anyone use a SHO/Super Duper with their orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

anyone use a SHO/Super Duper with their orange?

Post by jason41224 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 pm

i know there is, but i want to get some feedback. i'm stuck between a SHO and a Super Duper, i really want one for a number of reasons: first, to drive my clean channel and add a bit of treble-to give it a "more voxy" tone for when i need it (i've been using my Boss EQ for this with some decent results, but i wanna give this a shot). second, as a general solo boost. my first thought is to get the super duper, and use the MV channel for my vox sounds, and the original SHO channel on my dirty channel to add some cut and gain to my solos.

i know firsthand how picky the rocker 30 is with some overdrive pedals, so the second channel (which seems like an overdrive) makes me wary. yet, having two different levels to set for these two purposes would be super (no pun intended).

so, i guess my question is: does your SHO/2in1 react well with your Orange?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Re: anyone use a SHO/Super Duper with their orange?

Post by howdy-doo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 pm

I use an SHO clone that neil made and it's really good, I've ended up just keeping it on all the time, but it does work well for boosting. Not sure how much that helps being I'm using a clone of the pedal, but I'm sure it'd sound similar

edit: oh and I use it with a R30 and TT
Liam

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:29 am

^i would probably get a clone. the T1M one looks really appealing.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:54 am

hands down, check out neil's. i use one with my TT and it works great - mostly to increase the output of my singles when i hit the coil-tap of my humbuckers (levels out the dB), but it works great as a boost too. i have an Oler Box that i absolutely have no complaints about. go to Neil he'll get you set.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:34 am

Neil made me a SHO too i used it last weekend with the TT and its the best boost i've used. I've kinda stopped using distortion pedals altogether. I use the SHO and an LPB-1 with the TT.

LPB-1 is set low for a push on cleaner sounds and then the SHO is set high so it feels like my guitar is on steroids.

Couldnt recommend OLER AUDIO enough to be honest. I might even get another one haha

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

HenningSB

Post by HenningSB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 am

I have a couple of SHO pedals, Vexter Series and custom handpainted.
Best boost I've ever used- the Vexter Series gets tossed around, and gets beat up to hell. But sounds awesome.
I'm currently only using it for boosts on solos, and to thicken singlecoils, works perfectly, best boost I've ever had!

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 pm

I use a BOR on my rv50 and it sounds great, I use it most of the time and I turn it off if I need less gain. TBH though it's not going to make you amp sound voxy. It might add a little sparkle but oranges are so thick in the low mids that voxeyness is not going to be something you get from an SHO.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:39 am

misterMagoo wrote:I use a BOR on my rv50 and it sounds great, I use it most of the time and I turn it off if I need less gain. TBH though it's not going to make you amp sound voxy. It might add a little sparkle but oranges are so thick in the low mids that voxeyness is not going to be something you get from an SHO.
i guess voxy isn't the word i was looking for, just a basic treble boost. like i said earlier, i've been using my Boss GE-7 on my clean channel for this purpose, with a small around the 3-6khz range, and a mediumish volume boost. it helps the amp break up and sound really sparkly. i figure i could accomplish the same thing with an SHO, plus i'll save space and have two different channels to choose from.

and DOH! i completely forgot neil. PM being sent right now :) thanks guys!
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

evansexcellent

Post by evansexcellent » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Use a handpainted BOR with my Rk50mkII and AD30 but I really only use it for the boost side. It's a little different from the SHO but close. I use the rock side for my Flexi sometimes.
Guitars: Gibson LP classic, G&L ASAT special, 83 G&L S500, Fender Mex Strat.
Amps: Orange RK50mkII, Orange AD30htc, THD Flexi 50, Fender Twin Reverb (silverface), Sovtek Mig50(to come)
Cabs: Marshall 425a and Avatar 212 w/v30s

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14 am

Why not just get an Analog Man Beano Boost? It's a pedal sized recreation of the Dallas Rangemaster TREBLE BOOSTER used extensively by Brian May, Marc Bolan, and rumored Eric Clapton (hints the name Beano)

In related matters though, the Super Duper is awesome! Just not voxy, really. Never used a regular SHO, though.
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212