Thinking About Getting a Class 5

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: Thinking About Getting a Class 5

Post by Neiloler » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:59 pm

It sounds like this dude is compensating for lack of knowledge with overabundance of opinion. You tell him to take a chill pill. He can e-mail me and I'll debunk his flawed, one-statement-covers-everything logic like "all combo amps are terrible and rattle apart" stuff. Yeah. I guess Leo Fender or Jim Marshall really sucked it up, that's why their amp companies, which started off making combo amps, never got off the ground. Psh. ;)

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:48 pm

nguideau wrote:Combo amps are more prone to having microphonic tubes because of the vibrations of the full cabinet and chassis. When you have a head separate from the cab, the tubes are in a separate chassis and have a set of rubber feet between them helping to absorb some of the vibrations.
That makes sense to me.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

cheacher
Rocker

Post by cheacher » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm

i really hope this know-it-all gets a mention in "this week in orange"! (hint hint)

Citrus Monolith

Post by Citrus Monolith » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:53 am

Had one, got it brand new after they had supposedly fixed the awful rattle. They didn't. It looked nice at least.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

:?

Screw that dude, why are you putting up with his stupid comments... He obviously is really close-minded with a my-way-highway attitude.

addisj
Tiny Terror

Post by addisj » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 am

savage8190 wrote:
addisj wrote:My Class 5 has had the RAT treatment and its seriously good... for blues and classic rock. Modern rock... not so much. got my TH30 for that.

Not a rattle to be heard now too btw.

I got the following done;

1. - 'OPR' - Output Power Reduction. Yep - Real marshall distortion at bedroom levels.

2. - Variable Boost Footswitch - Switches the Boost Circuit On-or-Off with Variable Boost Control, RED LED Indicator - Metal Construction with 12 Foot Lead.

3. - Master Volume Control - Allows Preamp Overdrive -or- Power Amp Overdrive -or- Both.

4. - 3x Preamp 'Bias' and 'Gain' Switches.

5. - Modified Tone Stack - Allows each Frequency to sweep from 'Zero-to-Max'. A switch can be added to the Front Panel to select between Stock/Modified.

6. - Series FX Loop - 'Send' and 'Return'. The 'Send' Socket can also be used as a PREAMP 'Line Out' and the 'Return' Socket can be used for Direct Access to the Valve Power Amp (For External Preamps -or- Multi-Effects Processors).

7. - Dedicated 'Line Out' Socket - Speaker Emulated (Open Back Cab) taken from the Output Transformer - Active in both 'Speaker' and ' Headphone' Mode.

9. - Tri-Rectifier System - Uses a 3 Position Switch to Select 'Silicon', 'Valve 1' or 'Valve 2' Operation.

10. - Standby Switch - Fitted only on Amps without Reverb.
With all the good amps out there that seems like an awful lot to get something usable...
My personal favorite tone ever is from the GNR Night train recording. I get that and more from my C5 and at all volumes! its incredible. Feedback the lot.
Its such an organic sounding amp, pure soul when playing blues.

Not that I am all about that sound, in fact everything I play in my band is modern and I need tight high gain and also bright cleans (TH30)
The C5 I use to jam along to my all time 80's/90's favorites and play blues. Once I power it on its very hard for me to switch it back off.

So I would say 'usable' is a huge understatement :D

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:42 am

Dont mind that foooooool of a fellah tellin you what you have to use or not use thats a load of b*ll*x mate. You every hear BB king say " you gotta use delay to play lead?" nope cos BB probably dont know what delay is! A lot of people just rock up to their amps plug in and go. Your friend is obvioulsy a musician of note. I wouldnt give him the time of day to be honest.

with regard to your setup do what Irish Admiral did and get a pod for yourself plug it into the PA and work away. Totally portable, usable tones and easy to setup and use.

if you want a small tube amp for it i'd second the suggestion of a blues jnr.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:07 pm

What kind of amp does that guy play? And why are you letting him decide what you need?

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm struggling to understand why up put up with this guy - he sounds like a conceited control freak who loves to hear the sound of his own voice
I guess I put up with because he can kick me out of the band. Id much rather play in the band than sit in the audience every week for a whole school year. I guess I like playing guitar in front of people too much.
Jondog wrote:What kind of amp does that guy play? And why are you letting him decide what you need?
I have no idea what amps he owns. He probably plays his own most of the time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even play guitar that much, just to test out amps. He says he has a Rocker 30 and that it's "OK". The funny thing is he doesn't care about guitars very much. I could walk in with a First Act guitar and he would probably only care about the amp and effects I have.
He is a nice guy though. He is usually not rude.

Back to the amps. Hopefully I can make it to guitar center this weekend to test out the Class 5 and Blues Jr. and any other amp that might work. I'm leaning
toward getting the class 5 because I like the Marshall sound over Fender's sound.
The non master volume isnt too much of a problem, because most of his amps have just volume and tone controls.
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Get a Blues Junior and, if Mr. Awesome doesn't like it, tell him his car looks gay.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Captain Wedge wrote:
Ronnie Robinson wrote:I'm struggling to understand why up put up with this guy - he sounds like a conceited control freak who loves to hear the sound of his own voice
I guess I put up with because he can kick me out of the band. Id much rather play in the band than sit in the audience every week for a whole school year. I guess I like playing guitar in front of people too much.
Jondog wrote:What kind of amp does that guy play? And why are you letting him decide what you need?
I have no idea what amps he owns. He probably plays his own most of the time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even play guitar that much, just to test out amps. He says he has a Rocker 30 and that it's "OK". The funny thing is he doesn't care about guitars very much. I could walk in with a First Act guitar and he would probably only care about the amp and effects I have.
He is a nice guy though. He is usually not rude.

Back to the amps. Hopefully I can make it to guitar center this weekend to test out the Class 5 and Blues Jr. and any other amp that might work. I'm leaning
toward getting the class 5 because I like the Marshall sound over Fender's sound.
The non master volume isnt too much of a problem, because most of his amps have just volume and tone controls.
Are you in a band with Axl Rose? I heard he told Slash to play an Sears custom and a Line 6 spider II and now Slash won't play with him until he apologizes.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Might want to just get a Dumble.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Randy Bass wrote:Get a Blues Junior and, if Mr. Awesome doesn't like it, tell him his car looks gay.
I laughed out loud. :lol:

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:57 pm

thinkin outside the box...

ive got one of these, and it made my rig more portable. u can throw a 1x12, head and a guitar on it.. and it takes all the carrying out of the equation.

also you could pick it up hit your 'little hitler' mate over the head with it!...

we need some more info on this guy... how old is he? surely school kids dont know that much about 'expensive amps'...

what amp does he play? what delay pedal has he got?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 pm

I have the latest version of the Class 5 combo (low power mode) and in spite of some of the previous comments I find it very useful and gig worthy. I will agree that on it's own it is average sounding at times but I plug a treble booster (65amps colour boost) in front of my Class 5 an the tone is simply stunning plus if I now roll back my volume control on my PRS Custom 22 the sound cleans up quite nicely for non-distorted chords. I've taken the amp out on club gigs and put a Sennhiser e609 in front of the 10" speaker and it sounds like your playing a Bluesbreaker combo. The Dallas rangemaster type pedals really make a difference with these amps, you need to try it before you write them off.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22