OT: OS X Lion

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jackincaves
Rocker

OT: OS X Lion

Post by jackincaves » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Anyone else using this yet? First impressions?

So far I'm really liking it; my only gripe is that you can't use the full screen apps on another monitor. This normally won't matter but it means I can't have a film playing in Quicktime on the 2nd monitor while doing other things on the main screen.
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

Tango
Orange Master

Re: OT: OS X Lion

Post by Tango » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:59 pm

Oooo, forgot about that. Will be using it asap!
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Uh, it's not out yet, AFAIK. Unless you're a developer or thief, right?
Greg

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:Uh, it's not out yet, AFAIK. Unless you're a developer or thief, right?
Yeh it's not out for another week or so but the Gold Master was released a couple of days ago, which is basically the final version.

Technically I'm a thief but seeing as I will pay for it when it's released anyway, I'm not too fussed. I'm just impatient!
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:51 pm

I'm hesitant right now because I just got an Apogee Duet 2 and I'm getting mixed responses on the internet about whether or not it will work right away. Once I get confirmation, I will upgrade immediately!

What I'm more excited about is iOS 5 because I just got an iPhone and I've been dying for the simple little features that are going to make my life so much easier and make me miss my blackberry so much less.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm gonna wait til it's officially released to the masses, I'll then give it a month or two for the major kinks and bugs to be fixed, and then I'll get it.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:59 pm

ScottyDanger wrote: What I'm more excited about is iOS 5 because I just got an iPhone and I've been dying for the simple little features that are going to make my life so much easier and make me miss my blackberry so much less.
I heard they're not releasing a "5", it'll be more like a "4.5".
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:11 pm

nope. iOS 5 comes out in the fall =)

super stoked

and, to stay on topic, I will also be getting Lion on launch day

Citrus Monolith

Post by Citrus Monolith » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm waiting until it actually comes out.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm waiting to upgrade my hardware and OS at the same time when OS X Liger comes out :oops: .

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:10 am

I myself look forward to getting and using the new OS when its ready for download. Hooray Mac!
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 am

ScottyDanger wrote:What I'm more excited about is iOS 5 because I just got an iPhone and I've been dying for the simple little features that are going to make my life so much easier and make me miss my blackberry so much less.

That caused me to go research a bit. Now with iphone having iOS5 there is a chance I might go Iphone when my contract comes up for renewal next summer. That is if Blackberry don't pick up its sock and give me a QNX enabled Torch with all the fun of Android in the features that iOS keeps trying to play catchup too BB. I had a 3GS and a 4...but both failed me miserably and made me miss my BB within the month. Just not powerful enough communication tool for my job.

With each iOS release they keep identifying my biggest gripes!

copy and past - done
double tap space for period - done
custom ring tones - done (but not as full featured as BB where you can link a ringer to each individual event, including 3ed party apps)
multi user sms - done
push email - kinda done
MMS - done
camera autofocus - done
stereo bluetooth - done
multi-tasking - kinda done
folders - done
voice dialing - done
search in messages/emails - almost done (ios5 promises what I want...but not as fully featured as BB's global search)
notification center - done (finally?! Really...they couldn't have done this sooner?)
BBM - sorta done (its BBM but for iphones. With 50% of my BB friends switching/swithced to iphone. just gotta sway the wife)
twitter/facebook 1st party integration - done (really... I didn't know that you couldn't "tweet" a photo before...)
audio equalizer - done
mark multiple messages as read - kinda done (you still gotta highlight each one. I just wanna do it in 2 taps like on my BB!!!!)
dedicated camera button on the side - done
too many calender updates - done

what I want:some might be available and I don't know it

The ability to change themes or at least icon design (stock icons are lame looking in my opinion)
a dedicated weather app on the home screen that shows the current temp/etc without having to go into the app. better if shown on the lock screen too
Ability to setup different ringers/audio notifications for each different event (ie google talk and SMS have different noises)
an "feeds" update that shows tweets/facebook/myspace status updates all in one list WITHOUT populating the notifications field
multiple e-mail accounts with different folders, of the same server (ie 3 different gmail accounts. One for work, one personal, one for the band)
Contacts that keep all their emails/phone numbers/etc on one card. not having to have multiples (unless my manager doesn't know how to set that up)
something similar to the blinking LED my BB does when I get a message (different colors for each notification would be nice)

theres more I'm missing... but the biggest hurdle would be touch screen. I love my physical keyboard.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:11 am

Wired wrote:
ScottyDanger wrote:What I'm more excited about is iOS 5 because I just got an iPhone and I've been dying for the simple little features that are going to make my life so much easier and make me miss my blackberry so much less.

That caused me to go research a bit. Now with iphone having iOS5 there is a chance I might go Iphone when my contract comes up for renewal next summer. That is if Blackberry don't pick up its sock and give me a QNX enabled Torch with all the fun of Android in the features that iOS keeps trying to play catchup too BB. I had a 3GS and a 4...but both failed me miserably and made me miss my BB within the month. Just not powerful enough communication tool for my job.

With each iOS release they keep identifying my biggest gripes!

copy and past - done
double tap space for period - done
custom ring tones - done (but not as full featured as BB where you can link a ringer to each individual event, including 3ed party apps)
multi user sms - done
push email - kinda done
MMS - done
camera autofocus - done
stereo bluetooth - done
multi-tasking - kinda done
folders - done
voice dialing - done
search in messages/emails - almost done (ios5 promises what I want...but not as fully featured as BB's global search)
notification center - done (finally?! Really...they couldn't have done this sooner?)
BBM - sorta done (its BBM but for iphones. With 50% of my BB friends switching/swithced to iphone. just gotta sway the wife)
twitter/facebook 1st party integration - done (really... I didn't know that you couldn't "tweet" a photo before...)
audio equalizer - done
mark multiple messages as read - kinda done (you still gotta highlight each one. I just wanna do it in 2 taps like on my BB!!!!)
dedicated camera button on the side - done
too many calender updates - done

what I want:some might be available and I don't know it

The ability to change themes or at least icon design (stock icons are lame looking in my opinion)
a dedicated weather app on the home screen that shows the current temp/etc without having to go into the app. better if shown on the lock screen too
Ability to setup different ringers/audio notifications for each different event (ie google talk and SMS have different noises)
an "feeds" update that shows tweets/facebook/myspace status updates all in one list WITHOUT populating the notifications field
multiple e-mail accounts with different folders, of the same server (ie 3 different gmail accounts. One for work, one personal, one for the band)
Contacts that keep all their emails/phone numbers/etc on one card. not having to have multiples (unless my manager doesn't know how to set that up)
something similar to the blinking LED my BB does when I get a message (different colors for each notification would be nice)

theres more I'm missing... but the biggest hurdle would be touch screen. I love my physical keyboard.
I use multiple Gmail accounts on my iPhone and my iPad. I also have them all set up as exchange accounts so I get push email from gmail. Works great for me. +1 for physical keyboard, although the iOS keyboards are by far the best touch screen keyboards I have ever used.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm starting to get annoyed that it hasn't been released yet!
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Agreed. I leave for vacation on Saturday, so I'm sure it'll come out during the week I'm gone >:(