Wah: MXR-CAE vs. Budda

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:02 am

so, i'm about to go splurge on a wah. both the MXR and the Budda are priced the same ($170 @ MF). both have gotten some pretty nice reviews and sound great on youtube. which one would you guys get? i'm sorta leaning towards the MXR because the dual inductors make it so versitale.

i'm playing some pretty diverse stuff too...both clean and distorted. i tend to prefer a more throatier "whoa" sound, but i like to have a little of both, and i've never had a wah permanently on my board. but i'm starting to get into it more and i think i'd use it more if i had a good one.

anyways, has anyone owned one (or both) of these?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 am

Sorry, I have no experience with the Budda but I have the MXR-CAE and I wouldn't even think of replacing it. It's very versatile as you said, the red channel setting gives you a throaty wah if that's what you're looking for, both channels are great in their own right though. It doesn't suck tone like most other wah pedals either. There was a thread here not long ago about the MXR-CAE and it was getting rave reviews here as well. I have a video on youtube using it through an Orange DT, let me know if you want the link. I don't feel like posting it unless asked cause I don't want to become a spammer! :lol:

Anyways, great pedal, I highly recommend it!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Wah: MXR-CAE vs. Budda

Post by Jondog » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 am

I have the Dunlop 535Q Crybaby which is basically the same as the MXR...minus a couple small features. I wanted the MXR but it wasn't in stock and I didn't want to wait for it. Anyways, highly recommend, very versatile. Dunlop sells all those signature artist pedals and this wah will cover all those and then some. I love the boost feature too!

HenningSB

Post by HenningSB » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:13 am

I have the CAE-wah, great pedal, great company. I even have the booster, and the overdrive/booster (not that big a fan of the last one) and I have a Custom Audio Japan Twin Tremolo, love it to death- and I have ordered a Custom Audio Japan Freddy Fuzz. Sweet.

The CAE-wah is great, so many settings, even with the internal trimpot- Can go from very voicy to very dark and meaty. And the built in boost is a great feature, clean boost that can make the wah crack a little bit more.
I would not replace it for any other wah, and I've been through alot of wah's before getting this one!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:19 am

awesome, good to know that some people like the CAE. what about the Budwah? i'm still pretty curious about that one.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

bigdawg
Tiny Terror

Post by bigdawg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

look for a 2nd hand clyde deluxe wah - quite simply the best wah on the market today (and Ive used a lot of wahs).

The budda tone sucks big time, otherwise it would be very good, the MXR is good but not as good as the clyde....

If its versatility you want in a wah then look at the ibanez weepin demon (although its frickin huge!) or a the chi wah wah - both also have the feature of a spring return on the plates (ie the pedal returns to high position after you take oyuor foot off it), but they also dont require you to click a switch to operate
Jesus said - Come forth and I will grant you eternal life...

But I only came fifth and got the kettle...

----------------------------------------

Dont knock on death's door....

Ring the bell and leggit.... that really p**ses him off

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:49 pm

bigdawg wrote:look for a 2nd hand clyde deluxe wah - quite simply the best wah on the market today (and Ive used a lot of wahs).

The budda tone sucks big time, otherwise it would be very good, the MXR is good but not as good as the clyde....

If its versatility you want in a wah then look at the ibanez weepin demon (although its frickin huge!) or a the chi wah wah - both also have the feature of a spring return on the plates (ie the pedal returns to high position after you take oyuor foot off it), but they also dont require you to click a switch to operate
I had a Weeping Demon, it was nice but didn't sound very transparent to me.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

I've been looking at the Budwah also very impressed with what i've heard on utube. The MXR looks nice but i've not found a convincing demo of it yet, although the extra features could maybe tip the balance if I did.
Paul.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 pm

OrangePaul wrote:I've been looking at the Budwah also very impressed with what i've heard on utube. The MXR looks nice but i've not found a convincing demo of it yet, although the extra features could maybe tip the balance if I did.
proguitarshop and burgerman666 have some pretty good demos of the MXR. actually, i've yet to see a convincing demo of the budda but i have heard amazing things about it.
I had a Weeping Demon, it was nice but didn't sound very transparent to me.
yeah, i don't care much for the WD.
look for a 2nd hand clyde deluxe wah - quite simply the best wah on the market today (and Ive used a lot of wahs).

whaddya know. i just found one on guitar center for the exact same price as the other two. thanks for complicating my search :roll:
i've heard a lot of great things about the clyde but i don't know much else about it. thanks!

and the budda sucks tone? interesting. i thought it was true bypass?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm

The Budda wah is nice, but every few years they change it up. It used to be made by Dunlop for Budda actually. Who knows now that Peavey bought Budda, it's probably made in China.

I tried all the mass produced wahs except the CAE, I've also had a Teese Pic and a couple of Area 51's.
I'de love to try a Wilson wah also, I've never read one bad review of the Wilsons. The Area 51 is also one of my top pics. But...the CAE and Teese Joe Walsh will be the next wah I try out.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 pm

well, i decided to go with the MXR. i found it on Amazon for about $10 cheaper, along with another Planet Waves Cable Station for about $15 cheaper than what it's going for now :D next step, PP2+ and a Volume Pedal, then the Diamond Tremolo.

i'll let you guys know how it turns out. should be here in a week or so.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Wolfe
Tiny Terror

Post by Wolfe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:45 am

well if you want a beastly two wahs in one with a boost and loads of options that sounds awesome, get the cae

if you want a simple vintage sounding wah with a tight sweep that sounds great get the budda

personally I would get the cae because it's got an optional boost so if you use it for solos it would be great, it also looks beast :mrgreen:

edit: good choice on the mxr (I didn't see that you had bought one :lol: )
Wolfy'