nay
33%

Total votes: 36

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Re: bring back the rocker 30!!!

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:20 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:I don't think the R30 should be reissued so soon after being discontinued. Orange has two other twin-channel 30-watters in the lineup anyways. I'd rather see the Dirty Channel from the Rocker 30 turned into a single-channel Custom Shop OR30 head. Give it a Pics Only front panel and it'll be a winner.
+1, I mentioned the OR30 in a different thread but yeah. I'm a supporter of the OR30. Mostly I just want to type the abbreviation OR30 enough so that it gets noticed by Orange and they make it happen. OR30
+2, In fact I think I was the first to coin the OR30! (not to pat myself on the back or anything :oops: ) But seriously, Rocker 30 power section, OR preamp with more gain, and reverb. Thats what I want to see. It should take pedals just as well as the OR series amps do.

I actually love my RV50, and with the scumback speakers I can't see myself getting a different head anytime soon. With a touch of reverb on the dirty channel, the tone is outstanding. I love reverb.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am

Or they should do an OR120 reissue voiced with more gain but with a single switch that takes it to ~35W (like the TH100's half power/half valve switches in 1- or keep it as 2 switches like the TH100 for more flexibility). That way you still have the tonal impact of the huge transformers, but the flexibility to have a vintage OR120 BEAST, or an amp that is more sensible for modern stages.

This is probably not practical in terms of pricing the amp competitively, but if it's a custom shop model who cares. I guess it might be easy since they already have the power switching circuit designed for the TH100. It'd be sweet to have an OR120/~80/~35 in the same amp!

Again, I want pics only graphics, a footswitchable FAC (between left position and any other setting), HFD, bass, treble, gain, MV. Maybe an f/x ("Echo") loop up front too.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:56 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Or they should do an OR120 reissue voiced with more gain but with a single switch that takes it to ~35W (like the TH100's half power/half valve switches in 1- or keep it as 2 switches like the TH100 for more flexibility). That way you still have the tonal impact of the huge transformers, but the flexibility to have a vintage OR120 BEAST, or an amp that is more sensible for modern stages.

This is probably not practical in terms of pricing the amp competitively, but if it's a custom shop model who cares. I guess it might be easy since they already have the power switching circuit designed for the TH100. It'd be sweet to have an OR120/~80/~35 in the same amp!

Again, I want pics only graphics, a footswitchable FAC (between left position and any other setting), HFD, bass, treble, gain, MV. Maybe an f/x ("Echo") loop up front too.
*Taps foot and waits for Tesla to say "Matamp can do that"
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Or they should do an OR120 reissue voiced with more gain but with a single switch that takes it to ~35W (like the TH100's half power/half valve switches in 1- or keep it as 2 switches like the TH100 for more flexibility). That way you still have the tonal impact of the huge transformers, but the flexibility to have a vintage OR120 BEAST, or an amp that is more sensible for modern stages.

I like the idea about the power scaling for an OR120. That would be cool. But I still think that the OR30 would be a great idea jsut because we know the price range that OR120 would be in. And it's not mine.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:42 pm

All of the power scaling ideas are great, but I still want to see the custom shop do some bare bones straight up simple circuits in a higher wattage offerings. We've only been able to have 50 watt heads from them for way too long. I'd love an OR120 overdrive, handwired, single channel, with a better master volume........and I'd love to see the AD140 Lead reintroduced to their lineup. After those, I think that Orange really needs to think differently about their custom shop, and get it beefed up a lot. They should be competing with Matamp for custom made amps. Matamp will/can make you just about any amp you can dream up. Orange custom shop should aspire to this.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm

