FYI Squier Classic Vibe 50's neck

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

FYI Squier Classic Vibe 50's neck

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 am

QUARTERSAWN MAPLE!! The neck on my EJ strat is probably the biggest tone factor in that guitar and it's quartersawn maple as opposed to the common flatsawn in most guitars. I've been searching for a quartersawn strat neck to use in a build but can only find custom builds that are going to run me up to $300+. discovered these squiers use a quartersawn and have gotten great reviews regarding the fretwork. Just picked one up off the ebay for $150. Pretty darn happy bout that! People have given those classic vibes guitars good reviews too, the strat is a 2 piece alder just lIke my EJ is. Be a good bade to mod off of.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: FYI Squier Classic Vibe 50's neck

Post by a.hun » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 am

Yep, the CV Squiers are very good indeed. My blonde Tele is still hardly ever out of my hands. These aren't just cheap guitars / basses, they are (still) genuinely very good ones. I'd advise anyone to try them out before Fender / Squier realise they are way too good for the money and things change for the worse.

FWIW mine has some nice flaming on the neck. Not why I bought it, but doesn't hurt any. 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Citrus Monolith

Post by Citrus Monolith » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:33 am

Hey, I'm really thinking about getting an Eric Johnson strat. How do you like it? Or do you think I should just get a classic vibe?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Citrus Monolith wrote:Hey, I'm really thinking about getting an Eric Johnson strat. How do you like it? Or do you think I should just get a classic vibe?
The EJ Strat is very unique and to be honest it's the best strat I've ever played, it was built for me as far as I'm concerned. I love the neck on it, I was going to order a duplicate from warmoth but found this CV neck that I may just modify down the line. The EJ has a comfortable soft V quartersawn neck that transitions to a C, medium jumbo frets as opposed to the jumbo size normally used and a 12" radius which I find more comfortable then the 9.5 or 7.5 normally used on fenders. Also the b & e strings have shorter tuning posts eliminating the need for a string tree. Body is 2 peice alder just like the CV and is built to 50's spec. Custom wiring and wound pickups that I just love! Finished in a thin Nitro finish that some say lets the guitar wood resonate better. I've always been a strat fan and I just happen to pick the EJ up one night at the store not knowing what is was and it sounded so different then the rest on the rack, more natural sustain and pronounciation to it, plus more comfortable for me to play. I didn't even know it was an EJ because the only marking on it to signify it's an EJ is the neck plate which just has his initials and a little graphic. I know what to look for on it now. I can't put the EJ and the Squier CV in the same class for all those reasons. It's comparing a $2000 guitar to a $300 guitar. The wood is about the only real similarity. However, I would definitely take the Squier CV50 over a Mexican and to be honest an American strat too. Swap out the cheap electronics and it would be a very nice guitar. The quartersawn neck creates nice sustain in a guitar because it's more rigid. Imagine taking a 5 or 6 wooden rulers, hold them flat and bend them all, not too hard. Then try to bend them on their edges, thats like a quartersawn.

Citrus Monolith

Post by Citrus Monolith » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah, I really want a nitro finish, if only to have a guitar that will age and "relic" naturally. But it's hard not to consider going the cheap route when everyone is talking so highly of the squiers.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:04 pm

I should also mention that some people have said their CV50 does not have a Qsawn neck, the ones I've seen have so far. It's not written in the specs unlike the EJ where it is a defining part of the model, but I guess it's possible they don't always have Qsawn available to use on the CV'sso you really have to look before you buy.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 pm

$150! That's a steal of a deal for a CV50 strat. Please post some pictures so I can hate you a little bit. ;)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Neiloler wrote:$150! That's a steal of a deal for a CV50 strat. Please post some pictures so I can hate you a little bit. ;)
Just the neck, so I don't know if it's a steal, but it's pretty cheap for a finished neck of good quality