the Sword

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: the Sword

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:53 pm

hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:Our bass player has a classic svt cab and the tolex is coming off all over the place we play probably a tenth of what the sword does so I am going to say that the wear on that cab is legit.
Booo! :lol:

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 am

*Shrugs* maybe its just me then. Saying that they're both heavy bands is a bit broad though, to be fair. You'd have to say they sound a hell of a lot more like coc than say soilent green, which is also a heavy band.

I dunno. I don't find anything unique about them. Another pastiche of everything I've heard innumerable times in other bands/ projects (particularly COC), which I suppose you could argue is everything that is ever going to be produced now, but for me they lack some indefinable element that would, were it to exist, might make them a standout band. I dunno. I have the same opinion of Do Make Say Think, but everybody I know who is in to post-rock thinks they're the shizzle, so if we're basing truth on popular consensus its highly probable I've no idea what I'm on about.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:07 am

Seen em many times live. They are killer.Met and partied with them before, really cool dudes.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:10 pm

starling1 wrote:*Shrugs* maybe its just me then. Saying that they're both heavy bands is a bit broad though, to be fair. You'd have to say they sound a hell of a lot more like coc than say soilent green, which is also a heavy band.

I dunno. I don't find anything unique about them. Another pastiche of everything I've heard innumerable times in other bands/ projects (particularly COC), which I suppose you could argue is everything that is ever going to be produced now, but for me they lack some indefinable element that would, were it to exist, might make them a standout band. I dunno. I have the same opinion of Do Make Say Think, but everybody I know who is in to post-rock thinks they're the shizzle, so if we're basing truth on popular consensus its highly probable I've no idea what I'm on about.

well, they both are heavy bands, broad statement or not, but in my ear, they are not similar.

I agree that, the Sword hasn't done anything so stellar that they have solidified themselves as some breakout band at the pinnacle, but maybe they will. I think they've got the sound down, and their identity too, and they've got a pretty good following this far. (oh, and you have to know what you're talking about, as it's your opinion 8) ) We welcome opinions in this forum, unlike some others I've been in.

As far as standout bands go, in the world we live in with bands getting endorsement deals like Attack Attack, I think the Sword is a refreshing experience. We don't need a breakout heavy band like Metallica was, to unify the masses, in order to appreciate some heavy riffage.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:52 am

Orange + Gibson Explorer = EPIC!!!!
"Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry."
"There are only two kinds of music; music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 am

ironlung40 wrote:Sorry, but I see no COC in the Sword.

i agree

The Sword are like a less diverse less bluesy Clutch

i dig em - but i prefer clutch

both are better than COC imnsho
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Van Cleef wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:Sorry, but I see no COC in the Sword.

i agree

The Sword are like a less diverse less bluesy Clutch

i dig em - but i prefer clutch

both are better than COC imnsho
Yeah, I prefer clutch as well. I was lucky enough to have seen Graveyard, The Sword, and Clutch, in that order in a couple of years ago. Now, that was a great show!
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Sorry if this topic is sort of done. But I have to say that I'm a fan of Torche and through setting up a Pandora Radio (or was it Slacker Radio?) Torche channel I've come across The Sword. They've always intrigued me and I always liked how they had a vintagey sound yet still modern and heavier. Anyways, this thread has lead me to download one of their albums (Gods of the Earth) and I love it so far!

One thing that really excites me is the heavy grooves they get into and the lack of shredding. Don't get me wrong, shredding has its place and I appreciate it, but after a while I'm just like "enough!", as it all starts to sound like "didlydidlydidlydidly, wawawararadidlydid", ya dig? I like the classy heavy riffing and some of the guitar harmonies that they get into. Now, I'm saying this before I've heard the entire thing, but so far it's not shreddy and I like it! 8)
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 pm

myboss57 wrote: They've always intrigued me and I always liked how they had a vintagey sound yet still modern and heavier.

One thing that really excites me is the heavy grooves they get into and the lack of shredding.
That's a pretty accurate description and also why I like them! I'm really a lot less about fast/flashy playing and more about the groove compared to a few years back. They've been on pretty regular listening rotation for me in the last 2 years or so. They also have a split with The Sword and Witchcraft, another good band.

Also, Clutch is wicked good... that is all.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:44 pm

DiabloS wrote:
myboss57 wrote: They've always intrigued me and I always liked how they had a vintagey sound yet still modern and heavier.

One thing that really excites me is the heavy grooves they get into and the lack of shredding.
That's a pretty accurate description and also why I like them! I'm really a lot less about fast/flashy playing and more about the groove compared to a few years back. They've been on pretty regular listening rotation for me in the last 2 years or so. They also have a split with The Sword and Witchcraft, another good band.

Also, Clutch is wicked good... that is all.
I've heard so many good things about Clutch - but everything I've listened to by them leaves me a little disappointed, not sure what it is, I just can't get into them. But I'll have to check out Witchcraft too - thanks!
There are times where I enjoy a shred (like Psyopus or some power metal band) but I can't usually take that for long. But I can listen to something with a good heavy groove all day! 8)
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:25 am

check it out..........notice the backline.........guitars not too shabby either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MuwGk_AfyI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 am

Saw the Sword open for Kyuss Lives Saturday night. Good show. I got a Sword pick from the singer. I do prefer COC though. I wish Pepper would quit Down and get COC back rocking.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 am

blackcloud45 wrote:Saw the Sword open for Kyuss Lives Saturday night. Good show. I got a Sword pick from the singer. I do prefer COC though. I wish Pepper would quit Down and get COC back rocking.

Same experience. Saw them with Kyuss Lives and got a pick as well and a poster.

I saw them in Atlanta, GA.....how bout' you?

The vocals were not mixed well and it was hard to hear any of the singers the entire night. Kinda disappointing, but the band sounded great.

They didn't use the same backline though. They had an OR120 and a Laney head that night. Guitars were LP's. I haven't figured out why they switch it up so much. Most bands use the same setup for touring all the time. Every time I've seen the Sword, I've seen different backlines and guitars. I've seen em' live, twice, and countless clips of online shows.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:59 am

Weird thing was he had an lp in the same color as his explorer and ujsed it all through soundcheck, tuned it and had it ready right before the set, then busts out the explorer for the entireity.

Coc? Not even similar imo

They are just grooving, heavy, dungeons and dragons kids. Epic.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:34 am

I saw THE SWORD for new years in Austin last year at the mowhawk

killer show, everyone enjoyed it

singers voice sounds weak and pitchy live, nothing like the recordings, as exhibited in youtube

no one seemed to care though, riffage is killer

also, they use ORANGE ad - singer does
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS