TH30 enroute

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

samdjr74

TH30 enroute

Post by samdjr74 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi All,

So the other week I was tossing between which Orange fits my needs best and even though I didn't get a chance to play a rockerverb or thunderverb I picked up a used TH30. It should be here tomorrow depending on the hurricain. So here's my questions;

1. I heard a few people mention tube replacement. Did you replace all of the tubes or just the preamp tubes? What tubes seem to be the most musical as well as retain the overdrive?

2. I got the head version so I need a cabinet, most likely a 2x12 but what do you recommened?

3. Do I need to use an Orange foot switch for the channels or will any single button foot switch work?

Thanks,
Sam

bavaro
Orange Hero

Re: TH30 enroute

Post by bavaro » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:35 pm

congratulations! i think you'll love it. i'm super happy with mine, and some new tubes definitely have improved the overall sound, but don't feel like you have to put new ones in there. orange wouldn't ship 'em with shitty tubes. that said, i've got a quad of jj el84's in mine and i'm really satisfied with those, just a great all around set of power tubes.

as far as cabs go, the general consensus is celestion vintage 30's sound best with oranges. and a big, burly cab like orange's ppc's will sound even better. orange has a video of mastodon talking about why they use orange on their youtube channel, and they make the point that orange cabs are made to go with orange heads, so why use any other cab. money's usually not as easy to spend as it is for a big band like mastodon, though, haha. a lot of people on here use avatar cabs and say they are about as good as orange cabs, with the added bonus of picking your own speaker types, and they cost a fair amount less. i just sold my ppc212 open back for a marshall 412 with v30's and i love it, definitely gave me a lot more bass and spread. but i will miss the portability of a 212.

as for the footswitch, i believe any latching footswitch should work.

let us know how you like it!
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Preamp valves will make more of a difference. I replaced mine pretty sharpish. The stock EL84 are probbaly gunna be there a while, shuguangs EL84 arent too terrible.

^Orange deffinately shipped mine with shitty valves, most of them where no namers, and more shuguangs. Kinda lame since they ship the UK made stuff with JJs.

I have the ppc112 with mine. I wish i saved a bit more for the 212OB. Id really like to hear it with a G12h30 and V30 combination. And an open back for more d00m.

I made my own footswitch for next to nothing, works fine.
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 am

i'd say you replace all the valves, but if you want to affect the core tone of the amp, preamp is the way to go. i'd still get some higher quality EL84s though.

i have an avatar with my Orange, and i like it, but it just doesn't compare to a PPC212. it sounds so much fuller than my avatar.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:22 am

Ive tried various pre Amp tubes and prefer EHX very musical for both clean and OD
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

addisj
Tiny Terror

Post by addisj » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm

samdjr74 wrote:Hi All,

So the other week I was tossing between which Orange fits my needs best and even though I didn't get a chance to play a rockerverb or thunderverb I picked up a used TH30. It should be here tomorrow depending on the hurricain. So here's my questions;

1. I heard a few people mention tube replacement. Did you replace all of the tubes or just the preamp tubes? What tubes seem to be the most musical as well as retain the overdrive?

2. I got the head version so I need a cabinet, most likely a 2x12 but what do you recommened?

3. Do I need to use an Orange foot switch for the channels or will any single button foot switch work?

Thanks,
Sam
Well it's about time Sam!
Congrats, bet you will love it. Try a few different pre amp valves. I love my Tung sol in the clean 12AX7 and PI. The JJ's in the other slots haven't really made a difference to the chinky ones.
JJ EL84's are lovely. big improvement to the no name standard ones (IMHO)
Dont forget to buy an EQ pedal (I use a 6 band MXR) if you dont already have one - I just couldn't use mine with out one. Seriously..

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:15 pm

addisj wrote: Well it's about time Sam!
Congrats, bet you will love it. Try a few different pre amp valves. I love my Tung sol in the clean 12AX7 and PI. The JJ's in the other slots haven't really made a difference to the chinky ones.
Dont forget to buy an EQ pedal (I use a 6 band MXR) if you dont already have one - I just couldn't use mine with out one. Seriously..
hey addisj, do you put your eq in the loop or out front? and whatre your settings? i've been thinking about picking one up.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Hurricanes have negative effects on amplifiers

samdjr74

Post by samdjr74 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:52 pm

So the TH30 came in today and I'm loving it. The stock tubes aren't half bad but I swapped them with a set of EH's just to see the difference. The overdirve is pulled back a little with the new tubes but still there. I'm running it through a 2x12 closed back cabinet right now. I'll have to see what it sounds like through an open back cabinet before I purchase one. Other then that the amp is great!!!!

addisj
Tiny Terror

Post by addisj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:34 am

bavaro wrote:
addisj wrote: Well it's about time Sam!
hey addisj, do you put your eq in the loop or out front? and whatre your settings? i've been thinking about picking one up.
I have mine straight through the front - Guitar - MXR - Wah - Tuner - Amp
Everything else goes through the loop.
I have the mids way up, especially high mids. Brings the amp to life.