Advice query: Two 1x12's on either side of my head?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bluebeard

Advice query: Two 1x12's on either side of my head?

Post by Bluebeard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:37 am

Been playing though a TT combo for about two years now; it's my only amp (worth mentioning). Add to that an OR50H on layaway!! It's gonna be a minute till I own it, months probably, cash is low.
Preparing for the new amp head, I'm entertaining the following:

Pick up an Avatar 1x12 w/ Cel Gold or something, and run the OR50 with this, using my TT as an extension cab when/ if I need tonal variety from two speakers.
OR...
Just bite it and pick up a 2x12, maybe with a Gold + another G12h30 (one's in the TT).

I push my amps hard enough that it warrants me to prefer the lower volume option when available (for ear's sake). Volume is not the issue, it's Tone. If it matters I play as a solo guitarist, blending lots of rhythm and lead styles.

So is it crazy to run such an amp through a single speaker?
Or is this just promising mush?

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Re: Advice query: Two 1x12's on either side of my head?

Post by tony_clifton » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:40 am

I'd go 212 for practical reasons. And because it will look better. Probably sound better too.

As for mixing, can't comment on alnico's but I know V30s cut like a knife trough butter. You want that because you need less volume to be heard.

As for lower volume: there won't be a significant difference. Use a little more preamp gain and a little less master volume or use an attenuator to knock off a few db. No shame in that and neither of those options will choke the amp to death I think.
I play bass.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:14 pm

I think you would look a bit silly with two 1x12s on either side of your head, and your shoulders would get tired as well :lol: .

I would recommend a 2x12 (minimum) for the OR50, preferably with G12H-30 (70th) speakers. The OR50 is not as dynamic as the Rocker 30, for example, so it helps to have multiple speakers to get a fuller sound.

Bluebeard

Post by Bluebeard » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I think you would look a bit silly with two 1x12s on either side of your head, and your shoulders would get tired as well :lol: .
Lol never take me too seriously.
tony_clifton wrote:I'd go 212 for practical reasons. And because it will look better. Probably sound better too.

As for mixing, can't comment on alnico's but I know V30s cut like a knife trough butter. You want that because you need less volume to be heard.

As for lower volume: there won't be a significant difference. Use a little more preamp gain and a little less master volume or use an attenuator to knock off a few db. No shame in that and neither of those options will choke the amp to death I think.
Thanks Guys that's exactly what I needed to hear I'll be going with a 2x12 as it seems to be far and away the best choice, speaker selections when I get the amp but most likely 1x G12H-30 and 1x V30.

Danke!!