TT Combo vs TT Head and PPC112

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

David Verb
Rocker

TT Combo vs TT Head and PPC112

Post by David Verb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 am

I posted here some time ago, looking for opinions comparing the AD30 and the TT as an alternative amplifier to my RV100. I am studying music at University, rehearsing in a few casual bands and may need a smaller amp from time to time, for small performances and rehearsals.

I settled for looking into the TT. Because of its small footprint, price and portability.

I had the opportunity to plug in a Maton BB1200JH ( :twisted: ) into a TT combo at my nearest music retailer, and I was super impressed with the little beast's clarity and volume.

But I wanted to hear opinions comparing the combo against the head;

Does the 10 inch speaker do it justice? How does it sound with a band?

I am also considering bi-amping into my main cabinet. Just for a bit of guitar "wankery"!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: TT Combo vs TT Head and PPC112

Post by Jondog » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:51 am

If I were going to get a TT Combo, I'd opt for the 12" version. Combo is the way to go if you're looking for an ultra portable all in one set-up and you're happy with the way it sounds. Personally I think you have more options with the head though. With the included gig bag it would be easy enough to carry it over your shoulder and a small 1x12 or 2x10 cab in hand.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm

I started with the TT head + PPC112 and later ended up getting the combo (with the G12H-30). They are not radically different, but I like the combo better. It sounds better at lower volumes to me and is obviously less directional. The TT head can't be beat for portability/flexibility though and the Vintage 30 does sound good with the TT once you crank it up a bit. If you've already got speaker cabs covered, the head should do nicely.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:01 pm

I've toyed with the idea of getting a TT combo and I agree with Randy in that the G12H30 sounds better with the TT. My opinion is that it's the best single speaker with the TT line.

That said, in terms of utility I would always go with the head version because:

1. For practice I can grab my cheap/light 1x10 cab and run out the door.
2. Tubes tend to do better in a head than in a combo in terms of vibration
3. Regardless of what main gig amp I'm using the TT head get's thrown in as my backup. Much easier to carry the head than the combo.
4. I can plug my TT head easily into any of my speaker cabs. Not that it's hard to do with the combo, its' just harder

If you're dying for an Orange cab try a G12H30 and if you like it you might be able to trade someone the V30 in it.

OR

You could get an Avatar 1x12 cab loaded with a G12H30 fresh from the factory.

Good luck.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;