I tried a Dark Terror and Fender Pawn Shop Mustang today

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Dave666
Orange Hero

I tried a Dark Terror and Fender Pawn Shop Mustang today

Post by Dave666 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 am

It was a while since I entered a guitar store, so I took a daytrip to one of the largest in my area, hang around, drooling over guitars and amps and all that stuff, you know.
So I saw a Dark Terror in the amp room, I freaked out and had to plug in.
I grabbed a Fender pawn shop mustang and took it for a ride.
Well, was I disappointed. The Dark terror sounded way too sterile for an Orange amp. A friend who was with me, said the same thing, it was like the gain structure was not from an Orange amp, a bit to fizzy, I guess.
Or maybe it was the guitar that sucked. I only tried that one and then left the store. But for a guitar that was priced a grand, I also expected more. My Tiny Terror sounds much more organic (orangic) and a little fatter sounding.
Anyone had the same experience?
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Re: I tried a Dark Terror and Fender Pawn Shop Mustang today

Post by sizzlingbadger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:39 pm

I tested a TH30 1x12 combo a few weeks back and it was very fizzy, not nice at all. I also tried a Dual terror through a 4x12 Genz Benz cab (not my choice it was just there) and it was quite sterile sounding. Then I tried a Vox AC30 and it was beautiful. I ended up with my Rockerverb 50 MKII after a few more visits to music shops, it just did everything so well I decided to pay the extra as it was out of my original budget plans :oops:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Dave666 wrote:It was a while since I entered a guitar store, so I took a daytrip to one of the largest in my area, hang around, drooling over guitars and amps and all that stuff, you know.
So I saw a Dark Terror in the amp room, I freaked out and had to plug in.
I grabbed a Fender pawn shop mustang and took it for a ride.
Well, was I disappointed. The Dark terror sounded way too sterile for an Orange amp. A friend who was with me, said the same thing, it was like the gain structure was not from an Orange amp, a bit to fizzy, I guess.
Or maybe it was the guitar that sucked. I only tried that one and then left the store. But for a guitar that was priced a grand, I also expected more. My Tiny Terror sounds much more organic (orangic) and a little fatter sounding.
Anyone had the same experience?
That's what I sensed when I listened to the Dark Terror video. Guitar wouldn't do that, I'd think. I didn't like the TH30 gain channel that much, it was OK, but didn't get along with it. Thats how I ended up with the RV50mkll. I bought it right around the time they discontinued the Rocker 30. There was one there when I got the TH30, but was gone when I made the trade, otherwise it was mine, can't complain with the RV though, awesome amp. I hope this doesn't become the new Orange sound.

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Jondog wrote:That's what I sensed when I listened to the Dark Terror video. Guitar wouldn't do that, I'd think. I didn't like the TH30 gain channel that much, it was OK, but didn't get along with it. Thats how I ended up with the RV50mkll. I bought it right around the time they discontinued the Rocker 30. There was one there when I got the TH30, but was gone when I made the trade, otherwise it was mine, can't complain with the RV though, awesome amp. I hope this doesn't become the new Orange sound.
Indeed, lets hope it doesn't become the new Orange sound, but I'm pretty confident in the fact that this is Orange's quest for reaching a bigger audience.
They still have the more organic amps in their catalog, admit that the Rockerverb and Thunderverb are pretty good amps

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:06 am

How was the fender?

The TH30 is a bit too fizzy with the shape knob to the right. I imagine the same applies to the DT.

It could really do with a proper EQ.
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:00 am

i played the Pawn Shop Mustang a while ago through an AC15. i was pretty impressed, actually. the only weak point was the pickups, and i'm not sure what replacement pups you could throw in there that would work with the cool coil splitting system. but if i could throw some seymour's in there, it'd be the bees knees.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:35 am

jason41224 wrote:i played the Pawn Shop Mustang a while ago through an AC15. i was pretty impressed, actually. the only weak point was the pickups, and i'm not sure what replacement pups you could throw in there that would work with the cool coil splitting system. but if i could throw some seymour's in there, it'd be the bees knees.
+1
+ I loved playing the short scale, bending the strings was a real joy!! :D
She has so many tonal option, you can spend the night with it and not even know what colour underwear she's wearing...
But next time I should plug her into a nice amp like a AD30 or something, I think the guitar would come to life then.
But that said, if I was buying one, I get rid of all the split selectors, put a Dimarzio SuperDistortion in the bridge and play death metal with it :twisted: :twisted:

beckyjc
Tiny Terror

Post by beckyjc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:42 pm

Any humbucker with 4 wires you can coilsplit.

I think id rather some singles in the mustang, or maybe P90s, I havent tried them yet though.
Twit | ElementFX

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC112

Jackson Dinky, Fender CIJ 62 RI Jag, Fender 92 MIM Standard Tele, Fender MIM '04 Stratocaster
+Too many pedals

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Can the dkt do tiny terror type sounds on lower gain? Sort of acdc styled crunch?
How would you say for hairmetal people? Any van halen type tones available?
Tone is everything

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 am

Mrjones2004x wrote:Can the dkt do tiny terror type sounds on lower gain? Sort of acdc styled crunch?
How would you say for hairmetal people? Any van halen type tones available?
For those styles I would still opt for a Tiny Terror. It just sounds a little fatter than the Dark terror. If you have the chance to try one out, do it, and see for yourself which one you like better. I think the difference between the Shape knob and the Tone control on both work very different. I don't like scooped sounds at all, but the Shape knob turned to left on the Dark terror didn't give me that thick type of gain I was looking for.