Question about Vox AC30 and palmer box

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

flea
Orange Master

Question about Vox AC30 and palmer box

Post by flea » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted around here, been really busy playing. How's everyone been? My question is about the Vox AC30 C2X, and a Palmer PDI-09 direct box. To hook the palmer up to the amp, if I plug the palmer into the extension plug, and keep the impedance switch at 16 ohms (the speaker's impedance), would that be right?

This is taken from the palmer manual:

If your amplifier has multiple speaker outputs then these can also be used to connect to The Junction. Since the PDI-09 does not load the speaker output, no change will take place in the amplifier’s impedance adjustments. If your amp has a variable impedance switch, it should be set at the impedance of your speaker/speaker cabinet or external load box.

Sounds right to me, but I just wanted to make sure since I wouldn't be using the thru jack on it like I would be hooking up a head and cab. Thanks!

bassdrop
Orange Master

Re: Question about Vox AC30 and palmer box

Post by bassdrop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 pm

It looks like it's essentially a passive DI, with some cool filters, that also accepts speaker level. My Radial JDI is very similar. It doesn't look like there is a simple way to run this DI inline on the AC30. You may be better off getting someone to wire you a jack for it that keeps the DI inline where no impedance change is what the transformer should see. The way the amp is configured now is for an additional load. Another way to do it would be run to run an extension cab and have the DI run inline with that and connect to the appropriate jack for the impedance of the extension cab.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:14 pm

I've thought about running another cab, but I'd really like to mic the speakers in the amp, and run along side it. Been trying to call Palmer today and find out, with no luck. Looks like a trip to the tech!

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:05 pm

For anyone that may be interested, Palmer just got back with me and told me to connect the box to the extension jack using a speaker cable, and that would do it.