right amp (i.e. Hiwatts) or a bad thing depending on your preferences. The G12K-100 is pretty neutral too, so the difference may be small. If money is not an issue, there is no way that I would get anything other than the PPC-412HP for the TV200. I would maybe consider adding a second cab in the future with more flavorful speakers like V30s to have more options though.
_________________
Image

bevrash
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by bevrash » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks folks, I have realized that the Hiwatt SE-4123F is not going to run at 200w as there is no 16Ohm output for 200w. only on 100w so it looks like it going to be the Orange HP PPC 4x12 cab. I'll be keeping my eye out as well for a white cab to match my head which I'll play around with speakers. Thanks for all the responses!

bevrash
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:08 am

Re: TV200 matching cab

Post by bevrash » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:35 am

Well as it turns out I ended up getting the Orange PPC straight V30 loaded cab as it sounded the best out of the three cabs. It hasn't resolved my requirement to run 200w though.

New question: How to re-wire a 8Ohm cab to 16Ohm?

I have a TE 4x12 cab with Silver series running at 8Ohms. If I change this to run at 16Ohms and run both 16Ohm cabs out the two available 8Ohm outputs of the TV200 then this will run 100w into each cab. Can someone tell me if I'm on track or way off?

BTW the TV200 sounds amazing with the Orange cab, funny that!!
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests