Recommend an Acoustic Guitar!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Recommend an Acoustic Guitar!

Post by myboss57 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:43 am

So, I have a co-worker who is looking to buy her hubby a new acoustic guitar for this upcoming x-mas. She's looking at Martins so far. She's asked my opinion (she knows I'm a musician) on what's a good acoustic, but I really have no idea. The only acoustic I've ever had is my cheap Ovation Celebrity that sits in the corner of my living room.
She's looking to spend anywhere from $0-$2000, but I think ultimately would like to stay in the $1000-1400 range.
Her hubby likes classic rock, HUGE Pink Floyd fan, if that's of any significance.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Re: Recommend an Acoustic Guitar!

Post by kmlabs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Well I was going to say Tanglewood Roadster, but I think that's a little below your colleague's price point!

That said though, it's a great guitar - everyone who has played it has loved it. They're less than £200 now too :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm

That's a pretty wide range.

I'd recommend a Gibson J-100xtra. She could probably get a used one for that range.... big sound, excellent playability.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Martins are great guitars. My favorite model of theirs, is surprisingly a lower budget one called the Shenandoah. It is basically a D-18 copy or sorts. I don't think they make these anymore.

But, with Martins many of their models have an extremely different neck profile or heel on the back of the neck, so playing them first might be extremely necessary, As I've found I don't like the neck on many of their high end models. It may be this way with the other brands too, but I've noticed it to extremes with the Martins.

With that price range, you're going to get a zillion choices thrown at you. It would be nice to perhaps put X amount on a credit card/gift card visa, and then make a day of it with him to go try out guitars and let him choose. If he stays under budget, tell her to take him out for dinner too. I'm assuming he can play already, so he should know what he likes and doesn't like when he gets his hands on some.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:41 pm

The Martin DC16 series is a pretty good mix of Martin and Taylor sounds. Has the Taylor sound with that Martin warmth and body. Also the electronics are Fishman, not the garbage that Taylor puts in their guitar. I have a DC16-GTE and literally everywhere I play I get a "holy pile of poop that is a good sounding acoustic guitar" comment from the sound engineer.

If he's more into folk, look into Gibsons or other Martin models.
Monty

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 pm

If he's planning on plugging it in, any reasonable pickup system sounds good as long as you've got any sound engineer with half a brain there. Most pickup systems for acoustics need a trim in the midrange, so as you can't always guarantee a good sound engineer, if your husband doesn't know how to mix, maybe get him something with an onboard preamp, or an external preamp so he can tweak it himself.

Remember, electric guitarists, when it comes to acoustic guitar, mids are BAD! You need to chop some of them out.

Martins usually sound pleasant to me, but not everyone likes them. I love the way Taylors feel, can't stand the way they sound - way too toppy and brash. The high end Gibbys are nice. If you avoid the big ticket names, there are plenty of guitars which give excellent value for money, and often a better tone than a big name equivalent at the same price range. Some of the more expensive Takamines, Seagulls might be nice. Larrivees too. The cheaper Gibsons that Bill pointed out are good for super-jumbo style guitars.

Honestly though, acoustic guitars are intensely personal because you can't alter the tone in the same way as you can with an electric too easily. Especially when playing unplugged at home! My advice would be to promise to get him a guitar, then let him go shopping. Best way to do it is to leave the wallet at home at first, then go and play EVERYTHING (irrespective of price) and work out what body shapes & woods he likes on his guitars. I've played a lot of acoustics and own a couple of real top-price boutique ones, and invariably - no matter what name is on the headstock, or pickup system it has - I come back to either dreadnoughts or slope-shouldered dreadnoughts with rosewood backs.

Think that's probably best...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm

i agree about Taylors elctronics...unless you get one of the higher end models with the TES (414s and above...$2000), the onboard electronics aren't that great. otherwise, i love Taylor's tone.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 pm

irish_admiral wrote:....I come back to either dreadnoughts or slope-shouldered dreadnoughts with rosewood backs.

this... but skip the slope. only thing I've ever had, or want.

otherwise, gotta know more about what he already has/likes/plays to make any real suggestion. without that... just give him a $1400 gift card...
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:27 pm

When I was on the hunt for an acoustic I wanted something that sounded great and played nice, but also wasn't TOO expensive for the simple fact that it would probably get taken out on camping trips, or parties, or get beat up by my kids, or whatever. I pretty much only play electric, so basically the acoustic is for those times where an electric isn't around. I played a wide range of guitars over a few months and I wound up with an Epiphone Masterbilt (an all maple model). It plays great, is built solid, was setup perfectly out of the box, and sounds amazing! And all for about 500 bucks...I played a lot of guitars that were 2-3 times as much and weren't nearly as nice.

It also comes in Rosewood, mahogany, or maple.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations! Yeah, I told her to just take him to the store and let him pick - as if it was me getting a guitar I wouldn't want my wife to just pick one out and give it to me, not that my wife doesn't have good taste, but I just would want to play it and see how it feels.

I forwarded all of this to her, so hopefully she'll get him something nice. I know he finger picks a lot (not classical style, however), but is learning to play with picks more. He has quite a few electrics, and some other acoustics as well - couldn't tell you what kind though. And I just know he's a Pink Floyd fan.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Martin all the way baby!
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

StonieSlagg
Rocker

Post by StonieSlagg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Martin. They're the Orange of acoustic guitars...

Actually, Orange is the Martin of amplifiers...

Everyone tells me they're crazy. Well crazy people aren't so f**king boring. So wake me when you're through being cool, cause I'm snoring...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:45 pm

I wouldn't say that.

Martins divide opinion. Most people i've come across like Orange...

I generally feel that Martins and Taylors are overpriced for what they are. Generally if you can't see beyond the big names it because you haven't played enough other guitars. Not saying there's not some good ones in the big ticket boys, only you can get better for the money.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 am

I've been underwhelmed by the Martins that I've tried. I like Yamahas for the money, but the Epiphone Masterbuilts are worth a look as well.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 am

I bought a new $350 dollar fender acoustic back in 98'. It was the first guitar I ever bought. I could go look and get the model number, but it doesn't matter. Point is, for the money, it has been great. It is intonated well, and I just put some of the new martin lifespan strings on it, oiled the fretboard, and man did that guitar come back to life! It doesn't have pickups in it, but I just ham around on it. I've been to guitarcenter and played their $2000 dollar acoustics, and I just can't justify spending the money. With the right pickups, I'd play my fender anywhere.

Either I have crappy ears, or the budget guitars can sound great if you get a good one....acoustic selection is such a vast market, that I'm glad I'm not looking for one.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI