JCM 2000

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jim_Cross
Orange Expert

Post by Jim_Cross » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:37 pm

Haven't Fender got a 500w tube amp now, aimed at Metal Heads?
Firstly, at what point was a 100w Twin not quite loud enough? And secondly, if they can make a drive channel good enough for a metal amp, why can't they make one good enough for rock?!

Surely cranking 500w or real valve power would mean you could play an arena without miking the amp up. Which would be....pointles....and your band mates would love you for drowning out the monitors...

To me that's kind of like Ferrari bringing out a car with 5000 bhp. "But Mr. Di Montizemalo, every time I breath on the throttle, I get wheelspin"..."yes, but it's got 5000 bhp"...."ok, but I can only use 800bhp of that - the rest is just wasted"...."yes, but it's got 5000 bhp!"

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:51 pm

I have an Orange RV100, and I have my Marshall TSL 100.

I think the Orange suits me more than my TSL at this point - at home I debate why I still have my TSL...but I get that amp in a band context, and my TSL sounds AMAZING. I'm sure my Orange would too...

My Marshall is what I'll take with me to gigs and make money with, while my Orange is what takes me to self-gratification.

There's nothing wrong with the TSL 100 - lots of people complain about how bad they sound and **** like that. The problem is that it's VERY picky about what you have in front of it, what you have in it, and what you have it going into. TSL + JJ in V1, China's in V2 and V3, Ruby EL34BSTR in the power section, biased to 40mA, Gibson Les Paul, and Marshall 1960A reloaded with G12H-30's - AMAZING tones.

Sounds like **** at home though.

he was spit on
Rocker

Post by he was spit on » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:47 pm

i really dont like the jcm2000. you can tell that marshalls are steadily going downhill in sound quality. Eventhough most marshalls sound very similar to me, i really find that the jcm 800 is the best of the jcm. the 2000 sounds like a way crappier version of the jcm900. a jcm800 can always live with me though.

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:19 am

I was at GC last week and they had a Mode 4 stack and it was like 7 foot tall.[:p] I'm 6'2" and the damn control panel was 6 inches above eye level? WTF???

Chris

vinyl
Tiny Terror

Post by vinyl » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:30 am

Personally I don't care for JCM 800's. I played one and I had to put my best effort to make it sound appealing. I don't see what the facination with these amps is other than <b>who</b> has used them. I think both the DSL and TSL amps are fine amps capable of great tone. I'm sorry but if someone says that an amp sounds like total crap no matter what, then the problem isn't the amp. And thats the truth. You would be crazy to say that any of the great guitarists in the world would sound like crap on certain amps and sound amazing on others. Thats not how tone works. Sorry for the rant but IMO any amp sounds as good as the person playing it.

peatywheatgrass
Tiny Terror

Post by peatywheatgrass » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:57 am

2000 is just too high of a number for me.
"You look more like Louis"

Mofmog
Tiny Terror

Post by Mofmog » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:16 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinyl</i>
<br />Personally I don't care for JCM 800's. I played one and I had to put my best effort to make it sound appealing. I don't see what the facination with these amps is other than <b>who</b> has used them. I think both the DSL and TSL amps are fine amps capable of great tone. I'm sorry but if someone says that an amp sounds like total crap no matter what, then the problem isn't the amp. And thats the truth. You would be crazy to say that any of the great guitarists in the world would sound like crap on certain amps and sound amazing on others. Thats not how tone works. Sorry for the rant but IMO any amp sounds as good as the person playing it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The problem with JCM 800's is that one can be a totally different amp fom the other. Unless the JCM 800 is a 2203 or 2204, it's not the "classic" JCM 800 everyone thinks of. Watch out for later JCM 800 models, they tend to not sound as good. In fact, some SLPs were made in JCM 800 form, so you never really know. Basically, JCM 800 is more of a configuration than a real amp name.

Also, a great guitarist can make a ****ty amp sound good, but a great guitarist can make an awsome amp sound like God. That's what people mean. Yes, Brian May can rip on a Gorilla, but through his wall of Vox AC-30s he is truly something else.

I would also like to mention that JCM2000 are on the down end on the Marshall legacy. To be honest, I believe the last good Marshall amp invented was the Silver Jubilee, while the apogee was the 100 watt SLP :)

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">any amp sounds as good as the person playing it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Agreed of course, but Mofmog is also correct. If the amp sounds better, then the tone will sound better also. Skill is one half of the story.

