Cleaning the tolex on an Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

funky_wrench
Tiny Terror

Cleaning the tolex on an Orange

Post by funky_wrench » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:33 am

I have a Rocker 30 that I bought used and sadly the previous owner didn't treat the amp as well as I treat my amps.

The amp's fine with nothing more than minor scuffs here and there in the tolex. One thing that is bugging m however is the tolex being dirty which makes my Orange appear... well less orange.

So I'm wondering if anyone has some tips on the best ways to clean tolex and turn my Ochre amp back into an Orange amp?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Cleaning the tolex on an Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Bucket of warm water, mix in one drop of dish soap, use with a soft cloth dampened with the mixture and clean with a circular motion. Gentle enough not to cause damage to the tolex or glue and will get the grime out. You'll be amazed how much better that works then alot of cleaning solutions sold on the market.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:32 pm

I'd use the dish soap and warm water as well, but use a sponge for the initial cleaning, then wipe up the excess with a towel or cloth. The sponge will lather the soapy water better, and allow you to lightly scrub better too.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Yeah - soap and water are effective. Even elbow grease and a wet paper towel can do the trick too if it's not too severe. There's definitely no need for chemicals or solvents.

RedTerror

Post by RedTerror » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:45 am

I would avoid paper anything; it breaks up under such pressure and bits get stuck in the grooves of the tolex, and it dries on there and won't come off without the sort of elbow grease that scratches and ruins tolex, and it's extremely unsightly. Orange also advises against applying moisture directly to any of their amps' surfaces due to risk of damage or electric shock, but if you leave your amp unplugged for an hour, most stored current should be gone, and serious risk of damage or electric shock is diminished.

Hope this helps,
The Red Terror

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:20 am

RedTerror wrote:I would avoid paper anything; it breaks up under such pressure and bits get stuck in the grooves of the tolex, and it dries on there and won't come off without the sort of elbow grease that scratches and ruins tolex, and it's extremely unsightly...
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. All of the Orange cabs I've bought have had the black rubber residue from the heads sitting on them. Each time I have easily removed them with nothing more than a wet paper towel and a twisting motion. If there had been any bits of paper left behind in the tolex, a toothbrush would have done the trick. However, a damp rag would still be most effective.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:59 am

Randy Bass wrote:
RedTerror wrote:I would avoid paper anything; it breaks up under such pressure and bits get stuck in the grooves of the tolex, and it dries on there and won't come off without the sort of elbow grease that scratches and ruins tolex, and it's extremely unsightly...
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. All of the Orange cabs I've bought have had the black rubber residue from the heads sitting on them. Each time I have easily removed them with nothing more than a wet paper towel and a twisting motion. If there had been any bits of paper left behind in the tolex, a toothbrush would have done the trick. However, a damp rag would still be most effective.
I've resorted to leaving to pieces of cardboard underneath my head!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

RedTerror

Post by RedTerror » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:18 am

I just would rather use a cloth and not have to deal with bits of paper, but that's just me. To be fair, though, bits of paper aren't a major concern.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:40 am

David Verb wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:
I've resorted to leaving to pieces of cardboard underneath my head!
I've thought about taking the feet off my amps and using some heat-shrink plastic wrap to keep the marks off my cabs, but I quickly realized I don't actually care about those marks.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 am

indianDYsummer wrote:I've thought about taking the feet off my amps and using some heat-shrink plastic wrap to keep the marks off my cabs, but I quickly realized I don't actually care about those marks.
this
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:27 pm

I've restored a few amps. I used warm water, dish soap, and a tooth brush. Then wiped down with a damp cloth. Just test an area on the bottom to make sure the tolex can handle the tooth brush scrubbing. I'd also take the chasis out of the head box while you're cleaning just to be safe.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:04 pm

I personally don't care if my gear has marks on it, if I know I'm going to keep it for the long haul, but so many times, I'm searching for my tone, and there is a chance I'll resell the gear. In this case, I try to keep it as nice as possible for quicker resell and value. The orange tolex dings easily and if it does get marks, it is nearly impossible to to remove it completely, as most marks will always be visible, if even slightly. On a black tolex amp, you have many ways to blacken the scuff back in to were it is not noticeable.

On my orange PPC412, I put a small strip of cork on the top of the amp. I bought this cork strip at a hobby store, like hobby lobby. It cost maybe 2 bucks. It actually matches the color of the basketweave covering, so doesn't look out of place. It has protected the top nicely.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

RedTerror

Post by RedTerror » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Tolex also tears easily, and it is so beautiful when pristine, and so ugly when torn. It's a real tragedy.

evansexcellent

Post by evansexcellent » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:14 pm

I had my THD Flexi on top of my brand new rockerverb and slid it off to move and noticed black marks from the rubber feet. Was super bummed at first then just used a lightly damp cloth and it came off. Even though I know it can come off I keep the THD on a different amp now haha.
Guitars: Gibson LP classic, G&L ASAT special, 83 G&L S500, Fender Mex Strat.
Amps: Orange RK50mkII, Orange AD30htc, THD Flexi 50, Fender Twin Reverb (silverface), Sovtek Mig50(to come)
Cabs: Marshall 425a and Avatar 212 w/v30s

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.... those things are badass.