My other guitarists Fender DeVille vs. my AD30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tiny Rocker
Tiny Terror

Re: My other guitarists Fender DeVille vs. my AD30

Post by Tiny Rocker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

jason41224 wrote:i've never met a person who can get along with the drive channel on those things.
I have a 2005 Hotrod deVille. In my opinion, the drive channel is simply w-o-r-t-h-l-e-s-s. (Cleans are gorgeous, though, and takes pedals very well.) However, those who've reviewed the new, Mk. III Hotrods have reported that the drive channel is actually rather decent. So, which amp are we talking about?

Orbis_Mortis
Tiny Terror

Post by Orbis_Mortis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm

brianr0131 wrote:I will mark this down as the first time in history a Deville was said to sound better dirty than an Orange. I know you mostly said louder but you kind of hinted towards better too. :lol:

Maybe there's something wrong with your AD30?

Those Fenders have terrible dirt sounds to my ears.
This is what I was thinking. The Fender Hot Rod series has the shittiest sounding drive I have ever heard from a tube amp.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Fender American Special Tele

Amp and Cab:
Orange AD30HTC
Mesa 2x12 Vertical

Effects:
JC Wah>VFE Enterprise>Black Forest>Pharaoh>Boiling Point>TIM>LoFi 616>Small Clone

DrAaron
Tiny Terror

Post by DrAaron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:47 am

I reckon we're talking about frequency here rather than volume. More volume wont help if there is a wall of noise in the low/mid frequency range that your AD30 is adding to. Do you also have a bass player? You've probably tried this already but back off on the bass/mid eq on the AD30 and crank the treble right up then switch to your bridge pick-up. I used to run a LP through my AD30 and with the neck pickup it was pretty mushy - lovely sound but didnt cut through the band well at all, too much low/mid......

Not sure why you are getting such a lot of feedback. I dont get that at all. You could turn the gain back a notch.
PRS SC250
Washburn WP50
Orange AD30TC
EH Holier Grail
Line 6 M13
Tanglewood Electro-acoustic
Yamaha 12-string acoustic

DrAaron
Tiny Terror

Post by DrAaron » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:00 am

Here is a way to deal with noisy drummers.....

PRS SC250
Washburn WP50
Orange AD30TC
EH Holier Grail
Line 6 M13
Tanglewood Electro-acoustic
Yamaha 12-string acoustic

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:03 pm

DrAaron wrote:Here is a way to deal with noisy drummers.....

I know which Jimi Hendrix song I'd play first on that thing.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't even have to turn my AD30's MV above 9:00 o'clock to compete with drummers. Treat your practice like a typical rock mix. Drums and vocals should be the loudest. As long as you can hear what you are on playing, then you will be fine. I've seen basement shows where the guitars are so loud that you can barely hear the drummer. That sucks (unless the drummer sucks).

Currently I have been using my 800 in my band. The singer/rhythm guitarist has a AD30 and it cuts better than me. But I like huge rhythm guitars, so I stopped playing my Rocker 30 so that I could sink a little behind his parts.

Someone said it early... guitarists have this huge problem in which they only care about their tone instead of the entire mix... so we have a problem with constantly turning up. Like I said early, give drums and vocals the first priority... thus it's easier to play and follow through the song.
Monty

mre1208
Orange Expert

Post by mre1208 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:38 pm

brianr0131 wrote:I will mark this down as the first time in history a Deville was said to sound better dirty than an Orange. I know you mostly said louder but you kind of hinted towards better too. :lol:

Maybe there's something wrong with your AD30?

Those Fenders have terrible dirt sounds to my ears.
I own an AD30TC combo AND a U.S.A. made 2x12 Deville. While I wouldn't quite say the Deville is better, I also wouldn't say it's worse. They both have unique characteristics that make them desirable. Not all amps can cover every sound. If dialed in correctly, the Deville can sound great. Likewise for the Orange.

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:25 pm

mobkon wrote:Im just curious why my buddy isnt getting any feedback and his amp is at the same volume. Im playing through a 1978 Gibson SG and he's playing through a Les Paul. When Im not playing anything, it gets feedback. Yah the logical solution would be to turn down the amps, but thats not the answer Im looking for. Just curious why hes not getting feedback and I am? Both guitars have humbuckers, wax potted etc. At a little less volume my SG is fine where a couple of my other guitars get crazy feedback.
My 1973 SG feedbacks like crazy when I have my AD30 cranked as well. I tried our other guitarist's Schecter loaded with SD Blackouts through it at the same level/settings and it was fine. Might want to try an ISP Decimator pedal.

As far as cutting through, I have my EQ set to Treble: Full - Mids: 9 - Bass: 4 - Gain: 7 or 8. I also use an MXR Micro Amp to boost.
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

stonedoutwrestler

Post by stonedoutwrestler » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 am

man you got an ad30 and if i remember those two channels that can get pretty overdriven... just to piss the dude off and maybe hint strongly that his amp is too prominent... Do the sweep to one channel(dime everything) and flip that pile of poop on when you have a lead. Or get a sitar swami pedal.. that would do the trick too.
Orange RV50
Orange Rocker 30
Orange 2x12

2009 Gibson Les Paul Custom