I wouldn't say the various JCMs discussed are rubbish: I can get useable tones from them, although a bit fizzy, just when I line them up against my AD30, I much prefer the sound I get from that. End of story, as far as amp selection is concerned for me!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

JeffreyC

Post by JeffreyC » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:54 pm

I owned a JCM2000 DSL 100 with Marshall 1960A cab - greenbacks for about 30 days. Before that I had tried a JCM2000 TSL 60 watt combo. I took them both back to GC before the 30 days was up because I was always finding myself tweaking knobs to get a good tone. I just couldn't find it. I don't think they are terrible amps, just not very good. I then broke down a bought an Orange RV 50 head and run that through an Avatar 4X12 with G1230's. Although I eventually plan to get an Orange cab, I love my new rig compared to the Marshalls. I think maybe the handwired models might be worth a try, but I'm more than happy with the Orange. For the money, it's an excellent amp and it's the opposite of the Marshall as it's actually difficult to dial in a bad sound/tone!
Orange Rockerverb 50; Reeves Studio/Stage MKII; 78 Les Paul Pro Dlx; Eastwood Airline Dlx; Martin D35; Fender American Dlx Strat HSS LT; 92 Mexican Strat; 94 America Strat; Keeley effects

scott757

Post by scott757 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ECWeagles</i>
<br />I had a JCM 2000 401 as my first valve amp. It went in favour of my AD30TC.

For my money (and it was!) the AD30 beats Marshall hands down in all respects.

1) Controls much better
2) Far more responsive
3) Much more character to the tone
4) And most importantly IT DOES NOT COOK ITSELF ON ME WHEN PLAYING LIVE MEANING I DONT HAVE TO GET IT SERVICED AFTER A GIG!

I shall be fair sometimes the drive channel was ok, and the boost function was good, but I found it very inconsistent, turn on one day, sounds dead, next day ok.

i've never had this expirience. had it for over a year. sounds the same whenever i turn it one. it's very easy to find a tone that i like.

i've also found that the dsl 100 is the only model that i like. the studio that i work at has not had any problems with theirs either. my friend evan had one he had no problems. he sold it to luke. luke loves it and has no problems with it. sounds like you guys are sharing teh same bad amp. because i havn't had any of these problems with it.

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:51 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by scott757</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ECWeagles</i>
<br />I had a JCM 2000 401 as my first valve amp. It went in favour of my AD30TC.

For my money (and it was!) the AD30 beats Marshall hands down in all respects.

1) Controls much better
2) Far more responsive
3) Much more character to the tone
4) And most importantly IT DOES NOT COOK ITSELF ON ME WHEN PLAYING LIVE MEANING I DONT HAVE TO GET IT SERVICED AFTER A GIG!

I shall be fair sometimes the drive channel was ok, and the boost function was good, but I found it very inconsistent, turn on one day, sounds dead, next day ok.

i've never had this expirience. had it for over a year. sounds the same whenever i turn it one. it's very easy to find a tone that i like.

i've also found that the dsl 100 is the only model that i like. the studio that i work at has not had any problems with theirs either. my friend evan had one he had no problems. he sold it to luke. luke loves it and has no problems with it. sounds like you guys are sharing teh same bad amp. because i havn't had any of these problems with it.

Seriously though -- I mean this is an Orange forum (like you said in your fisrt post) so odds are this is a pretty good cross-section of the responses your going to get about a Marshall.:) Sorry.:oops:

Honestly there's a reason a lot of us bought Orange's instead...and a lot of us probably went through Marshalls or tried them out before we went with what we did.;)

I myslef am interested in the handwired stuff -- although I'll have to sell both Kidneys to get anything like that.:mrgreen:

Chris

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:22 pm

So, sell two kidneys, you can get by on one.
[:p]
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ECWeagles</i>
<br />So, sell two kidneys, you can get by on one.

So, how many kidneys does Chris have? Three?

-C

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:26 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CTC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ECWeagles</i>
<br />So, sell two kidneys, you can get by on one.

So, how many kidneys does Chris have? Three?

-C

Fortunately I was born with 8 -- but two went toward my Mustang, two toward my Orange, and 2 towards my lawn tractor. I'm saving the last two for an emergency.;)

Chris

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:40 pm

Sweet deal. Don't you mean ten though? I think you said in the past that two went to your ex-girlfriend? Or was that two of something else? [:p]

-C