OT: We already heard ages. Let's hear careers

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

OT: We already heard ages. Let's hear careers

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:36 am

What does everyone do for a living? And to make this somewhat relevant, what is your ultimate GAS instrument?

I'll start:
I work in international logistics.
I make sure products/commodities have the correct paperwork to cross international borders. Working on a MS in Decision Sciences (basically a fancy word for Supply Chain Management) so that I can move into business planning/forecasting.

My dream instrument would be a Steinway grand. I have played a few and they sound incredible. I'm not much of a pianist, but boy would that be such a treat for writing.
Monty

JRogero
Orange Hero

Re: OT: We already heard ages. Let's hear careers

Post by JRogero » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:04 am

I work for Intel as an etch technician in Components research. Basically we try to make really, really tiny structures using a combination of chemical and plasma etches.

Right my dream guitar would be a vintage Gibson Firebird.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:22 am

Pricing and Risk analytics for a motorbike insurer, also acoustic covers musician on the weekend.

Basically my job is mathematics and arguing/debate :D

My ultimate GAS would be a master crafted Erhu. I don't know how to play it but would love to get one and learn.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:58 am

I work as a Systems Engineer for one of those newfangled green energy start-up companies (high temp fuel cells). I do some rotating shiftwork to remotely control/monitor our customer installations (Google, Ebay, Apple, other places). The shiftwork is mostly like reactive response to problems in the field, and also power management/optimization of the fleet. I also control and run tests on newly manufactured systems to assess the quality/performance of each system before we send them to the field.

The other half of my job is more like data analysis, software design, and controls engineering. I also help develop predictive and automated diagnostic controls/interfaces to improve our monitoring/management capabilities. I may transfer to do somewhat similar type work with manufacturing vs. field operations.

I have no idea what my dream piece of gear would be. Probably a Blonde '59 Jazzmaster or something. Maybe a surf green/sonic blue one from the early 60s. Also, maybe a black 70s Telecaster Deluxe, but one of those is actually probably feasible for me to pick up if I move some gear around.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 am

Studied catering business management....

..... to work as a commercial insurance underwriter (material damage and liability)....

all that to try and retrain now in management accountancy!!!

And I wouldn't mind one of those, a Vigier GV:

Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 am

JRogero wrote:I work for Intel as an etch technician in Components research. Basically we try to make really, really tiny structures using a combination of chemical and plasma etches.

samsung austin semiconductor. CMP-LSI. bunnysuit brethren!!! pissed though. i was going to make it sound all awesome :(

anyway, i take what JRogero does and polish them until they are microscopically flat, so he can etch more on top of it!

and all that, after time and LOTS of money, allows you to play angry birds on your smart phone!

PS: intel has a portland fab eh....

oh and ultimate GAS instrument? damn...i would really like a silverburst explorer, but there are so many guitars i GAS for on a daily basis.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:
JRogero wrote:I work for Intel as an etch technician in Components research. Basically we try to make really, really tiny structures using a combination of chemical and plasma etches.

samsung austin semiconductor. CMP-LSI. bunnysuit brethren!!! pissed though. i was going to make it sound all awesome :(

anyway, i take what JRogero does and polish them until they are microscopically flat, so he can etch more on top of it!

and all that, after time and LOTS of money, allows you to play angry birds on your smart phone!

oh and ultimate GAS instrument? damn...i would really like a silverburst explorer, but there are so many guitars i GAS for on a daily basis.
I drive by the San Jose/Santa Clara Intel factory on my way to work!

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 am

I teach guitar, and have for about 20 years now. I also have a diploma in industrial electrical which I worked at for a few years many moons ago. My ultimate dream gear would be the two guitars I already have, a deluxe Strat and my '61 SG. Oh and I really need a JCM 800 some time.

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 am

One more engineer (where are the poets, janitors and circus performers?)... Im an IT MCSE engineer working free lance at the moment (I install the equipment the gentlemen above make). We need a programmer to complete the chain.

A 60s SG could probably supress my gas for a while.
Last edited by leopoldbloom on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:03 am

Management and accounting.

When I was a trainee the pay was so bad I could earn a weeks wages on a friday night pub gig (that was the 1970s though). But once over that hurdle the balance swings big time.
Here we go; three, four...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 am

I'm a photographer/web designer/rock star ;)

My dream instrument would be some weird custom-made guitar with hexaphonic pickups tailored to my rig, designed to emulate a guitar and bass simultaneously ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:07 am

ESBlonde wrote:Management and accounting.

When I was a trainee the pay was so bad I could earn a weeks wages on a friday night pub gig (that was the 1970s though). But once over that hurdle the balance swings big time.
that pic in your sig explains why you are called EsBlonde. Absolutely gorgeous.

speaking of which, can i change my gas instrument to one of these? preferably the blue, purple or green.
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... mited.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:19 am

Uni Student and part time waiter

My ultimate guitar is the 61 sg, someday! someday! :lol:
Liam

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am

indianDYsummer wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:

I drive by the San Jose/Santa Clara Intel factory on my way to work!
And I'm about 1 minute up the road from Intel's chip plant in Hudson MA! small world- they're everywhere!

I'm the Art Department Chair of a private elementary/ middle day and boarding school - teaching art and overseeing three other art teachers...

GAS right now? Absolutely nothing! After making and paying for my girlfriend's engagement ring, I'm pretty well tapped out! (Haven't given it to her yet... need to talk with her dad...)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:31 am

bclaire wrote:GAS right now? Absolutely nothing! After making and paying for my girlfriend's engagement ring, I'm pretty well tapped out! (Haven't given it to her yet... need to talk with her dad...)

Aaaaawwwwwwww :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute