Do you agree?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Do you agree?

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 am

but one thing nobody mentioned is that it is very compressed, very forgiving, and not very touch sensitive compared to a Flexi, which is not forgiving, in that it is very touch sensitive. Both sound good, but they are nothing alike, in either the way they sound or the way they play.
Found that on gearpage, a friend of mine is concerned in buying a rocker because of that comment.
accept darkness.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Re: Do you agree?

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:26 am

I think that guy must be playing his R30 with the volume at -7 or something. Mine is pretty darn sensitive to playing dynamics, not too compressed or fizzy, and I only play mine at -2.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:51 pm

i don't get what you mean with -2 and -7. the volume or the gain knob? i can't imagine the positions with these numbers
accept darkness.

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:38 pm

The Rocker 30 was my first amp after having a Mesa Boogie rectum-fryer (as a young dumb youth). I felt like I had to re-learn the guitar because all of my mistakes and subtle nuances were masked with the rectum-fryer but they were amplified and pointed out with the R30.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Bandeapart wrote:The Rocker 30 was my first amp after having a Mesa Boogie rectum-fryer (as a young dumb youth). I felt like I had to re-learn the guitar because all of my mistakes and subtle nuances were masked with the rectum-fryer but they were amplified and pointed out with the R30.
Oh no... not more Mesa hate...
Monty

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 pm

could be that he had a Rockerverb 50 and thought he was comparing like amps. that seems to happen way too often. anyhow, of course it's wrong.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Read the first 5 words of that quote. "but one thing nobody mentioned". That's because nobody was a toneless minded as the person who wrote that review! Orange amp to me, especially the Rocker series are one of the most un-compressed, touch sensitive amps I've played. Thats why I love them.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:56 pm

TESLA_EL34 wrote:i don't get what you mean with -2 and -7. the volume or the gain knob? i can't imagine the positions with these numbers
I was kidding. I play mine at pretty low volumes and it still sounds pretty good. It is definitely less touch sensitive and more compressed sounding at low volumes (due to overuse of preamp distortion most likely), but that guy must play it at whisper quiet levels to think it's that bad.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 pm

The Rocker 30 is as unforgiving and transparent as any amp I've played. It's totally useless for my Limpbizkit cover band.

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:10 am

Randy Bass wrote:The Rocker 30 is as unforgiving and transparent as any amp I've played. It's totally useless for my Limpbizkit cover band.
Wait you have a Limbizkit cover band too? I thought I was the only one.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 am

hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:The Rocker 30 is as unforgiving and transparent as any amp I've played. It's totally useless for my Limpbizkit cover band.
Wait you have a Limbizkit cover band too? I thought I was the only one.
I do too. I do the part of the douchebag in the band.... you know who I'm talking about, all of them.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am

Granted, I'm still honeymooning but I would hardly call this amp compressed... To me it sounds like it reacts quite natural and raw.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:26 pm

TESLA_EL34 wrote:
but one thing nobody mentioned is that it is very compressed, very forgiving, and not very touch sensitive compared to a Flexi, which is not forgiving, in that it is very touch sensitive. Both sound good, but they are nothing alike, in either the way they sound or the way they play.

I would kind of wonder if the amp was still packaged in the shipping box when he was trying it out.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

macg1
Rocker

Post by macg1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm

I guess if you use active pickups, and dime the gain knob, and put overdrives and distortion boxes in front, you will reach compression land. All my main guitars use Firebird pickups, and the R30 barks when i hit it hard, and purrs when i back off the volume a bit and change my pick attack. I also am using a very high wattage speaker, which makes for even less compression as the speaker distortion is minimized. I think the R30 is a superbly dynamic amp.
I've got love to burn!
-Orange Rocker 30, 1x15 Glaswerks Cab, Emminence Big Ben.
-2010 LP Trad Pro, 2002 Gibson FB VII.
-Celestial Effects Scorpio, Aquarius, Virgo, Taurus, Sinna-a Wah, Line 6 MM4, TC Alter Ego.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Just because someone posted it online doesn't make it true. Bottom line is he needs to go play it.

I can't speak for the R30 but the Flexi is more touch sensative than my AD30 or my Genz Benz. The Flexi kind of has a clean amp response even when pretty dirty. I'd bet the R30 will have more gain so maybe your friend should take that into consideration.

I got my Flexi about 2 years after almost exclusively playing the AD30 and the Flexi was more transparent and showed my mistakes a lot more. One of the few times that I really had to watch my playing a lot more than did I get it right or wrong. Had to watch my left and right hand touch.

So, I would wager that the Flexi might be more touch sensitive but of course I haven't spent much time on an R30 BUT that sure as hell doesn't mean the R30 lacks at all in being a touch sensitive amp. If it's on par with the AD30 I know I'd love it.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;