Newby

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

starling1
Rocker

Newby

Post by starling1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:54 pm

hello, new member here.

So I've had an orange tiny terror for about 4 months or so now, but only recently bought a cab for it (just 1x12 in black) which should arrive in a week or so, hopefully. Really looking forward to playing it. First valve amp I've ever owned....TBH I'm a bit worried about killing it. I've heard their are correct and incorrect ways to power them them up and down, things to do and not to do etc. Any tips would be appreciated. Sorry for being such a noob, but well there you go.

I write/play mainly post-rock/ambient stuff (Post-blues, if such a thing exists lol) and that's mainly what I'm interested in. I play an Ibanez LTD les Paul, which is ok, thought it still has the factory pickups which are fairly messy. Next upgrade will be to a duncan hotrod set, which really impressed me when I played this on a friend's rig.

I really want to to investigate recording. This is something I am clueless about (as in how to do it) and I don't consider myself tech savy. I just figured out how to use lead pencils lol so yeah, any feedback on where I should begin would be a big help, too.

cheers

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Re: Newby

Post by the_blue_bomber » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 am

Hi.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:27 am

as far as the terror's concerned, make sure to match the impedance when plugging in a cab... with the ppc112, its a 16 ohm cab, so plug it in the 16 ohm output.

when doing this, use a speaker lead (these are different from standard instrument cable)

also, dont power it up without a cab connected. valve amps need to see a load on the speaker output or you run the risk of breaking them.

to turn it on, flip the on switch, then wait 2 minutes before takeing it off standby. after 2 minutes flip the standby switch to either 7 or 15 watts.

then you're good to go!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:39 am

Welcome to the Forum. If the cab is a PPC-112 (16 ohms), just plug it into the 16-ohm output on the back of the Tiny Terror and one of your parents' siblings will bear the name Robert. Make sure to connect the amp to the speaker cab with a speaker cable (unshielded) rather than an instrument cable (shielded). Always make sure the cab is plugged into the amp correctly before you turn it on. Then, allow the amp to warm up for a couple of minutes in Standby mode before you begin playing. Finally, crank it up and play whatever you want*.

*Disclaimer: Playing Nickelback through your Orange amp may void your warranty. Please visit http://www.orangeamps.com/Canadians" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the complete list of excluded artists.

Edit - mr william has made me look like a plagiarist :lol: !

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:04 am

you say that, but i dont have the awesome command of the english language that you do!... specifically the bobs your uncle comment! :D
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:46 am

yes to the things said above. i just want to add that when you turn your amp on at first, turn the power switch on but leave the second switch on "standby" for about a minute or so. this will give the tubes an adequate time to warm up before getting hammered by current. while not doing so won't kill your amp, if you make a good practice of this your tube life will be extended quite a bit and you won't have to worry about inconvenient tube failures in the middle of a gig as much.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:10 am

Ok first disconnect the cab. Secondly turn all the knobs, especially the master to 10. Then flick the power switch rapidly from off to on....you want to remove the standby switch from the equation. Hope that helps.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 am

Wendigo wrote:Ok first disconnect the cab. Secondly turn all the knobs, especially the master to 10. Then flick the power switch rapidly from off to on....you want to remove the standby switch from the equation. Hope that helps.
Also, the input jack is for speaker inputs and the rear jacks are for instrument input to go to the speakers, so you'll want to plug your guitar into one of those. 16 ohm if you play with humbuckers, 8 ohm for single coils.

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:25 pm

:twisted: haaaaahaahaa, you guys are soooo mean!

Welcome to the forum BTW :D
Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, 1997 AS Fender Tele, 1968 Framus BL15.

Wienbrock ME-3pro Orange DT, Blackheart BH100, Custom 2x12 VC30, Custom 2x12 CL80
Some other stuff & a large vodka.

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks for all the speedy replies ( the legitimate ones lol).
Wendigo wrote:Ok first disconnect the cab. Secondly turn all the knobs, especially the master to 10. Then flick the power switch rapidly from off to on....you want to remove the standby switch from the equation. Hope that helps.
Does it help if I do this with the entire setup submerged in say an above ground swimming pool, or should I wait until the next severe electrical storm?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 am

why wait for an electrical storm when you can create your own?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 am

I'm pretty sure they call them toaster amps because they're the most fun to play with while in a bathtub.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 pm

My Tiny Terror sounds way better hooked up to a couple of car batteries than plugged into the wall for some reason. I can't recommend it enough.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:44 am

Sometimes I use the led light as a strobe!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Starling1,

If you stick around here long enough, you'll have as much knowledge as these jokers. :lol:

Welcome to the forum! 8)
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!