Another Silverstone Customer/Victim Goes Down

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Another Silverstone Customer/Victim Goes Down

Post by Stainboy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 am

Many of you are probably familiar with the Silverstone scenario by now. Nevertheless...

I remember a while ago people on here and on several other sites were posting about the quality of Silverstone amp covers. The workmanship looked great, especially for the price. Their website is very slick and pro, too. Back then I flagged the site and then recently I placed an order for a 412 cover. Mistake number 1. Bigger mistake number 2 was not searching the forum here and seeing Teddy's thread about the decline of Silverstone's "customer service" before I placed the order. Even bigger mistake number 3 was not Googling "Silverstone" and "Shaun Dunk" to see the countless angry people who've been bent over by this guy before I placed my order.

And now I'm one of 'em. It's been well over a month and I've never received even one single communication from Mr. Shady Dunk. I've emailed and called to zero response. Even the Paypal claim I filed wasn't enough to get me a least an email from him. I'm in the US, so I'm probably 100% screwed on this one and I'm pretty sure I'll never see the cover, much less a refund. The only good thing to come out of this is that I held off on ordering a complete set of head and cab covers for three rigs all at once. I just ordered the 412 thinking I'd order the rest of 'em if this had gone well. Lucky me.

So I'm posting this and hoping that I can save at least one person from getting taken by this guy again.
Last edited by Stainboy on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: Another Silverstone Customer/Victim Goes Down

Post by Wendigo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:57 am

Man that just sucks....

Luckily for me, I've been using dust as my amp cover up until now, and this story isn't about to make me change my ways. :wink:

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 am

Wendigo wrote:Luckily for me, I've been using dust as my amp cover up until now, and this story isn't about to make me change my ways. :wink:
Hehehehe. Well, mine does a lot of traveling and I don't wanna haul a 412 in a road case, so a padded cover is a good option....er, well, was a good option.

Swipe Card HERE

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Sorry to hear you got suckered too Greg. They're good covers if they ever actually arrive, but I'd never do business with them again. They are very unprofessional, I can't believe they're still going to be honest. Check this thread I started on Musicradar, and see howm any people weighed in with negative experiences - just one of many threads like this all over the net sadly...

http://www.musicradar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:09 pm

I know you are in the U.S. But heres some in Canada that look like very nice quality.http://www.coveramp.com/index.aspx?ln=EN

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:21 pm

My Orange 4x12 cover is padded quite heavily and is super awesome. I've only had it for about a year, so I think it's the new and improved model. My older PPC212 cover is not padded and, therefore, only kinda awesome.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Randy Bass wrote:My Orange 4x12 cover is padded quite heavily and is super awesome. I've only had it for about a year, so I think it's the new and improved model. My older PPC212 cover is not padded and, therefore, only kinda awesome.
Padding = awesome! It's a well known fact......

... Until the bra comes off.....
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Stainboy wrote:Many of you are probably familiar with the Silverstone scenario by now. Nevertheless...
Yeah it is a real shame. I have two of their covers (R.30C bought self and DR100 head which came with the amp s/h) and they are great. Was planning on grabbing more for eg my old Orange and Vox heads, couple more combos and cabs, but then read Teddy's thread...

Good that you posted again on them Stainboy. Just sad that a once good company with very good products is cutting their own throat with really bad service, even badmouthing their own clients. Thats the way though so you're dead right to warn people off them IMO. They've already lost quite a bit of custom from me!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm

That sucks.

In the U.S., I cannot recommend StudioSlips enough. They do dust covers, padded, double-padded, and padded clamshells. They are probably a bit more expensive than some of the other alternatives, but the quality is epic and the customer service is incredible. I only have one of their covers any more because I sold the other amps I had that used the others, but I have owned four different pieces of theirs, three padded covers and one dust cover.
- Nathan

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at Hot Covers. They look like they're made and padded as well as the Silverstones and the prices are good. They have a great rep too. What bothers me about this whole thing is that I'm a really patient person when it comes to buying good gear. I'll wait two months for something if I know I'm going to get high quality stuff. I don't need constant updates, just confirm my order and tell me when it will ship and I'm cool. With Silverstone, I've gone through ordering, countless emails and phone calls and finally a Paypal claim without a single communication from this guy. Too bad, 'cause their work looks really nice and they would've had a lot of business from me.

Hey Teddy, I did see your thread here and on Musicradar. It's one of the first threads to come up on Google. I looked at it a few weeks back and said "Oh no!", Heh.

Swipe Card HERE

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:51 pm

Another thing worth noting is I was wondering why my AD30 is getting loads of black marks on it despite always having the cover on between playing - I've recently realised it's something to do with the material inside the cover rubbing off on the amp! I'm sure this isn't the case with all materials used for covers.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:17 am

Update: my money was refunded by Paypal yesterday after I filed a dispute and Silverstone never responded to it. I went through this whole process without any communication from Silverstone, whatsoever. So as many before me have said, AVOID.

At least I got a refund, so I'm thankful for that.

Swipe Card HERE

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Glad to hear you finally got your money back at least!
Teddy
I play an AD30TC