New Tubes for the New Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

evansexcellent

Re: New Tubes for the New Terror

Post by evansexcellent » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:51 am

I would buy a TungSol 12ax7 to try in v1. JJ ECC83s. And a NOS 5751 for fun to use in either position. I would also try http://thetubestore.com/preferred7189.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't tried them yet but I have some on the way because some one gave me the recommendation.
Guitars: Gibson LP classic, G&L ASAT special, 83 G&L S500, Fender Mex Strat.
Amps: Orange RK50mkII, Orange AD30htc, THD Flexi 50, Fender Twin Reverb (silverface), Sovtek Mig50(to come)
Cabs: Marshall 425a and Avatar 212 w/v30s

RedTerror

Post by RedTerror » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:06 am

evansexcellent wrote:I would buy a TungSol 12ax7 to try in v1. JJ ECC83s. And a NOS 5751 for fun to use in either position. I would also try http://thetubestore.com/preferred7189.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't tried them yet but I have some on the way because some one gave me the recommendation.
Hell yeah! Those Tung-Sol 12AX7 Golds sound like the ideal 12AX7. I also considered the possibility some other 12AX7 would fair better. I've also made up my mind to do a total retube. I know enough to know I've got a carton of bad eggs. These powertubes have terrible tonal balance; real boomy bass and muddy mids, and wayyy too much volume. I'm also convinced the fizziness is not entirely the 12AX7s' fault. The harmonics are definitely not as rich and pronounced as they should be. I think there are some microphonic issues, here. Givin' me serious ear fatigue. And I'm glad to hear some corroboration on the 7189s; they sound like they're really built to take the heat, and the Tiny Terror really dishes out some pain. Also, combo situations are less forgiving, so it sounded like the safest bet, to me. But those Gold Lions sound like pure decadence. Gotta try those out some day, but I'm not exactly made of money right now. You gotta tell me how it goes with those 7189s. Thanks a billion!

The Red Terror

RedTerror

Post by RedTerror » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 am

I'm thrilled to update this thread by announcing that after much contemplation, consideration and contrastive comparisson, I selected four new tubes and purchased them today. :D I have decided, against the advice of thetubestore.com, upon a matched pair of Gold Lion EL84s for my poweramp. The review just sounded like everything I want from them, and the allure was too strong. I plan on getting a pair of Preferred Series 7189s at the earliest possible opportunity for backups, considering that mileage is lacking with the Gold Lions, which will suffer all the more in a cathode biased combo like the Tiny Terror. But if the Gold Lions really deliver, I don't think I'll mind retubing a little more frequently.

As for my preamp, I've decided to stick with the original plan: I got a JAN Phillips 5751 for the driver stage in V1 position, and an NOS British Mullard/CV 12AT7WA for the phase inverter in V2 position. I paid extra for premium testing and matched triodes for superior drive and phase inversion, and described their intended purposes in the comments box, so hopefully I'll get the goods.

I'm really excited and anxious to see what becomes of it. I plan on recording before-and-after tracks, taking pictures, and otherwise documenting and reporting my observations and opinions here. :B

Thanks, everyone, for all the help and support! It made all the difference. :)

RedTerror

Post by RedTerror » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:14 am

Ok, so here's the final verdict:

I replaced each tube one by one, starting with the phase inverter, so that I could compare the old preamps against a clear and inobtrusive one, so in went the Mullard CV4024 (12AT7) to V2. It cleaned up the headroom substantially with just the one replacement, and sounded much better immediately. So I went ahead and put in the JAN Philips 5751 with great interest. What struck me right away was how much a superior quality preamp pairing contrasted with the stock poweramp tubes, and I eagerly put in the Gold Lions and closed up the head before trying them out; I already knew I would not have the inclination or desire to go back on it. And WOW! These tubes are GAWGEOUS. The Gold Lions are really well balanced tonally, which really aids the tone control, which is made more sensitive thereby. No more boominess and ear fatigue. Really great tracking with the preamp and crisp crunch. The difference between the Tiny Terror with the stock tubes and the Tiny Terror with great tubes is like night and day. It makes me feel sad for Orange, and sad for players who've been using the stock tubes without variation for years without considering others. No offense to Orange, or to players who are fond of the stock tubes, but I really feel that the stock tubes are horrid by comparisson. They were really holding the amp back from greatness to my ears. I'm just thankful that it was merely inferior tubes; this is so much closer to the Tiny Terror I fell in love with at first sound. It just sounds so immensely better. Please, Orange, stop using cheap Chinese tubes, and stock players, please mend your ways and hear the bright; you deserve so much better than this! They look as inferior as they sound; the power tubes weren't even labeled. =[ There's a bigger and brighter world out there, for sure.