^i don't know, it would be nice, but from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense. Matamp has their market niche--custom made amps, and Orange has theirs--mass produced amps in the same vein. I like their custom shop the way it is. making higher quality, rarer versions of orange products. although i do wish there was more, and more throwbacks (OR120 or OR30). if they tried to cross over and compete with Matamp for custom boutique amps, they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they would in the commercial market.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:05 am

jason41224 wrote:^i don't know, it would be nice, but from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense. Matamp has their market niche--custom made amps, and Orange has theirs--mass produced amps in the same vein. I like their custom shop the way it is. making higher quality, rarer versions of orange products. although i do wish there was more, and more throwbacks (OR120 or OR30). if they tried to cross over and compete with Matamp for custom boutique amps, they wouldn't be nearly as successful as they would in the commercial market.
Yeah, I'm not saying do anything different on the commercial market, just step up the custom shop a bit. I guess the way I worded competing full force with Matamp on the custom level was overkill, and not entirely what I meant. I would just like to see so more offerings from the CS
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah, the power scaling would be cool, but I'd much rather have a straight up OR30. I also agree that Orange should whip out a couple new custom shop models, or even reissue the AD140 or something. Something a little different than a 50w head with XXX tone controls, gain/MV and the same footswitchable boost would be cool!

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:03 pm

brianr0131 wrote:I voted no because I am greedy and I want my Rocker all to myself. :lol:
Good point, I voted yes, but thinking about it I want mine a) to be marvelled at as a wonderful rarity and b) to be a collectors' piece when I need the cash aged 83.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:58 pm

^only about 9 more years to go until my amps value skyrockets! :lol:
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:50 pm

OR30 :D

It always use to suprise me though that the Dual Terror wasn't far more popular with you guys on here...
Paul.

Dolf
Tiny Terror

Post by Dolf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:45 pm

It won't happen.

That being said, my band owns three :D

I will be collecting them over the course of our career.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:05 am

Dolf wrote:It won't happen.

That being said, my band owns three :D

I will be collecting them over the course of our career.
You know it is so tempting for me to go grab the black R.30C which is still sitting next to an orange one in a shop near me. Price is the same as I paid for mine and I've always liked black Oranges. I keep wishing they'd sell it and take the temptation away. I really don't need it but the temptation is huge!

Should Orange reissue the amp? Probably not - not right now anyway. (How I'm voting then.) They'll have all the sales facts and figures and will have decided that things were tailing off and they could make more sales with different new designs. It'll have been a purely business decision and probably the right one.

Will they eventually reissue it though? Wouldn't surprise me at all in a few years time. I truly believe the R.30 was the best of all the modern Orange designs in terms of all round balance. With its beefy 30W output section, great 'Dirty' channel (anything from shimmering clean to as dirty as most will ever need), and the simplest possible low gain 'Natural' channel (which you can do what you want with from adding nothing to any pedals you care to try) they came up with a bare bones tone monster. Exactly zero frills, but none were needed.

I've always loved the Natural channel every bit as much as the Dirty one. With EQ you can always change the tonality - dramatically if needed. (I've taken to plugging my parametric EQ into the Natural channel get two different core sounds, but a good graphic would work fine there too.) With a simple volume boost you can get louder cleans before distortion. (For those who find it too quiet as is this solution does work as the channel is so low gain that there is TONS of preamp headroom!) And with drive or distortion pedals you can dial your own grit to taste at any volume.

It is a very well rounded totally usable amp with two channels which work brilliantly together, and now has such a good reputation with users that 'classic Orange' status is a sure fire certainty. That is why I think they may well eventually reissue it, but probably not too soon.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 am

I've always loved the Natural channel every bit as much as the Dirty one. With EQ you can always change the tonality - dramatically if needed. (I've taken to plugging my parametric EQ into the Natural channel get two different core sounds, but a good graphic would work fine there too.)
+1. scooping the mids on my boss 7-band EQ makes it sound very fendery, or i can boost some presence and get it to sound really voxy. i love it to death.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:58 am

jason41224 wrote:
i think the best orange amp would be a single channel 50w 2x12 combo that is JUST the natural channel of the rocker 30
i freakin' love that idea. orange needs a clean amp in their line, in my opinion. maybe since it would only be one knob, they could throw in some reverb and tremolo to boot.
now that is a seriously sexy idea... i might even come back to orange for that...

(still use the bass terror though)
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/