DIY effect pedals???

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

DIY effect pedals???

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi All!

The Lady and I have been discussing my need to learn soldering, so that I can try my hand at plumbing....

What better to learn soldering on than on DIY pedal clones?

Where do you guys get yours?
Any UK shop? Not against ordering from the US, but between foreign ex. + shipping + possible Tax, a kit looking more expansive in england might turn out sensibly cheaper.

Neil, what do you use to paint your boxes???

Any recommendations? What's a reasonnably easy pedal to start with?

Am considering phasers, delay, echo, tremolo, clean boosts, perhaps fuzzes.... well..... not too fussy really!!!! :lol:

Look forward to reading your ideas!!!! Cheers!!!!! :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: DIY effect pedals???

Post by Jondog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I'll start by saying don't use a flame to solder the pedals :lol:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Ah, ah!!!!!

There goes my flame thrower purchase plan....... :wink:
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Jondog wrote:I'll start by saying don't use a flame to solder the pedals :lol:
Or a toilet! Keep your plumbing practice away from the DIY pedals!

Anyways, I dunno about UK based pedal-kit companies, but a fuzz face is about the most simple pedal of all time. There's probably 10 components in the circuit, and it'll teach you how to correctly wire a transistor (which is probably one of the easier components to install wrong, besides diodes or polarized caps backwards)!

Besides that, you can step up and do some overdrive style pedals, or boosts. Most are between 15-30 components and use an op-amp or two.

When you start getting into phasers, delays, reverbs, you start getting more complex circuits (probably intermediate level, even for the basic effects) that can be difficult to debug if you swap a couple leads or solder a component to the wrong junction. I wouldn't start with one of those, but after you get an OD/fuzz/boost or two under your belt, you should be ready to accept the challenge! If you get a kit with a predesigned PCB with labels for components and a picture-schematic and all the necessary components, then they'll probably not too big of a challenge. But if you're building from scratch onto a perf board and laying out the circuit yourself, the more complex circuits for time based effects can be confusing.

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Erm plumbing soldering is totally different to soldering electronics, its closer to braising than anything else.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:44 pm

PopnFresh wrote:Erm plumbing soldering is totally different to soldering electronics, its closer to braising than anything else.
Yes, be careful. Plumbing solder has an acid core that will eat your circuits alive if used on electronics.

To paint boxes I use enamel, automotive if possible, and I buy the boxes pre-powder coated.

Check out http://www.tonepad.com for tips on making your own circuit boards, or you can look at doing other ways, like vero board.

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Learn to solder, very easy then use push fittings for pluming. Easy both ways!
Tone is everything

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Oddly enough I was watching a show last night and they profiled a Computer modder. He takes things like Beer Kegs and Ammo boxes etc.. and adds clear windows to see through and cool lighting effects displaying the circuitry. He plumbs clear tubing through them which has cool water flowing through them to keep the systems from overheating.
http://www.geekologie.com/2010/11/beerc ... _keg_c.php

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Jondog wrote:Oddly enough I was watching a show last night and they profiled a Computer modder. He takes things like Beer Kegs and Ammo boxes etc.. and adds clear windows to see through and cool lighting effects displaying the circuitry. He plumbs clear tubing through them which has cool water flowing through them to keep the systems from overheating.
I wanna see a beige box PC tower that dispenses beer. That thing is awesome (except for the part about being the biggest, heaviest computer you could find :D ). The only thing crazier than that would be to stick a computer inside of an Orange combo amp!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Jondog wrote:Oddly enough I was watching a show last night and they profiled a Computer modder. He takes things like Beer Kegs and Ammo boxes etc.. and adds clear windows to see through and cool lighting effects displaying the circuitry. He plumbs clear tubing through them which has cool water flowing through them to keep the systems from overheating.
I wanna see a beige box PC tower that dispenses beer. That thing is awesome (except for the part about being the biggest, heaviest computer you could find :D ). The only thing crazier than that would be to stick a computer inside of an Orange combo amp!
YOU....ARE.....IN LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Neiloler wrote:
PopnFresh wrote:Erm plumbing soldering is totally different to soldering electronics, its closer to braising than anything else.
Yes, be careful. Plumbing solder has an acid core that will eat your circuits alive if used on electronics.

To paint boxes I use enamel, automotive if possible, and I buy the boxes pre-powder coated.

Check out http://www.tonepad.com for tips on making your own circuit boards, or you can look at doing other ways, like vero board.
Honestely didn't know they were different solders!

So those paints sound nice and easy to use! Do you clear coat them too?
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:Learn to solder, very easy then use push fittings for pluming. Easy both ways!
Used to be an insurance underwriter, pushfit are the cause of so many claims! Single handedely raised the cost of plumbing liability insurance by about 50%! Compression fittings good though. :)

Still have to learn to solder!
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
Jondog wrote:I'll start by saying don't use a flame to solder the pedals :lol:
Or a toilet! Keep your plumbing practice away from the DIY pedals!

Anyways, I dunno about UK based pedal-kit companies, but a fuzz face is about the most simple pedal of all time. There's probably 10 components in the circuit, and it'll teach you how to correctly wire a transistor (which is probably one of the easier components to install wrong, besides diodes or polarized caps backwards)!

Besides that, you can step up and do some overdrive style pedals, or boosts. Most are between 15-30 components and use an op-amp or two.

When you start getting into phasers, delays, reverbs, you start getting more complex circuits (probably intermediate level, even for the basic effects) that can be difficult to debug if you swap a couple leads or solder a component to the wrong junction. I wouldn't start with one of those, but after you get an OD/fuzz/boost or two under your belt, you should be ready to accept the challenge! If you get a kit with a predesigned PCB with labels for components and a picture-schematic and all the necessary components, then they'll probably not too big of a challenge. But if you're building from scratch onto a perf board and laying out the circuit yourself, the more complex circuits for time based effects can be confusing.

Just had to take my toilet of my wall twice this weekend... Not keen to do anymore plumbing around that! Yuk!

So a fuzz or a boost might be on the cards!
Sounds very exciting!

Any kit or circuit recommendations?
To go through a RV50 or AD5?
Ant

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 pm

his wife doesn't have to know that :roll:
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Go on the music radar forum and look up a user called nocaster (Kevin) he supplies a limited range of low cost kits that seem to get excellent tonal results and good user feedback.
Here we go; three, four...