What are your favorite Rockumentaries?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: What are your favorite Rockumentaries?

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:38 am

No one mentioned Dave Grohl's "Sound City" documentaries.

Moon
Tiny Terror

Post by Moon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:59 am

Hubaxe wrote:No one mentioned Dave Grohl's "Sound City" documentaries.
That was awesome! The Stevie Nicks song stuck in my head so much that I bought the accompanying album...and then I liked the album so much that I asked for the DVD of the documentary for my birthday.
If it's TOO loud...you're TOO old!!!

OR15, TH30, PPC212 OB (x2) CR35LDX
- - - - - - - - - - -
Gibson Les Paul Std (2008 & 2013), Fender Telecaster (Highway One & MIM), Epiphone Sheraton
- - - - - - - - - - -
EHX, Boss, MXR and Mooer Effects

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:51 am

I agree, these documentary are really enjoyable.

I loved another "almost" rockumentary: 20 feet from stardom
A great documentary about ladies in the the background. Awesome ladies, awesome singer.

Please have a look at this one if you still haven't !!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jglzn

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:46 pm

Figured I'd give this thread a bump! Even though the documentary is a few years old now, I just watched "Turn it up!: A celebration of the electric guitar" this weekend and it was really good! Also features Johnny A. (I know Billy knows him on a personal level).
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:20 pm

the wrecking crew
standing in the shadows of motown
muscle shoals
the last waltz
1969 Fender Jazz Bass
Former Pics Only OR120 Owner (hope to own one again soon!)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:05 pm

DiabloS wrote:Figured I'd give this thread a bump! Even though the documentary is a few years old now, I just watched "Turn it up!: A celebration of the electric guitar" this weekend and it was really good! Also features Johnny A. (I know Billy knows him on a personal level).
Saw it in the theatre for a special showing when it first came out with JA and his wife! (We played in a band together a looog time ago)

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 am

Is there a chance one day we can see "MC5 true testimonial" ?

shupe13
Tiny Terror

Post by shupe13 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 am

I'm too lazy to go through every page so forgive me if this has been suggested.

I love all things metal and rock. I find life on the road very interesting as I do finding out what makes a band tick. Obviously any music doc junky does too. I bounce around between YouTube and Netflix mostly. But the documentary I found the most interesting and touching is Glen Campbell's I'll Be Me. I'm not going into it, just watch it and let me know what you think.
2015 Gibson LP Studio
2015 Gibson LPM
2015 Gibson LP Junior

Orange Crush CR60 Pro

Orange Amplification - My daily dose of vitamin C!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:54 pm

bclaire wrote:
DiabloS wrote:Figured I'd give this thread a bump! Even though the documentary is a few years old now, I just watched "Turn it up!: A celebration of the electric guitar" this weekend and it was really good! Also features Johnny A. (I know Billy knows him on a personal level).
Saw it in the theatre for a special showing when it first came out with JA and his wife! (We played in a band together a looog time ago)
Very cool! I thought of you as soon as he popped up on the screen. I really enjoyed how they not only covered the history of the electric guitar... but also the player's emotional attachment to it. I've watched it 3 times in the last few days.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 am

Had a week with the flu not so long ago and watched every rockumentary I could find on netflix and places like that.
And there was a few I quite liked.

Austin to Boston - Follows 4 bands, in 5 VW vans on a 3 week tour across the US. Ben Howard, The Staves, Nathaniel Rateliff and Bears Den

Big Star: Nothing can hurt me - A documentary about the 70's band big Star, whom I had never heard of before this, but I've really gotten into their music now. Incredible songs...

Now I need to find somewhere I can stream the movie Big Easy Express... Do you know that film?

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:50 pm

I've seen the 2 others you mentioned, but not Big Easy Express... I might have to check that one out!

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:28 am

Yeah I read somewhere that Austin to boston resembles the Big Easy Express movie, so I suppose I should watch it...

Last night I watched Don't Stop Believing: Everymans Journey... I don't know... I suppose it's somewhat of a fairytale and a bit fun.

onetracker
Rocker

Post by onetracker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Tizzer wrote:Throw Down Your Heart is an awesome documentary. Not rock, but it follows Bela Fleck bringing the banjo back to its roots in Africa. Amazing music and well put together film. Definitely worth watching.
agreed. fabulous documentary. I'm gonna watch it again. saw bela's banjo summit just a few weeks before I saw the movie.
what can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:24 am

Hubaxe wrote:No one mentioned Dave Grohl's "Sound City" documentaries.
I loved that one but I did not like the final mix of the music how it got really loud then quiet again when they would start talking, I think the up and down of the volume was way too much and it was a bit annoying....anyone else feel this way? The content was excellent though
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

BeyondTheSunn

Post by BeyondTheSunn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:15 pm

I recently watched a music documentary on Youtube called 'People Who Do Noise'... And, it's exactly that, people who do noise. Quite bizarre. It left my mind more emptier than it usually is.

I do really like to watch 'Earth - Within The Drone' and I absolutely love 'Such Hawks Such Hounds' which is about the beginnings, and the meaning, of Drone, Sludge, Stoner, Doom genre of music, of which I personally play. It's a bit "out there" so to speak, but I'm really fascinated by those genres. Plus, there's a load of Oranges and Matamps featured in that particular documentary. :)