All you Strat/Orange users...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:08 pm

A continuation from my last thread....Im gonna get some new pups and Im looking for suggestions? I want a nice slightly hotter than vintage tone....not too thick like a humbucker, Ive got that covered. What are you all using that works well with your Orange?

EDIT: I also dont want to spend a ton on pups either, so keep it reasonable :).

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Re: All you Strat/Orange users...

Post by Captain Wedge » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:13 pm

I use Texas Specials, and they are great with my Dual Terror. I can get a great clean sound similar to Sultans of Swing or Yellow Ledbetter when I use the neck and middle pickups. When I add distortion and use the middle or last two pickups, I get a SRV meets Jimmy Page meets Hendrix tone.
Another option may be to get a humbucker pickup that fits into a single coil slot. I think Seymour Duncan makes one.
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 pm

I use Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's with my RV50C. They sound awesome and really sing with a proper setup. Keep in mind, no matter which single coils you use, you will have to dial in a bit more gain and mid to get a similar punch like a Les Paul or SG for example. "Hot" pickups aren't always better as you will often suffer in clarity and dynamic response. I always look for the "clearest" bell-like sound out of a single coil to get singing tone and not the most gain/loudness. I have the feeling from your last thread, though, that you may actually be looking for something that you will never get out of any fender/single-coil setup: a humbucker's brute force. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

billyp77
Rocker

Post by billyp77 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 pm

i have a hot rail in my bridge and it sounds great. im going to put lace sensors in the mid and neck

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Wendigo wrote:I use Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's with my RV50C. They sound awesome and really sing with a proper setup. Keep in mind, no matter which single coils you use, you will have to dial in a bit more gain and mid to get a similar punch like a Les Paul or SG for example. "Hot" pickups aren't always better as you will often suffer in clarity and dynamic response. I always look for the "clearest" bell-like sound out of a single coil to get singing tone and not the most gain/loudness. I have the feeling from your last thread, though, that you may actually be looking for something that you will never get out of any fender/single-coil setup: a humbucker's brute force. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
No, not quite looking for the humbucker sound...just something not quite so mild. The standard pups are a bit thin and tame. I used to have a Mexi Strat with a set of Tonerider City Limits pups and it sounded great...Ive also had a Highway One and I liked those as well...both sets are a little hotter.

I guess Im just looking for something that has a nice clear tone but a bit fatter sounding and a little more heat in the bridge.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:22 pm

I've had good success on my strat with the Seymour Duncan lil' Screamin Demon (great pickup!). The Duncan is a humbucker made to fit in a single coil pickup cavity, but it still kinda falls between the single coil and humbucker sound, just fat enough for my tastes while still retaining the strat sound. Especially good for dirty rock, but does everything well, including cleans. It sounded great through my Orange, only thing I've found that was better was my SG with P90's. But I'd take the strat over an SG with humbuckers any day for good tone.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:37 pm

I was going to suggest some Texas Specials too. I don't know what the pickups in my EJ are, they just have EJ handwritten on the back of them, but they are great! Sometimes they turn up on ebay from a parted out one. I always been interested in Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pound single coils, haven't heard them yet though so I don't know how hot they are. They characterize them as close to a P-90, and P-90s sound awesome in the RV50.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... r_pound_f/

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm using DiMarzio Area 67s in the neck and middle - love 'em! And no hum. They are a bit hotter than "vintage" strat pickups - they are very Hendrixy in output and tone. I use a Tone Zone S in the bridge - so I can't comment on a single coil for that spot.
Greg

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:38 pm

I have Tonerider City Limits in my strat and I love them. They don't have high output, but they are very clear and not thin at all. However, the bridge could probably be a bit thicker. They are great sounding pickup though, but you said you've had them before and you already no that.

They are a strats pickup. They sound like a strat. They sound good.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:39 pm

I should be more specific I guess...I dont want single spaced buckers or noiseless pups. Just regular ol' single coils. Also MUST be RWRP in the middle...

To give an idea of what Im looking for, right now Im looking at these pup's:

Klein S-5
Bareknuckle Mothers Milk or Irish Tour
Lollar Blackface
Fralin Vintage Hot or Real 54's
Tonerider City Limits (though Id rather not use these just for the sake of trying something new)

Most of these are bloody expensive though...the Klein's are reasonable, and the Toneriders are cheap...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I ditched some Bareknuckle Irish Tour for a Tonerider Pure Vintage. I preferred the latter and it was much cheaper...
I guess Im just looking for something that has a nice clear tone but a bit fatter sounding and a little more heat in the bridge.
Sounds like you want a Tele...

Have you tried raising the height of the pickups you've already got, or hoofing up the bass and mids on the amp first?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

cheacher
Rocker

Post by cheacher » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:31 pm

sorry to hijack, but whats the difference between the gibson p90 pickup and the strat single coils? the p90 sounds much meatier to me thru the TT. the strat is obviously very chimey compared to it. hey maybe OP could look for a p90esque pickup for his strat if there is such a thing..... maybe wasnt such a hijack after all! :D

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Again I would recommend you try the fat 50s or there are also these '69 something or other from fender...the fat 50s are just basically the old style pups with more bass and less harsh highs, while still remaining clear and bright.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:48 pm

For single coil, I'm using stock Tex Mex w/ the Roadworn strat into RV50. Best strat sound ever IMO. For single coil sized noiseless, Dimarzio Area series can't be beat.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:52 pm

I am super happy with my Tex Mex pickups, as well. Still definitely more tame than humbuckers or your typical Tele setup, but that's a Strat, that's what you get.
- Nathan