People who don't care about gear?!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

People who don't care about gear?!

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 pm

I don't get it at all. They'll just play whatever and don't care. Makes me play like crap to use crappy amps, crappy drums, crappy whatever. Also good gear makes a decent band sound great. I make up for my lack of talent with good gear. ha.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: People who don't care about gear?!

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:05 pm

I wish I was in that camp. I have bought wayyyyy to much "great" gear.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 pm

same I wish I was like that, I'm too indecisive and picky
Wolfy'

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 pm

i've narrowed it down to the difference between impulse buyers and savers. savers (like me) are much more likely to get severe cases of GAS, because they want to research every little detail about their gear and know for sure that what they're getting is the best they can get because they'll save their money that way. impulse buyers, like my other guitarist, will go into Guitar Center to buy a pack of strings, buy a Taylor 114ce instead, and 6 months later, put it up for sale on Craigslist. all while he still plays out of a crappy Vox Valvestate 212 :lol: i don't get it either.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 pm

jason41224 wrote:i've narrowed it down to the difference between impulse buyers and savers. savers (like me) are much more likely to get severe cases of GAS, because they want to research every little detail about their gear and know for sure that what they're getting is the best they can get because they'll save their money that way. impulse buyers, like my other guitarist, will go into Guitar Center to buy a pack of strings, buy a Taylor 114ce instead, and 6 months later, put it up for sale on Craigslist. all while he still plays out of a crappy Vox Valvestate 212 :lol: i don't get it either.
I'm quite like that, I save some money an then I go look at gear and then need to know every little detail,If it is the best. thats why I post so many threads asking about pedals i guess
Wolfy'

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 pm

I don't understand the guitar players that are way better than me that are still playing out of 50w SS combos and mexi strats.
Monty

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I don't understand the guitar players that are way better than me that are still playing out of 50w SS combos and mexi strats.
That's exactly what I mean right there.

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I don't understand the guitar players that are way better than me that are still playing out of 50w SS combos and mexi strats.
I know me neither, I also don't get the really, really, absolutely, monumentally, undeniably, preposterously crap guitar players with £2000 amps and guitars and all the best gear in the world, when I see this I say to my self: "it's not fair, I'm infinitely better at playing guitar than you, I deserve the rectifier and the ibanez prestige" but I think it's great when you see great guitarists playing through great gear, it sound divine.

(I wasn't trying to be cocky, i'm not the best player myself, but you get the picture?)
Wolfy'

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Wolfe wrote:
I know me neither, I also don't get the really, really, absolutely, monumentally, undeniably, preposterously crap guitar players with £2000 amps and guitars and all the best gear in the world, when I see this I say to my self: "it's not fair, I'm infinitely better at playing guitar than you, I deserve the rectifier and the ibanez prestige" but I think it's great when you see great guitarists playing through great gear, it sound divine.

(I wasn't trying to be cocky, i'm not the best player myself, but you get the picture?)
Rectifier and ibanez prestige? Great gear? Ok then...
Jamie T

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:23 pm

Gear is nice to have but does not maketh the player. If you think you play like crap on heap gear then you probably aren't playing all that great on the good gear either.

I've played great sounding stuff through a Vox Amplug, Fender G-Dec, Line 6 or Chinese/Mexican whatever strats. My P90 style pickups are made in China for GFS and cost me $30 a piece. I'm not trying to talk myself up here but seriously, if you think that gear makes you a better player then you're wrong.

One of my favourite local players, Lex from Seedy Jeezus, plays random part cheap strats and teles through a Marshall SS Valvestate. Personally I think he sounds infinitely better than most of the guys I see with high end rigs. It's all down to the technique and the ability, not the hardware.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 pm

yes, i totally agree. but while good gear can't make a bad player good, it sure as hell can make a good player great.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:29 pm

jason41224 wrote:yes, i totally agree. but while good gear can't make a bad player good, it sure as hell can make a good player great.
That's it, it's nice to have to help you achieve the tone that's in your head, not to make you a better player. I'll guarantee that Tango would play just as well using an Epiphone as she does using her LP Custom.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:39 am

When I was a little younger and I went out drinking at bars and clubs, I would spend a fortune on clothes and s**t to make sure I felt my best and felt comfortable. I now feel the same way about my gear when I go play a show, I like to have confidence that my gear is gonna sound great, helps me relax and concentrate on playing rather than worrying if my tone is ok.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 am

Wolfe wrote: I know me neither, I also don't get the really, really, absolutely, monumentally, undeniably, preposterously crap guitar players with £2000 amps and guitars and all the best gear in the world, when I see this I say to my self: "it's not fair, I'm infinitely better at playing guitar than you, I deserve the rectifier and the ibanez prestige" but I think it's great when you see great guitarists playing through great gear, it sound divine.

My playing does not deserve me the gear I have. I am honestly a pretty bad player. Yeah I can hold my own and write good material, but I still make mistakes live. I view myself in the least talented class among actual guitarists. Sure I can play better than some frat bro who plays oasis covers on his Ibanez acoustic... but I don't consider them guitarists... more-so guitar owners. Guitar playing is my passion and I can write some killer tunes, but if you ask me to do anything technical, you will just get a deer in the headlights look from me.

I crave tone, and that is why I don't understand why so many people so serious about their playing don't throw up some extra change for an amp and electric upgrade.
Monty

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:32 am

It is impossible to define a musician as someone who doesn't care about his sound. Though some musicians don't care investing in gear (in GAS they don't trust).

There are lot of reasons for using average (not bad) gear -portability, cost... habit: a musician might be feeling more comfortable with his good-old mexican (strat) girl over his brand new american beauty.

Some people don't believe they can sound better than plugging-on-a-15w-ss-fender (I used to be one of them). Ok, they are wrong.

Learning to use the right gear is part of the game.

A skillful musician can make crappy gear sound like heaven (and he/she knows that). However, a novice should always get fine gear - a good instrument can motivate you to practice and also helps you develop the sense of expression in playing.