Laptop choice? Way ot

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Laptop choice? Way ot

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:59 pm

My computer is old now. Looking for a laptop to save space and move about if needed.
My needs are basic. Internet browsing, watching YouTube, searching info, no downloading of music as I do through iTunes on my phone plus I got loads of viruses from downloading from isohunt. Don't watch films online or download either. Want a DVD drive, my boy plays the free kids games on magazines. able to use word if needed for updating my cv and stuff like that. Don't do gaming at all. Only solitary lol.
Will upload photos and store them on there too.
My old comp is 5 years old and has windows xp and has 80gb hard drive which is about 70% full. So a massive hardrive isn't important either. I can get full office package from I.T at work also.

Any ideas what spec to look for? Big/small ram? Security?
I know nothing about computers lol.
Maybe a net book with plug in hardrive?

Any help is good

Thanks
Tone is everything

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Re: Laptop choice? Way ot

Post by kmlabs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Hey dude,

From what you're going to be doing, I'd say just about any modern laptop would do all that. I'd get one with a built-in optical drive & hard drive, to save on lugging extra bits around and losing cables etc!

As a general rule of thumb, the more memory you go for the better. I'd say decide what you want to spend, look at somewhere like Dell (I know a lot of people slate Dell but I think they offer a good product at a good price) and find the one with the biggest RAM.

If you're not too precious about it, you could check the Dell Outlet too - it's very cheap, but you don't get to spec your own computer, they're ex-demo/refurb models.
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:01 pm

i'd always reccomend mac. i love those computers.

but, they are quite expensive. at least the bang/buck ratio is pretty small. that's why i have an HP. i got it refurbished for $500, and it has a really good sized hard drive (6GB memory and 640HD). love it! i'm starting to work with protools on it too, and it's handling it like a charm.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm

It sounds like you don't really need a high-end card etc, so I'd go a an HP or Dell lappy for around the 500-600$ mark. That should get you something with a decent amount of space and 4gb ram, should be plenty for what you're doing. I'd avoid the Macs TBH...I still have no idea how their prices are justified. Maybe its because they're shiny, I dunno--also they cost a hell of a lot to repair.

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Mac....nuff said.
"Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry."
"There are only two kinds of music; music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Cheers for the advice guys.

If I had the money for a mac I'd buy a thunderverb 50 head!
I don't want a mac really. There Is one I saw 2gb ram 250gb hard drive £900! Wtf! Laptop with 4gb ram and 400g hardrive £450. How are there prices real?

I'll look into a basic package. My comp is fast enough but riddled with bugs and old/tatty and bulky. Prob go for 2 gig ram and 250gb hardrive. Dell is good from what I know. People at work say there good.
Tone is everything

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:46 pm

if you've ever owned a mac, you'd understand how their prices are justified. but i agree, they're really high.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:43 am

jason41224 wrote:if you've ever owned a mac, you'd understand how their prices are justified. but i agree, they're really high.
+1

The main justification of the cost is the operating system. Their service life is generally longer as well. They're not for everyone though.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 am

macdaddy
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:03 am

I've owned several dells and hp's throughout my life, finally became a mac owner a few months ago and it's the greatest decision I've ever made when it comes to computers. Well worth the extra price tag.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:55 am

For virtually the same price as a macbook pro, I could buy this:

http://apcmag.com/notebookhunter/deals/ ... of-ram.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That thing would laugh in any macs face, TBH. A bit like comparing a horse and cart to the ship that landed at Roswell...I don't want to start a fued or anything, I know there are a hell of a lot of mac fans out there, but for me, they don't represent value for money.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:56 pm

starling1 wrote:For virtually the same price as a macbook pro, I could buy this:

http://apcmag.com/notebookhunter/deals/ ... of-ram.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That thing would laugh in any macs face, TBH. A bit like comparing a horse and cart to the ship that landed at Roswell...I don't want to start a fued or anything, I know there are a hell of a lot of mac fans out there, but for me, they don't represent value for money.
Uhh. I don't think the guy needs a $2.4k laptop. Also the whole greatness about Macs are the OS, not the machine themselves. If I could run Mac OS on a Dell, then I'd buy a Dell.

Also, my Macbook pro ran me only $1.1k. I use my macbook for internet, background music, and homework. I use my Mac Pro for the heavy stuff (but then again that bad boy costed me $4.5k)
Monty

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Any modern laptop should be more than enough for the things you want it for at the price range of 400-800$.

TiPs:
- matt screens are better than glossy ones.
- small laptops are usually better 12'-14'(better portability, better construction quality)
- ram above 2GB is more than enough
- always check the battery life (it usually tells more about the design quality of a laptop)
- most modern laptops are not built to last for more than 3 years
- I usually avoid Sony (overpriced), HP (they tend to be faulty, except for the compaq series). I prefer Acer, Dell and Lenovo (Thinkpad series).
- Stay away from every flavour of Vista OS. 64BIT OS perform better with modern intel microprocessors.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:Cheers for the advice guys.

If I had the money for a mac I'd buy a thunderverb 50 head!
I don't want a mac really. There Is one I saw 2gb ram 250gb hard drive £900! Wtf! Laptop with 4gb ram and 400g hardrive £450. How are there prices real?

I'll look into a basic package. My comp is fast enough but riddled with bugs and old/tatty and bulky. Prob go for 2 gig ram and 250gb hardrive. Dell is good from what I know. People at work say there good.
Try running malwarebytes on there....its a free download and usually finds bugs with a quick scan that other antivirus/malware programs miss altogether

If that fails you could always try putting ubuntu linux operating system on there...
Its an open source free operating system... primarily a computer geeks platform but becoming more user friendly with every release, with the stability more of an OSX platform
Paul.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Mint is another great linux distro. Supreme usability- Mac does reign supreme, but like a Ferrari, you will pay a premium.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact