G string problem

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

blenk
Rocker

G string problem

Post by blenk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:18 am

im having a major problem, when i tune the g string its fine playing it open but if i fret anywhere on it, it sounds of tune, however if I fret 1st fret of the g sting(G#) and tune that everything fine apart from whenm i play it open.

anyone had this problem before or have an idea of what it is?

Thanks
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Re: G string problem

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 am

Is your intonation setup properly?

Tune up g string as normal

Fret at 12th, is it g? Adjust as nessasary and retune open g again then recheck.

I think you need to check the difference between the harmonic on the 12th and the fretted note on the 12th also.

Others could explain better tho
Tone is everything

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:31 am

Yes, tune the open string (use new strings) to G, and the fretted note and the harmonic on the 12th fret both have to be G. It can take a while, and remember, there is o such thing as close enough....even if it's a tiny bit off you may notice problems. I'm guessing this is a Gibson? The nut may also be at fault (too high).

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 pm

No it's my strat, I've recently replaced the nut, tees and saddles but it was working fine only in the last week had it been like this. I'm sure the intonation is right but I'll check again. I re-wired it all again yesterday, took me 5hrs, it was a right mess inside and this problem is now all that needs sorting.
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 pm

blenk wrote:No it's my strat, I've recently replaced the nut, tees and saddles but it was working fine only in the last week had it been like this. I'm sure the intonation is right but I'll check again. I re-wired it all again yesterday, took me 5hrs, it was a right mess inside and this problem is now all that needs sorting.
If it's not the intonation, I would definitely be suspicious of the nut. ESPECIALLY if you changed all those parts. String guage is a factor with all of that too. If your nut isn't right, your intonation won't be either.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:53 pm

Jondog wrote:
blenk wrote:No it's my strat, I've recently replaced the nut, tees and saddles but it was working fine only in the last week had it been like this. I'm sure the intonation is right but I'll check again. I re-wired it all again yesterday, took me 5hrs, it was a right mess inside and this problem is now all that needs sorting.
If it's not the intonation, I would definitely be suspicious of the nut. ESPECIALLY if you changed all those parts. String guage is a factor with all of that too. If your nut isn't right, your intonation won't be either.

+1 seems a tad too coincidental considering it was working fine prior to that.

There is also the question of "have you had it in a spot with less than optimal humidity? this can cause the neck to warp slightly as the wood dries out, granted mostly in acoustics, but it can happen in electrics." I would still tend to lean towards either the nut, tees or saddles as odds are it is one of the three components causing your problem
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

StonieSlagg
Rocker

Post by StonieSlagg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:03 pm

from what I've been told, it's almost impossible to intonate a plain G. I know a lot of guys who use a wound G in the studio for just this reason. Personally, I always use a wound G and never have any trouble...

Everyone tells me they're crazy. Well crazy people aren't so f**king boring. So wake me when you're through being cool, cause I'm snoring...

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 pm

StonieSlagg wrote:from what I've been told, it's almost impossible to intonate a plain G. I know a lot of guys who use a wound G in the studio for just this reason. Personally, I always use a wound G and never have any trouble...
+ 1

I've been using 10-52 for a long time. Then, I moved on to 11-52. Wounded G string. Never ever had any G string problem. Even on my Gibson, wich seems impossible ! :lol:

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Darn - this thread is about guitars :( .

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 pm

I use a wound 3rd just because it feels better. I don't usually have tuning problems... so maybe there's something to it.
- Nathan

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:21 pm

apart from the wound G (which is a great idea), you might also want to look at your action, both at the bridge and at the nut. usually the first 3 frets can be slightly sharp compared to the rest of the guitar, even when properly intonated. that's just how it's gonna be; guitars are imperfect instruments, they have slight tuning problems here and there. but so do pianos for example; try listening to an old, slightly out of tune grand piano. it's gorgeous sounding and full of character. i much prefer that sound to a perfectly tuned, digital keyboard.

if you want to be perfectly in tune (like for recording purposes), try spot tuning. instead of tuning the open string, tune to a note on the string where you will be playing the most. like if you're playing a solo near the 10th fret, tune to the F note on the G string. it's not ideal, but it works in a pinch.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:11 pm

It's common for this to happen... if you're just noticing it, you've been blessed all these years with not noticing it.

Most guys I know, when they go into the studio specifically tune the guitar to compensate for this. So if you're playing a lot of cowboy chords tune the G string for that... if it's other chords, tune the chord.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 pm

If you use harmonics at the 5th and 7th frets the G string will sound out of tune. It is the first string to go out of tune when you play. Use a good tuner, a wound G string, and check the tuning on various frets and find the tension that gives the best overall closeness to being in tune. It is also is hard to tune by ear.

Have fun!
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm

sounds like the nut is too high to me
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Randy Bass wrote:Darn - this thread is about guitars :( .
I knew I'd see this from you, Randy.
Monty